PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quo Vadis Fanene ?...(decision looms 7/22/2013)

Apparently Nick Underhill's sources may have been correct.

Per Albert Breer:

The NFLPA has filed a grievance against the Patriots, asking team doc Thomas Gill to step down. Stems from Fanene, not Hernandez.

Per Albert Breer:

The NFLPA has filed a grievance against the Patriots, asking team doc Thomas Gill to step down. Stems from Fanene, not Hernandez.
Naturally, the question to ask would be, why? I'd think they believe Dr. Gill is to blame as he'd be the one to clear Fanene. Maybe it's something else.

Sources -- NFLPA files grievance against New England Patriots over doctor - ESPN Boston

The grievance, which was filed over the last month, stems from an original grievance filed by the Patriots against defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene in which the team looked to recoup some or all of Fanene's $3.85 million signing bonus after releasing him last August with a "failure to disclose physical condition" designation.

In preparing for Fanene's hearing, two sources said that the NFLPA discovered information it believes may show Gill wasn't acting in the best interest of Fanene. The information, according to sources, was an email correspondence with Patriots executives.

Per Albert Breer:

The details are the key. It could range from Dr should have never let him take the field trying out for the Pats to Dr erroneously maligned him and his condition such that nobody else would sign him. Probably something else entirely.

That said I've not been impressed with Pats medical staff assessments.

Reiss: two sources said that the NFLPA discovered information it believes may show Gill wasn't acting in the best interest of Fanene. The information, according to sources, was an email correspondence with Patriots executives.

A hearing on the grievance involving Gill isn't expected to be heard for at least one month, per sources,

The details are the key. It could range from Dr should have never let him take the field trying out for the Pats to Dr erroneously maligned him and his condition such that nobody else would sign him. Probably something else entirely.

Reiss: two sources said that the NFLPA discovered information it believes may show Gill wasn't acting in the best interest of Fanene. The information, according to sources, was an email correspondence with Patriots executives.

A hearing on the grievance involving Gill isn't expected to be heard for at least one month, per sources,
Me neither. And wasn't Dr. Gill the Red Sox team physician, too? Unimpressed there, as well.

NFLPA asks Thomas Gill to step down

Sources -- NFLPA files grievance against New England Patriots over doctor - ESPN Boston

The grievance, which was filed over the past month, stems from an original grievance filed by the Patriots against defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene in which the team looked to recoup some or all of Fanene's $3.85 million signing bonus after releasing him in August with a "failure to disclose physical condition" designation.

I've never been Gill's biggest fan dating back to his days with the Red Sox, but not sure what to make of this.

MODS, feel free to merge my thread in with this.

Reading between the lines a little...

Underhill reported a while back that he was hearing the Fanene hearing would not reflect well on the Patriots. I'm wondering, now, that the comment was actually directed towards the Gill hearing.

What makes it more curious is this:

According to court documents, the Patriots alleged during the appeals that Fanene, who has arthritis in his left knee, concealed the fact that he was dependent on prescription drugs to practice and play. Those drugs are later classified in the document as being "significant amounts of pain medication, including Vicodin and 800 mg. Motrin."

That implies that Gill/the team were unaware of Fanene's level of pain or the meds he needed just to practice.

Re: NFLPA asks Thomas Gill to step down

OH Jesus H Christ will it ever end.

I don't think this will have a lot of bearing on the arbitrator's decision. What might be in the e-mail might (assuming they presented it during the hearings), but this grievance will not affect the decision.

Personally, I don't find this as big as of a deal as Underhill suggested. The Chargers' doctor resigned recently because the NFLPA filed a grievance against him.

I don't think this will have a lot of bearing on the arbitrator's decision. What might be in the e-mail might (assuming they presented it during the hearings), but this grievance will not affect the decision.

Personally, I don't find this as big as of a deal as Underhill suggested. The Chargers' doctor resigned recently because the NFLPA filed a grievance against him.

It's probably not that big of a deal now, but a month or two ago when Underhill made the comments that "it would reflect poorly on the team," and that "they'd have some negative facts come to light" he probably wasn't expecting that they'd have a murderer and a probation violator to compete with in terms of negative news.

If there were indeed emails to/from Gill and the Patriots head staff that points towards Gill not acting well on behalf of the players and leaning towards favoring the team, that is kind of a big deal--although on a much lesser level compared to what we've been used to lately.

Naturally, the question to ask would be, why? I'd think they believe Dr. Gill is to blame as he'd be the one to clear Fanene. Maybe it's something else.
The NFLPA isn't filled with bright employees. Their usual claim is someone doesn't act in the best interest of the player. Real detective work you know.

NFLPA asks Patriots to oust team doctor

NFLPA asks Patriots to oust team doctor - Boston.com

Small excerpt from article. Click on link for more info.

"The NFLPA has filed a grievance against the Patriots asking the team to remove Gill as the top doctor, according to a league source. The grievance claims that Gill wasn’t working in the best interests of former defensive end Jonathan Fanene, who was released by the Patriots last training camp for what the team claims was a pre-existing knee injury."

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back