PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackPMiller

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It was asked on my football board. Lets say the QB fumbles a snap, which is not a fumbleruski thing, which is illegal, but it is a real fumble, could an offensive lineman be allowed to pick up the ball and throw a pass?

Last edited by a moderator:
JackPMiller said:
It was asked on my football board. Lets say the QB fumbles a snap, which is not a fumbleruski thing, which is illegal, but it is a real fumble, could an offensive lineman be allowed to pick up the ball and throw a pass?

my answer without looking it up is yes

but the rules for receiver eligibility would still be in effect--so an OL, unless previously reported as eligible, could not catch said pass...

Excellent question. I'm not certain, but my first instinct is to say yes, as long as the passer is behind the line of scrimmage. Also, he'd have to take into account illegal men downfield and eligible receivers.

You mean, assuming his 401K is in order?

Last edited by a moderator:
JackPMiller said:

Yes. As long as the ball is picked up behind the line of scrimmage and as long as the ball hits the ground before it hits the lineman, he can pick it up and throw it.

I would agree...I think it is OK....a bit odd a play..but I would think obviously..behind the line and no non-eligle receivers downfield...odd plays do happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down