PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quick thought on the Solder pick to get you excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Something I just read/heard from the interview. The Pats had "limited contact" with him throughout the whole process, according to even Solder himself. Then Scarnecchia went out there personally on Monday, and bam, we "reach" for him in the first round without any sort of talk leaking out that we were trying to move from that pick.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but it really sounds like Scar loved what he saw and echoed that on to BB immediately. Feels like he was "our guy" from that moment on... and who cares if we reached for him, they wanted to make sure they got him.

Just my $0.02

He will be a great lineman and will open holes for years to come.

Does anyone know that when Solder was in Foxboro for the pictures with Kraft if we picked up a playbook before the lockout was reinstated? Would be nice if he got one to study. Even a basic one.

Solder was not a reach.... especially when you consider how well he fits the Pats system.

I think the Part about Scar falling in love sounds logical.

I dont think it was really a reach though as I have heard that mocks had him anywhere from 10-23 with most having him in the twenties and we took him at 17. He was the second tackle to come off the board meaning we got our choice of all but one. Generally the second tackle comes off the board before 17.

He will be a great lineman and will open holes for years to come.

Does anyone know that when Solder was in Foxboro for the pictures with Kraft if we picked up a playbook before the lockout was reinstated? Would be nice if he got one to study. Even a basic one.

I wonder if that is wise to do?

Do you want to give him the playbook and then he has to go off and learn it on his own without any contact to coaches? He could come back and have learned all sorts of bad habits?

Am I overthinking?

I wonder if that is wise to do?

Do you want to give him the playbook and then he has to go off and learn it on his own without any contact to coaches? He could come back and have learned all sorts of bad habits?

Am I overthinking?

He can call his new teammates. That is not prohibited.

why does everyone we draft get called a reach?
if the colts or giants had gotten him would they be reaching too?

Solder was not a reach.... especially when you consider how well he fits the Pats system.

Ummm, yeah, I was kinda perplexed by this. If we didn't get him, he was gone at 19, or at 22 at the latest..... I'd hardly call that a "reach".

Something I just read/heard from the interview. The Pats had "limited contact" with him throughout the whole process, according to even Solder himself. Then Scarnecchia went out there personally on Monday, and bam, we "reach" for him in the first round without any sort of talk leaking out that we were trying to move from that pick.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but it really sounds like Scar loved what he saw and echoed that on to BB immediately. Feels like he was "our guy" from that moment on... and who cares if we reached for him, they wanted to make sure they got him.

Just my $0.02

For the record, part of the reason there was so little direct contact with Solder is that the Pats' new assistant strength coach worked at Colorado last year, and at Fresno State before that. So he had seen Mankins and Solder up-close. :)

why does everyone we draft get called a reach?
if the colts or giants had gotten him would they be reaching too?

Yeah! I remember when they said we reached for Mankins and Vollmer too. I think I will trust Dante and BB's evaluation of lineman before I trust Kiper and McShay's.

Sign MANKINS

and Brady will have a STEEL CURTAIN for 5 years

STEEL is STRONGER than Iron.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes