Welcome to PatsFans.com

Quiestest Hurricane Season in Decade

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Nov 27, 2006.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now does the left wing, who spent all of last summer blaming George Bush for the amount of hurricanes we had back then, turn around and give him any credit for the record low amount of hurricanes seen this season...? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBHKNBE0VE.html

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +695 / 7 / -2

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Are you people that silly? This was one of the worst Typhoon seasons in East Asia's history......
    Approximately 1.3 million peopled were evacuated out of the way of Typhoon Saomai, which had been a Super Typhoon on the order of a Category Five Hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Scale, and made landfall as the strongest typhoon in fifty years to hit the Communist nation.

Just because we have one year with no hurricaines on the East Coast doesn't meant that the rest of the world isn't going through their own 2005. Which by the way was the worst season in US history.

You know what?....don't listen to scientists...stay uninformed. its all hype...after all, Al Gore has so much to gain with those 'scientists' from 'Universities'...with 'studies' that are backed up with 'facts' and 'evidence'......

2012 y'all....

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +856 / 2 / -9

Watch the Discovery channel, ten milliom years ago the Earth was burning up, then a milliom years later it would Freeze up, and there wasn't a friggin SUV to be found.

Al "Boob" Gore and Jimmy "Sissy" Carter should go over to Africa and try to stop those people from throwing dead bodies in their rivers and to stop having bowel movements in the back yard.

Does France use oil?
    Do Cows In Germany Break Wind?
    Does Fire Smoke In China?
    Do They Have Any SUV's In Canada?
    Why does this sore losing crazy fool Gore make it sound as if America was causing the end of the world to occur next Labor Day.

Why wasn't Crazy Gore yapping and blubbering about this stuff when his boss Billy Blue Dress was running the show.

"Mommy, whats that man doing"
    "Shhh, don't look at him dear, thats Crazy Al Gore, he's having sex with that tree"
    "Oh"
    :bricks:

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

For the record Earth in the Balance(a book written by Gore that addresses global warming) was published in 1992 which even people who went to Cambridge public schools in the 50's know was the start of the Clinton administration;)

btw I trump this lack of Hurricanes with the fact that the daytime high in Boston's been pushing 70 every day this week. Seriously I was out fixing a busted downspout just now and I noticed one pathetic little flower attempting to bloom. This is good because the engine oil and spark plugs in my snowblower need changing.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

So.....you are trying to tell me that 10 million years ago there were no SUVs? now you are just being silly....

on the real....

have you seen the evidence? or are you going by someone's description of it? I believe that Gore is trying to say that there is a problem with the high ammounts of Carbon Dioxide being released into the atmosphere. It relates to high temperatures. Higher temperatures can cause a shift is sea levels and weather patterns. It can cause life to no longer exist for certain species (Plankton, fish, humans etc.) and cause others to thrive (jellyfish, termites, mosquitoes, ****roaches, etc)

The fact is that at one point (not too long ago) there was a hole in the ozone layer. The government banned CFCs and the hole has actually gotten smaller! Amazing what can happen when we focus on fixing a probleminstead of ignoring scientific evidence.

Hey man, I don't exactly think that Al Gore is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when the only people who disagree with him are paid by big oil and the worlds biggest producers of CO2....you might wanna listen.

She blinded me with science....

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 15 / -29

Coincidentally it was also the warmest summer on record.

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +559 / 15 / -29

Here is a more scientific response to the lack of hurricanes, probably more than Drudge would offer... I am not sure what we are doing here in the US or in the world can be good for the environment.. there is no doubt in my mind that something is happening here, but I am not enough of a scientist to argue it rationally.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBHKNBE0VE.html

It was not the hurricane season we expected, thank you.

With cataclysmic predictions that hurricanes would swarm from the tropics like termites, no one thought 2006 would be the most tranquil season in a decade.

Barring a last-second surprise from the tropics, the season will end Thursday with nine named storms, and only five of those hurricanes. This year is the first season since 1997 that only one storm nudged its way into the Gulf of Mexico.

Still, Florida was hit by two tropical storms, Alberto and Ernesto. But after the pummeling of the previous two years, the storms barely registered on the public's radar.

So what happened? Lots.

Storms were starved for fuel after ingesting masses of dry Saharan dust and air over the Atlantic Ocean. Scientists say the storm-snuffing dust was more abundant than usual this year.

In the season's peak, storms were curving right like errant field goals. High pressure that normally hunkers near Bermuda shifted far eastward, and five storms rode the clockwise winds

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Average global temperature is rising, polar ice is melting and sea levels are rising...what's wrong with that? Can't wait til my house is waterfront property!

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +856 / 2 / -9

:singing: I told you I was stupid (Gore's Book) if people are causing the world to burn up then we are doomed. how would you ever get somebody like John Fonda Kerry to stop using SUV's to lug his Surfboards and Ski's around on.

Does Gore ever ask China or France to stop using Oil or is this Global Warming just a "Bad America" thing?

WHAT DOES GORE WANT US TO DO, will one of you please answer that?

11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Small changes Harry. Look at CFCs and the hole in the Ozone layer. Was it really that much of an imposition to drop R-14 and change the propellants in hairspray? Those changes seem to be having a beneficial effect. Its not a matter of giving up on consumption. Its about getting world businesses to think in terms of innovating for reasons other than their bottom lines on occasion.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +695 / 7 / -2

Harry you ask an excellent question. The Kyoto Treaty, which Clinton told the UN crowd he was intent to sign (he is the ultra politician), excluded some of the worlds largest poluters from being bound to its restrictions. Nations like China, India, and Pakistan, who are all developing on a massively rapid scale, were excempt, while nations like the US were going to be crippled. The reasoning by the UN crowd was that developing nations would be devastated by the restrictions and their economic growth would thus suffer, causing them to regress, as opposed to progress. Well, my issue with this is consistency (a big issue in everything for me). If the issue of Global Warming is so severe, then why would we permit nations of that size, who have no environmental resrictions what so ever, continue to pollute without control? Furthermore, we're not talking small nations here, we're talking Pakistan, India, and China to name a few. Total combined pop of over 2 Billion people. YIKES! Also, while we would be handicapped with costly environmental restrictions, those countries would grow exponentially. This doesn't even take into consideration that fact that we already have stringent pollution laws in place, or that the science used is questionable. Some argue the warming is natural, others argue that the effects Kyoto would have would not be noticable.

Anyhow, as for Slick Willy. He is shrewd. He told the world he was for it cuz he knew that was what they wanted to hear. He bought himself good PR while knowing darn well that the Senate would never ratify it. The vote in the Senate was 96-0 against Kyoto. Clinton looked good, America looked bad.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +559 / 15 / -29

A rational, scientific response about what happened to the hurricanes this year... makes some sense and more scientific than that posted on Rush Limbaugh, NEWSMAX or Worldnet.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/11/061129-hurricane-season.html

Mild U.S. Hurricane Season Defied Predictions
    Willie Drye
    for National Geographic News

November 30, 2006
    The hurricanes that some feared would pummel the U.S. in 2006 never materialized because of a combination of unusual weather conditions, scientists say.

Forecasters at Colorado State University and the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicted in June that as many as 17 tropical storms and 5 major hurricanes with winds of at least 111 miles (178 kilometers) an hour would form in the Atlantic Basin.

Edgy residents living along the Atlantic Coast braced for a rowdy summer similar to those of the past two years, during which 13 major hurricanes formed.

But with the end of the official 2006 hurricane season today, only nine tropical storms have formed, the last one in early October.

Only two of the storms—Gordon and Helene—evolved into major hurricanes, meaning they had peak winds of 120 miles (193 kilometers) an hour or more, but both stayed well offshore from the U.S. mainland.

El Niño's Effects

Phil Klotzbach, a hurricane researcher at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, said an occasional weather phenomenon known as El Niño formed unusually late in the summer and put a damper on the storm season.

In addition, researchers at the University of Wisconsin reported evidence that dust blowing off West Africa—where many hurricanes begin as thunderstorms rolling off the coast—also may have inhibited storm formation in the Atlantic. (Related: "Hurricane Secrets May Be Revealed by African Thunderstorms" [August 3, 2006].)

14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

It sounds like you didn't know that global warming increases the intensity of hurricanes. It does not cause hurricanes. The cause of hurricanes is unclear. And the left blamed Bush for his pathetic response to Hurricane Katrina, not for causing the hurricanes.

If the U.S. was not the world's worst polluter in terms of CO2, the hurricanes might not be as intense. So, we came blame the Republicans for policies that cause worse hurricanes, but not blame them for the hurricanes themselves.

15. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The basic premise of this thread is ignorant crap. It seems to suggest that since we had a down hurricane year, then the theory of greenhouse gases being a cause of global warming is nonsense. This is the best the willfully ignorant have to offer, folks. Its comedic in its stupidity.

Its astounding how dumb some americans let themselves be.

It is now December 1st and thundering like mad outside, and this is the first time in my lifetime that I can recall a thunderstorm in December. So, ergo, its a sign that the atmosphere is truly FUBARed.

Hows that?

Oh yes...I remember the days when it was actually below freezing this time of year. Yesterday, my thermometer topped 65.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +559 / 15 / -29

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.. the weather has been super weird this year, not only here but around the world... perhaps it is cyclical, but more likely our disregard for the environment expedites whatever is happening. Perhaps it will take a huge hurricane to hit from New Jersey to Portland, before someone realizes things just ain't right.

17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

CO2 is not the real problem. We can deal with climate fluctuations as a species. Whet we can't deal with it the toxins, carcinogens, and mutating chemicals humans produce while producing CO2. Urban centers are full of sick kids and adults.

18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 15 / -14

The people here who question global warming should rent or buy the book An Inconvenient Truth. The first 15 minutes of the film aren't so hot, but after that the explanations and evidence are quite impressive.

I was especially impressed that scientists analyzed particles trapped by ice from 1000s of years ago. Since ice is affected by the seasons, scientists are actually able to date the ice layer by layer and were actually able to analyze the atmosphere from as far back as 650,000 years ago. What they found, basically, is that for the last 100 years or so, the numbers are off the charts, even if we are in a natural period of global warming.

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +559 / 15 / -29

If you can get by the partisan rhetoric, and look at it for what it is, it is avery good movie based on a ton of facts.. unfortunately, much of it gets dismissed because it is Al Gore.. if it were someone else it may be more readily accepted.. don't throw out the message because of the messenger.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +856 / 2 / -9

The "Things" that visit us regularly in flying saucers have finally got sick of us, whenever they try to visit us we are busy killing each other and the animals of the world are busy eating each other so they have decided to melt the ice of the world and drown us.

When WWII was going on they flew over the Pacific during the "Battle Of Midway" and they said "look at that, what the f-ck are they doing now" another one said, "I just flew over Europe, you should see what they're doing over there"

They left and said, "we'll come back later", last year they returned, they flew over Cape Cod and saw Uncle Teddy waddling down to his sail boat and said, "that's it, drown the bastards"
    :bricks: :bricks: :rocker: