PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quick Mock (Pats Picks Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavfan2390

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
1- 8. Vernon Gholston/ OLB/ Ohio State- 6'4, 265 lbs, DeMarcus Ware clone that can rush the passer and drop back into coverage, might not be there when we pick, but if he is, he'll be VERY tough to pass up, he's a rare athletic freak that has the stats to match
gholston.jpg

2- 32. Leodis McKelvin/ CB/ Troy- 5'11, 190 lbs, Very solid yet unspectacular guy, not overly athletic, but makes up for it with very solid technique, reminds me of Leon Hall

3- 6. Dominique Rodger-Cromartie/ CB/ Tenn St.- 6'2, 170 lbs, amazing cover guy with the potential to become Antonio Cromartie-like, isn't great in run support, and won't jam anyone at the line, but once he hits the weights he has the natural ability to be a number one corner
ly2xi4vy.jpg

3- 32. Donnie Avery/ WR/ Houston- 5'11, 190 lbs, one of the fastest players in college football, very tough dude, not afraid to go over the middle, will immediately become our designated kick returner, and has the potention to become a number two reciever, (runs a 4.3)
HOUSTON.jpg

4- 32. Ryan Torain/ RB/ ASU- 6'1, 213 lbs, Reggie Bush lite, can really catch the ball out of the backfield, will take over Kevin Faulk's role in a few years
0421torain.jpg

5- 32. Jeremy Leman, ILB, Illinois- 6'2, 240, Probably won't go this high, but I really like him, he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder and I really think he'll be one of those late round rookies that develops into an every-down player...very productive

6- 32. Durant Brooks, P, Georgia Tech- Productive punter...it's about time we got rid of Chris Hanson, he's barely an average punter, Brooks is hands-down the best punter in the draft

I won't bother with our 7th round picks.

Round 1 Pick 8
http://media.scout.com/media/image/48/486902.jpg/[img]
MALCOLM JENKINS
Ohio State CORNERBACK/SAFETY

Corner with all the physical tools, a lock down guy and maybe the best CB prospect in recent years. Hes played against top WRs and has played Safety in nickel/dime situations due to him being a better option than their current safeties. His versatility is something we like.Im not calling this pick because Samuel situation..im saying this because He can be an upgrade over Hobbs and Gay and will be a star. You need 2 very good corners now a days.

Round 2 Pick 32
[img]http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2007-10/33201669.jpg
TAVARES GOODEN
Miami LINEBACKER

This is a steal..doubt he makes it this far but he is the fastest linebacker in the draft. Similar to Willis. Hes the fastest LB, best tackler in draft. Gooden is versatile having played OLB, MLB and Safety. Again..only way we get him is if we moved up to front of the 2nd round but if he doesnt time as well as hes expected (4.4-low 4.5), when we have a chance moving up a little.

idk about rest

so confused. I had some guys on mind: Erin Henderson/Red Bryant/Phillip Wheeler/Beau Bell/Tony Hills/Dre Moore.

It seems you hold Jenkins in very high regard....I personally don't think any corner is worthy of a top ten selection :confused:

I just looked at his file

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vi...&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1059260&Q_SEASON=2007

I really have no idea why I don't like him, he has size at 6'1, 208 lbs, speed (runs a 4.3), and skill (Thorpe finalist), and would fill a much bigger need (especially is Samuel leaves)... I still want Vernon Gholston though :)

I like the draft except for the WR.

WR is hard to pick because

a) we have a bunch (assuming moss is resigned and stallworth is let go)
b) the system is so complicated that intelligence rather than ability factor in a lot. Gaffney is diong well here after being a street FA. Chad Jackson is a 2nd round pick with blazing speed who hasn't picked it up yet.

I like Brandon Flowers and Trae Williams as CB picks also.

I agree that wide receiver is tough to pick, that's why I waited until our fourth pick to take one...I have no idea how our receiving corps will look next year, the general consensus in Moss and Gaff will be resigned, and Stallworth let go. Stallworth's greatest asset is that he's fast enough to go down field in a hurry, draw the safety, and leave Welker in single coverage underneath, Avery can do that for us, while also contributing on special teams, that's why I think he's a solid pick.

Moss
Gaffney
Welker
Avery
Jackson

Washington (mainly for st's)

is not a bad receiving group. (I assume Brown will retire).

Don't forget Bam. Next year is the season he sticks or is let go.

