PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Questionable non-calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fair catch fryar

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread refer to this yet, but I am curious to hear fellow Pats fans opinions on the officiating of last night's game. There were no controversial calls that needed to be reviewed, but after speaking with a friend of mine that watched the game also, we discussed a lot of calls that should have been made regarding late hits made by Steeler's players against the Pats. My biggest beef was the late hit on Eckel on either a punt or kickoff near the Pats sidelines, and Belichick looked furious about it. I thought that guy should have been ejected. What did you guys think?

The camera's were pretty much glued on BB who gave an earful to the ref.

I was at a bar and couldn't hear the ref making the announcement when he levied the penalty during that kick-off; I assumed that the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was against the guy who hit in the back. Am I wrong?

You're correct.

Anthony Smith made several late hits that should have been called. One on Welker(this is debatable but Welker already stepped out of bound when Smith laid a nasty hit on him) and Stallworth. Besides few of those, I thought it was pretty straight forward game. I'm sure Squealer fans would have loved to see Brady and few Pats players get flagged for unsportmanlike conduct for taunting but heck, I'm sure even zebras knew Smith and Squealers had it coming.

Last edited:
Same old story.

When was the last time the refs did their job correctly in a Pats game?

The reason we aren't blowing out teams worse is strictly the fault of the officiating.

I think the lack of complaints and headlines from either side's fans likely speaks to a high quality of officiating in that game. Maybe they didn't really get the chance to decide the game with a call, but they also didn't create that scenario either.

I'm sure lots of officials feel that no attention = job well done for the week.

The most blatent non call of the evening was a series on non calls for holding Vrabel. They called it once, and then just ignored the fact that he was held three quarters of the time the rest of the way. I didn't think a late hit was called on the Eckle hit, but I was watching at a friends and didn't catch it if it was. They could have called unsportsmanlike on the second man in who hit Brady from behind as he was jawing with Taylor, but they also could have called Tom for taunting I guess...

The most blatent non call of the evening was a series on non calls for holding Vrabel. They called it once, and then just ignored the fact that he was held three quarters of the time the rest of the way.

I was furious about this last night! Vrable was being driven to the ground and/or held on damn-near every Pitt offensive snap. Sounds homerish but their O-line was holding onto Mike's jersey like crazy...there was even one where his shoulder pad came out because of the hold. No flags.

But, the Pats won and Ben only threw one TD so I can't complain.

I think the lack of complaints and headlines from either side's fans likely speaks to a high quality of officiating in that game. Maybe they didn't really get the chance to decide the game with a call, but they also didn't create that scenario either.

Agreed. I think the refs at least treated both teams equally, even if they missed some calls.

Compared to most Pats games, this was well officiated.

The worst part was the Steelers line was permitted to blatantly hold all game, especially Vrabel.

Compared to most Pats games, this was well officiated.

The worst part was the Steelers line was permitted to blatantly hold all game, especially Vrabel.

That's a good summary of it. About 8 times, I said "oh that's holding, no problem." Then there was no flag. Vrabel was FLYING around that Steelers O-Line, and the only way he was stopped was when he was dragged to the ground. I know they say that holding can be called every play, but I was under the assumption that someone being dragged down was almost a guaranteed flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back