PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quinton Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jays52

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Saw him play today before he got dinged up, was impressed, and did a little research. This kid seems like he is the real deal at FS. I'm not quite ready to write Meriweather off, but his contract is coming up in the near future and I'm willing to bet that he will be allowed to walk. Carter seems like a prototypical safety for the scheme, and should be available around the time of the Carolina pick.

He seems like he has great burst, a commanding vision of the field, and a sense of where all of his teammates are. I looked at some videos that highlighted very good ball skills, explosive hitting, and a really strong feel for angles and timing. The research I did on him echoes that, and it is very impressive what the kid has in intangibles. Leadership on and off the field are common themes, as are a genuine sense of responsibility and giving back. If Meriweather doesn't improve greatly as the season progresses, I think I may have a binky. Thoughts?

How would you assess his game speed? I ask because NFL Draft Scout projects his 40 time in the 4.57 range, which is kind of going away from the recent trend. They do rank him as their #1 FS for 2011.

Looking over the NE scouting visits reports we've compiled, it looks like NE may be scouting the CB class with an eye to potential Safety depth.

Saw him play today before he got dinged up, was impressed, and did a little research. This kid seems like he is the real deal at FS. I'm not quite ready to write Meriweather off, but his contract is coming up in the near future and I'm willing to bet that he will be allowed to walk. Carter seems like a prototypical safety for the scheme, and should be available around the time of the Carolina pick.

He seems like he has great burst, a commanding vision of the field, and a sense of where all of his teammates are. I looked at some videos that highlighted very good ball skills, explosive hitting, and a really strong feel for angles and timing. The research I did on him echoes that, and it is very impressive what the kid has in intangibles. Leadership on and off the field are common themes, as are a genuine sense of responsibility and giving back. If Meriweather doesn't improve greatly as the season progresses, I think I may have a binky. Thoughts?

Despite our ridiculous Depth of Talent at Strong Safety, I find myself becoming increasingly intoxicated by the notion of scooping an High Upside Free Safety in the mid rounds: for Depth, if nothing else, as I am of the mind that Brandon Merriweather is on the verge of a Renaissance.

I don't have enough, yet, to go on, to add to the discussion regarding Carter, so I'll refrain from faking it.

We never seem to have enough good CBs. Having more than just the one safety who can cover well might help make up for that a bit.

I hope he's better than Quincy Carter

How would you assess his game speed? I ask because NFL Draft Scout projects his 40 time in the 4.57 range, which is kind of going away from the recent trend. They do rank him as their #1 FS for 2011.

Looking over the NE scouting visits reports we've compiled, it looks like NE may be scouting the CB class with an eye to potential Safety depth.

My sample is pretty limited, but I think he plays a lot closer to 4.5 than he does 4.6. I think that 4.5 is a pretty normal speed for most professional safeties. What I have noticed with him was his grasp of his coverage and how that would effect the read of the quarterback. He understood the breaks of the receivers, and took some really impressive angles. The thing that really impressed me was his closing burst once committed. When you combine that kind of awareness and burst you have a player that is going to play a lot faster than he is going to run (not that you don't already know that, just saying it for illustrative purposes).

Obviously there is a lot to still see of the guy, but I think it would definitely be prudent to put him on the watch list.

Not really interested in spending another high pick on a safety. Would rather just resign Meriweather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down