PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quote of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe he's disgusted at Caldwell whoring himself out to a bitter rival. "Here Coach Mangina, this is everything I know..." And of course after Caldwell gives them what little he knew, he leaves without a contract.

That's a stretch. Caldwell is out of work and needs a job. If the Jets are coming calling, why shouldn't he take a meeting with the Jets? I think Vrabel understands that. Vrabel is a reasonable guy. I doubt he would blame Caldwell for trying to get a job.

The guy is gone already. Stop the hating. If the Pats cut him, Caldwell is not whoring himself out if he is trying to get picked up by a team. If Caldwell makes the opening day roster, his contract is guaranteed.

The fact of the matter is that Vrabel being serious about this is out of his character. Him joking about this is in his character.

That's a stretch. Caldwell is out of work and needs a job. If the Jets are coming calling, why shouldn't he take a meeting with the Jets? I think Vrabel understands that. Vrabel is a reasonable guy. I doubt he would blame Caldwell for trying to get a job.

The guy is gone already. Stop the hating. If the Pats cut him, Caldwell is not whoring himself out if he is trying to get picked up by a team. If Caldwell makes the opening day roster, his contract is guaranteed.

The fact of the matter is that Vrabel being serious about this is out of his character. Him joking about this is in his character.

You're jumping to conclusions here. We don't know whether Vrabel is being serious or joking yet.

If Caldwell had any morals then he would refuse to give Mangina the Pats preseason playbook until they agreed a contract. With these antics, it looks like Caldwell is just trying to spite the team who saved his career.

Maybe this is out of context -- it's a quote from the media after all. Maybe Vrabes was asked if there was concern that the Jets were recruiting Caldwell to gain insight into the Pats week 1 game plan and he joking replied that “Reche Caldwell barely knew our offense.”

Let's not go crazy over a snippet of a quote.

Hey guys ... not to get all Journalism 101 here, but I provided you with context when I offered the question. (A hack would have simply posted the quote without background.) In addition, anyone who has followed my work here on patsfans.com over the last year-plus knows I'm not the sort of person to a) take a quote out of context, or b) needlessly make a player look foolish in the name of stirring the pot. I checked with two other reporters to get the quote and the context correctly. If there's a problem with how I did it, feel free to PM me.

Hey guys ... not to get all Journalism 101 here, but I provided you with context when I offered the question. (A hack would have simply posted the quote without background.) In addition, anyone who has followed my work here on patsfans.com over the last year-plus knows I'm not the sort of person to a) take a quote out of context, or b) needlessly make a player look foolish in the name of stirring the pot. I checked with two other reporters to get the quote and the context correctly. If there's a problem with how I did it, feel free to PM me.

So Vrabel was being serious then. For the record, I never doubted your reporting.

You're jumping to conclusions here. We don't know whether Vrabel is being serious or joking yet.

If Caldwell had any morals then he would refuse to give Mangina the Pats preseason playbook until they agreed a contract. With these antics, it looks like Caldwell is just trying to spite the team who saved his career.

Lemme get this straight.

Caldwell comes in last year as a #3 or #4 WR. Circumstances occur where he is thrust into a more important role. He makes 61 receptions, leads the team, takes the most hellacious hit on a football field that I've seen a Pats WR (since a night in August 1978), is the one WR who exceeded all expectations for him in 2006, goes to the DAY AFTER the 53 man cutdown is announced the following year and is only THEN cut............and HE is the one with no morals for looking anywhere for a job????????

Sey, help me understand this thinking.

So Vrabel was being serious then. For the record, I never doubted your reporting.

It looked to me to be half-joking, half-serious, quite honestly. And I know you're always in my corner, Sey--thanks for the shout out....

Lemme get this straight.

Caldwell comes in last year as a #3 or #4 WR. Circumstances occur where he is thrust into a more important role. He makes 61 receptions, leads the team, takes the most hellacious hit on a football field that I've seen a Pats WR (since a night in August 1978), is the one WR who exceeded all expectations for him in 2006, goes to the DAY AFTER the 53 man cutdown is announced the following year and is only THEN cut............and HE is the one with no morals for looking anywhere for a job????????

Good luck getting people here to grasp this. I took crap for goodness knows how many pages of posts for daring to point out my distaste for the manner in which Caldwell was treated.

Last edited:

It isn't about morals, it is about smarts. If Caldwell was smart he wouldn't give up any information without a contract. Make them at least give him a veteran's minimum contract guaranteed to get that information.

Let's face it. If the rumors about Andre Dyson came true, you would be happy if the Pats interviewed him just to get inside intel. You probably wouldn't have a problem with Dyson's morality.

As for Vrabel, if he wasn't joking, I am a little disapointed in him. I think it is not a classy thing to do even if Caldwell did struggle with the playbook and I figured that Vrabel would be above that kind of stuff. I hope for Vrabel's sake more than Caldwell's that he was joking.

Lemme get this straight.

Those points you've made really don't have much to do with the issue here. The issue is does Vrabel have a reason to be pissed because one of his former teammates is going around, without preconditions, giving rivals our preseason playbook? I say yes. What does Caldwell gain from it? Nothing. He left without a contract. He's still a FA.

For the record, Mike Reiss has edited the Q & A with Mike Vrabel section on his page to state that the comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

What context did you post...
Here’s something to look for on the news tonight. When asked about the release of wide receiver Reche Caldwell and the possibility of Caldwell going to the Jets to help New York, linebacker Mike Vrabel said, “Reche Caldwell barely knew our offense.”
from your 'more' link...
Here’s something to look for on the news tonight. When asked about the release of wide receiver Reche Caldwell and the possibility of Caldwell going to the Jets to help New York, linebacker Mike Vrabel said, “Reche Caldwell barely knew our offense.”
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any context -- not the question asked or whether he was kidding or serious. No knock on you -- I read you regularly -- but this feels like a tease to me. I don't think a fan should give the Jets bulletin board material, and I don't think Vrabel would. I'm just suggesting people should relax until we see a clip of the quote.

For the record, Mike Reiss has edited the Q & A with Mike Vrabel section on his page to state that the comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Completely in character for Vrabes, a wiseass. :)

I personally thought it was out of character for Vrabel to say something like this honestly. I was actually hoping for Vrabel's sake that he was joking because otherwise it is kinda classless to do. Even joking it isn't all that classy to jokingly kick a former teammate as he is going out the door.

You probably know better than I that Vrabel is known as a jokester. It just seems like in his nature to jokingly make fun of Caldwell than seriously trash the guy. When has Vrabel ever made negative comments about any player on the record?

I didn't mean to make it question your integrity although looking back at my post, it looks that way. Sorry.

Last edited:
Those points you've made really don't have much to do with the issue here. The issue is does Vrabel have a reason to be pissed because one of his former teammates is going around, without preconditions, giving rivals our preseason playbook? I say yes. What does Caldwell gain from it? Nothing. He left without a contract. He's still a FA.

What evidence is there that Caldwell gave the Jets the NE playbook? I'm not buying this line of thinking.

I don't think a fan should give the Jets bulletin board material, and I don't think Vrabel would. I'm just suggesting people should relax until we see a clip of the quote.

It's not bulletin board material for the Jets, it's bulletin board material for the FA Caldwell.

Give the Jets bulletin board material?? Was he signed by the Jets. The last I heard he was visiting Miami.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL
According to his agent, the Dolphins passed on signing WR Reche Caldwell.

"We talked and they didn't express any interest," agent Mitch Frankel said. Caldwell played for coach Cam Cameron while they were both with the Chargers from 2002-2005.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the Jets haven't signed him by now.

Last edited:

That is Vrabel. Vrabel ribs everyone even Belichick. I can't imagine Vrabel saying that seriously.

This isnt the first thread to bash Caldwell and I am at a loss when trying to undertsand why. He was cut from this team and now he is looking for a new job. If the Jets are calling him then he is certainly expected to go and that does not make him a bad man in any way. Along with this why do we assume he shared information about the Pats with Mangini? just because he went to an interview does not mean he brought the Pats play book with him and they spent all of their time talking about how the jets can beat the Pats. It would not make sense for caldwell to do that and i think many people are jumping to conclusions when they think that he going around sharing secrets.

I mean think about it who wants to hire someone when they beleive that person will rat them out as soon as he is cut.

Now the Vrabel comment is most definitly a joke in my mind. you know why I think that? IT WAS FUNNY.

What evidence is there that Caldwell gave the Jets the NE playbook? I'm not buying this line of thinking.

Come on. The Jets already had their roster in place, with 6 WR's, when Caldwell was cut. Why else would they bring Caldwell in? It's been well documented the levels in which Mangina will stoop to in order to defeat his superiors. Even Reiss suggests Caldwell's only purpose in visiting New Jersey was to give up valuable information.

Seems hard to believe Mike would say that in some negative context. The guy is just so polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back