It seems you hold Jenkins in very high regard....I personally don't think any corner is worthy of a top ten selection :confused:

I just looked at his file

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vi...&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1059260&Q_SEASON=2007

I really have no idea why I don't like him, he has size at 6'1, 208 lbs, speed (runs a 4.3), and skill (Thorpe finalist), and would fill a much bigger need (especially is Samuel leaves)... I still want Vernon Gholston though :)

he wont run a 4.3 imo..he'll run like a 4.42-4.45. There are questions about him tackling but he cant be worse than Hobbs at that..

I like the first draft, but am curious about a player like Taveres Gooden, specically an undersized LB who has great speed. I have liked the way the Ravens use Antwan Barnes , he is a little small for full time duty in our scheme but i great on 3rd down either as a pass rusher or droppng back into coverage. He abused Light on several plays.

If Gooden (or a player like him) can play special teams and contribute on 3rd downs and nickel situations it really improves the speed of the defense.

I love Mavfan's draft. Would be stoked, if we did that. I'm reading good things about those corners, too.

1- 8. Vernon Gholston/ OLB/ Ohio State- 6'4, 265 lbs, DeMarcus Ware clone that can rush the passer and drop back into coverage, might not be there when we pick, but if he is, he'll be VERY tough to pass up, he's a rare athletic freak that has the stats to match
gholston.jpg

2- 32. Leodis McKelvin/ CB/ Troy- 5'11, 190 lbs, Very solid yet unspectacular guy, not overly athletic, but makes up for it with very solid technique, reminds me of Leon Hall

3- 6. Dominique Rodger-Cromartie/ CB/ Tenn St.- 6'2, 170 lbs, amazing cover guy with the potential to become Antonio Cromartie-like, isn't great in run support, and won't jam anyone at the line, but once he hits the weights he has the natural ability to be a number one corner
ly2xi4vy.jpg

3- 32. Donnie Avery/ WR/ Houston- 5'11, 190 lbs, one of the fastest players in college football, very tough dude, not afraid to go over the middle, will immediately become our designated kick returner, and has the potention to become a number two reciever, (runs a 4.3)
HOUSTON.jpg

4- 32. Ryan Torain/ RB/ ASU- 6'1, 213 lbs, Reggie Bush lite, can really catch the ball out of the backfield, will take over Kevin Faulk's role in a few years
0421torain.jpg

5- 32. Jeremy Leman, ILB, Illinois- 6'2, 240, Probably won't go this high, but I really like him, he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder and I really think he'll be one of those late round rookies that develops into an every-down player...very productive

6- 32. Durant Brooks, P, Georgia Tech- Productive punter...it's about time we got rid of Chris Hanson, he's barely an average punter, Brooks is hands-down the best punter in the draft

I won't bother with our 7th round picks.

I can see a scenario playing out like that. Gholston too good to pass up.
But, if we're sitting on 63 and need a cb. I'm assuming Samuel is leaving. I don't think we will wait for a cb to drop. I think we trade up to get one. We can move pretty high into Round 2 with our 2nd and Oakland 3. A lot of people are high on Trae Williams from USF. Think he will be a better pro than Mike Jenkins. Would leave A.Thomas at ILB. And, need a vet replacement for Bruschi/Seau. Victor Hobson??

I can see a scenario playing out like that. Gholston too good to pass up.
But, if we're sitting on 63 and need a cb. I'm assuming Samuel is leaving. I don't think we will wait for a cb to drop. I think we trade up to get one. We can move pretty high into Round 2 with our 2nd and Oakland 3. A lot of people are high on Trae Williams from USF. Think he will be a better pro than Mike Jenkins. Would leave A.Thomas at ILB. And, need a vet replacement for Bruschi/Seau. Victor Hobson??

Trae Williams will be a nickel..a good nickel. He wont be a good starter. Mike Jenkins will definitely be better

After trading down a few spots the Pats will draft in no particular

order, a tight end, offensive tackle, offensive guard, center, wide

receiver, and running back. Their remaining picks will be defensive

players. None of the defensive players drafted will make the team

but will be claimed by the Jets.

Trae Williams will be a nickel..a good nickel. He wont be a good starter. Mike Jenkins will definitely be better

I'll wait to see his combine numbers before agreeing/disagreeing with you. The combine will determine alot, for his teammate Jenkins too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots