PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: Why not send Cassel to NFLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
For a guy who hasn't played a meaningful game in... well, years... and certainly not more than a handful since High School, you'd think that he would benefit from being (or the staff would benefit from seeing him) in game like situations, leading a team, managing the clock, etc.

Really, there's been no talk of this that I've heard. Is this because the team feels he's progressed beyond that point? or is there some other dynamic at play?

The quality of competition is so low that players can develop bad habits when they go.

Evidently they feel he is making good progress and they want to expose him to different coaching.

if hes in NFLE..hes missing a lot of time here and coaches feel more comfortable with Cassell here with us throughout everything during summer.

NFLE can be a living hell for most players. I see no reason for QBs to be sent there - there's no passing game, so teams just run at each other into 9-6 scores.

Despite Cassel's lack of experience, I think he's showed enough in the past preseason to make me confident in his ability to be Brady's backup, so why risk injury to him by playing him against a bunch of scrubs in the NFLE. That would leave us in a position to have to find another backup late in the off season who's available like Testaverde or Culpepper (yikes!) to fill in who i'd be less comfortable with.

NFLE is pretty useless unless it's a kicker or punter.

Rohan Davey

Interesting, to the best of my recollection they haven't sent a guy from the 53 to NFLE since Davey. (If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll all let me know. :) ) Total speculation, but maybe they felt he was worse off for the experience?

We did the right thing is sending Rohan. We just didn't follow through and trade him the day he finished the season, the day he was worth more than ever.

Interesting, to the best of my recollection they haven't sent a guy from the 53 to NFLE since Davey. (If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll all let me know. :) ) Total speculation, but maybe they felt he was worse off for the experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back