PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quinn and the Raiders, but mainly WR choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you mean their whole "failure" is based on getting the best WR in the draft?

How could they fail??? They get the best wide receiver every year??!!:bricks:

Millen's doing a great job, they just resigned him!!!

Last edited:
Why is everyone so ready to give up on Chad Jackson as our future #1 wideout?

Caldwell had a breakout year, let's keep him around for a while.

Jackson-Caldwell-Gaffney-Brown next year is fine by me. Draft a wideout mid rounds maybe, but no need to spend a 1st on it.

I personally think Oakland would be insane to take Quinn. He is overrated big time, I'd trade down and try to end up with one of the receivers (Johnson or Jarrett).

This would be utterly STUPID for Oakland. They need a QB. Period. However, they should trade down and take one. But, if they go with anything else other than an OT or a QB, they are stupid.

It's hard to have a second half comeback unless you are doing poorly enough to fall behind in the first half.

That was my whole point - he had one good second half, but he was terrible in the first half. Why is he considered so great? It seems to me it is all on Charlie Weis' say so, which is starting to look like a recruiting tool (come to ND; I'll say you're great and remind me of Tom Brady; you'll go high in the NFL draft!) rather than a valid assessment of the guy's talents.

The Raiders need Offense. Specifically, a QB, and offensive Linemen. Ignored and overlooked in the disastrous season for the Raiders is the superb job that Rob Ryan, a ex-potential DC for Belichick, has done. Another shining splinter from the Belichick coaching tree.

It is not easy to get a Defense into the top ten when you have absolutely no Offense and they spend the entire game on the field. But that is what Rob Ryan has accomplished.

I don't think its far fetched to envision him being promoted to Head Coach.

The Raiders take a QB but I don't know if the don't try to trade down or take him at the top of the second round.

Last edited:
Why is everyone so ready to give up on Chad Jackson as our future #1 wideout?

Uhhh. Probably because he showed about as much promise as a rotting fish this year.

Doesn't mean he won't turn it around. Doesn't mean that his problems don't stem from missing camp. But, it means that, based on production to date, the only word that can be reasonably used is "busto".

Put me in the camp of "Quinn is good, but not #1 overall pick good." I don't know what it is about Quinn, it seems like every time I have seen him in a big game, he hasn't shown up. Maybe they might take Smith from Ohio State, only because of the success of Vince Young so far in the league.

And, while I love Calvin Jackson's game and skill set, and while I think he could be the next Moss, I would not break the bank and give up a good chunk of picks, espically with the way we tend to find talent. The only thing I want to add to this team at wideout is a tall jumpball guy from the outside, sort of like a Plaxico Burress type who can outjump people (minus the ego and immaturity,) Johnson would be that type, but not for the money and resources we would have to give up. Funny a name not mentioned, but if he fell to us I would take in a heartbeat, is Ted Ginn Jr from Ohio State, I believe he is a Junior, and is draft eligible, and while Jarrett and Johnson have been getting the hype, Ginn would be a steal at 21-22 if we wanted to go that route, and if he comes out. I know there was a lot of hype for him before the season, but with Jarrett and Johnson, along with Smith spreading the ball around so much at OSU, maybe Ginn will fall to us.

Funny a name not mentioned, but if he fell to us I would take in a heartbeat, is Ted Ginn Jr from Ohio State, I believe he is a Junior, and is draft eligible, and while Jarrett and Johnson have been getting the hype, Ginn would be a steal at 21-22 if we wanted to go that route, and if he comes out. I know there was a lot of hype for him before the season, but with Jarrett and Johnson, along with Smith spreading the ball around so much at OSU, maybe Ginn will fall to us.

The only problem is Ginn is likely to go before Johnson, if not immediately after. In fact, the Raiders are said to be in love with his speed (Al Davis loves speed). He's an athlete, though, not a real productive receiver. His route running isn't spectacular, and he drops the occasional well-thrown ball. CJ has the athletic ability and the production to back it up.

This would be utterly STUPID for Oakland. They need a QB. Period. However, they should trade down and take one. But, if they go with anything else other than an OT or a QB, they are stupid.

* I agree. If the Raiders don't fix thier OL problems, Quinn would get killed. They'd need someone that can move better. Or bigger like JaMarcus Russell. I forget where I heard it the last day or so, but supposedly Quinn has made it known to the Browns he'd like to go there. Rac connection to Charlie maybe.
Al Davis hasn't had much luck with his last couple of Round 1 QB picks. I think they'd like to trade down, it's what the papers out here say, get a QB later and straighten out the OL. They have a lot of problems.

Raiders need to get some serious help on their offensive line. Right now it doesn't matter who the QB is, he's gonna' get killed. my question about the Raiders is this: didn't they get a whole bunch of high draft picks just a couple of years ago in exchange for letting their coach, Jon Gruden, go to Tampa Bay? How could a team with all those extra picks end up as the worst team in football four years later?

Raiders need to get some serious help on their offensive line. Right now it doesn't matter who the QB is, he's gonna' get killed. my question about the Raiders is this: didn't they get a whole bunch of high draft picks just a couple of years ago in exchange for letting their coach, Jon Gruden, go to Tampa Bay? How could a team with all those extra picks end up as the worst team in football four years later?

* They took Robert Gallery as the 2nd pick, 1st round in 2004 and he's been a bust. They took C Jake Grove in teh 2nd round that year and he hasn't done much either. In the other years from 2002 on they took either DB's or LB's with thier 1st 2 picks. Some were Ok, some weren't.

Raiders will take a QB, that's the safe, traditional choice - especially for Al Davis. But it won't matter who they pick, he's gonna' get pummeled unless they throw a ton of money at their offensive line. It doesn't matter who your QB or RB is if your line can't block; just look at Edgerrin James in Arizona.

What I want to know is how Oakland managed to screw up so badly, from Super Bowl to #1 pick in four years, even though they got all those high draft picks from Tampa Bay in exchange for letting them sign Gruden as their coach? All those draft picks should in theory be hitting their prime right now.

What I want to know is how Oakland managed to screw up so badly, from Super Bowl to #1 pick in four years, even though they got all those high draft picks from Tampa Bay in exchange for letting them sign Gruden as their coach? All those draft picks should in theory be hitting their prime right now.[/QUOTE]

* You can see for yopurself who they've drafted:

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/raiders.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing