PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Questioning some assumptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also dislike the term half time adjustments as I play the game often have have played international games I find that adjustments are constant by both offence and defence most of the time they are done when you step off the field sometimes even when a timeout is called.

One assumptive difference embedded in these responses is the definition of "young vs. seasoned."

I'd suggest that, given the average career of a defensive player to be about six years long, that by the third year, a player isn't young anymore unless they have an learning ability deficit. There have been plenty of practices, off seasons, preseason games, and regular season games to be labeled a vet.

If we define it as fourth or fifth year, we narrow it down fairly far.

Depends on what you consider elite. He is a top 10 receiver in the league no question, but I dont think hes top 5 anymore.

So being in the top 5% is not elite?

I have a feeling that if we look closer at his stats he is still top 5. after all he leads the league in yards, 2nd in TD's, 1st in 20+ yard plays, 2nd in 40+ yards play and 10th in receptions I would say that is top 5.

So being in the top 5% is not elite?

I have a feeling that if we look closer at his stats he is still top 5. after all he leads the league in yards, 2nd in TD's, 1st in 20+ yard plays, 2nd in 40+ yards play and 10th in receptions I would say that is top 5.

Fair enough. I looked at the stats and yeah I would agree with the fact that he is probably the 4th or 5th best reciever in the game.

The same way Moss is a top 3 receiver, is the same way fans say this current Patriots offense is a top 3 offense, based purely on the stats.

Rob - you know much more about the game than I possibly could and so I am not going to aruge especially when you refer to Fauria addressing it last weekend.

Wonder why the phrase is then constantly used by both TV commentators, many of whom are ex-players btw, and coaches in almost every game.

The phrase is used by them as a way to get the masses fired up about why the tempo of the game can change in the 2nd half.. It's a catch all phrase that they use as an excuse and they almost never truly explain themselves. Why? Most times because they can't figure it out themselves.

The same way Moss is a top 3 receiver, is the same way fans say this current Patriots offense is a top 3 offense, based purely on the stats.

I think this is a good point. In the losses Moss hasnt been performing to his potential. With the exception of the Colts games in Patriot losses he has had 1, 2, 4, and 5 catches. He is still a top 5 WR in the NFL, but he needs to start coming up big when we need him most. That is what elite WR's do.

Rob - you know much more about the game than I possibly could and so I am not going to aruge especially when you refer to Fauria addressing it last weekend.

Wonder why the phrase is then constantly used by both TV commentators, many of whom are ex-players btw, and coaches in almost every game.

Wow! I can fake people out. Throw a little BS, use Wikipedia, and have a copy of Football for Dummies and people think you are knowledgable about football :D. Thanks.

Halftime adjustments is just one of those cliches that the media wants to cling to. There are a lot things the media talk about (even by experienced former players) that are overblown. It is a way to make drama for the game.

If think about it, halftime adjustments couldn't be all that much. You have 15 minutes to get to and from the locker room, warm up again before the second half, seek treatment, etc. When do the coordinators have time to come up with the adjustments and relay them to the team. Fauria said most of the coaching during the half is more to re-enforce issues and adjustments that have already been given to the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back