PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Questions Being Answered - Receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) Gabriel is now our #1, the job he was hired to do. And yes, Brady will forget Branch by mid-season.
2) Caldwell is an OK backup, and can warm Jackson's starting spot for 10 games.
3) Jackson has a long way to go, but that's often the case with rookie WR's.
4) Brown is a backup with a bit left in the tank, we should use him sparingly.
5) Faulk is a top receiver.
6) Our TE's still drop a lot of passes, but they are key to the passing game.
7) Health is the key with only four wide receivers.

Gabriel has looked solid the last two weeks. Jackson has potential. Caldwell is okay for 2-3 catches a game. NO ONE has replaced Branch yet. I think we're okay. though.

3) Jackson has a long way to go, but that's often the case with rookie WR's.

* Did they throw to Chad downfield at all today? They ran him on a reverse and then I only recall WR screens like they just want to get the ball in his hands short and let him run. I don't know what that indicates. Well, I have some guesses but they'd just be speculation.

My thought is the Raiders bailed us out BIG TIME by dumping Gabriel on us for a 5th round pick. We would be in bad shape at WR without him and got him for about the same pick as we'll get as a comp pick for Givens. And at about $500K a year for two years.

Last edited:
Jackson has a while to go. Caldwell's not a backup in our WR situation. I dont see how you can say he is just an OK backup hes not amazing or anything but he has done his job and has caught most any reasonable pass. I expect for Gabriel and Caldwell to be the starters for more weeks. Brown just isnt a starter anymore, Jackson is slowly going to be a starter.

Gabriel is the man.

Last edited:
I agree. Also, it is not too early to extend his contract!!

BelichickFan said:
My thought is the Raiders bailed us out BIG TIME by dumping Gabriel on us for a 5th round pick. We would be in bad shape at WR for free and got him for about the same pick as we'll get as a comp pick for Givens. And at about $500K a year for two years.

If the recievers can get going, our TE's will become very dangerous because other teams will focus more on our recievers. Watson and Graham are both good and can hold their own and the rookie Dave Thomas has excellent hands as well.

I'm feeling better about WRs now that DG is coming along. I think that if Chad Jackson can start to make an impact after the bye week, Pats will be in much better shape.

Would nice to see Dave Thomas get more involved in the passing game as well.

I like Gabriel alot and think he's a stud. I think you're right, Brady won't be missing Branch much longer now that he's got Doug.

Jackson must still be banged up a little, because they really seem to be limiting his reps.

I still don't get how we managed to get someone elses legitimate #2 wr for a 5th round pick (and now our seemingly legitimate #1).

is it possible there was a second conditiional pick thrown into the mix too or was the 5th rounder conditional to go higher?

I was thinking that when he was only in the one series against denver that BB maybe held him out some to prevent him meeting some pick escalators like starting in all 16 games.

I guess the answer to the question is just - they are the raiders and our guys are Pioli-Belicheck for a reason.

Alot of us were saying that Gabriel was going to be good back when we got this guy for a 5th (Are the raiders on crack?)

I even said he was better than all their other WR except for Moss (That included the overrated Porter) - I had him on my fantasy league and were watching all the OAK receivers very closely.

I think Gabriel-Caldwell-Brown will get us by until Jackson comes along ... I think Jackson will eventually replace Caldwell.

Last edited:
OH...wait a minute...Maroney 15 carries...124 yards

please....other teams MUST respect that,,Caldwell played his best game as a Pat...Gabriel blew that secondary up

BUT...Lawrence Maroney ran them over

Classic B.P. football...only better

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill