PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question to people about McFadden

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this thread because it gets beyond Maroney bashing to actually talk about decisions to be made. Thanks, NEfan32 -- and here's one back at you:

Assuming again that McFadden is the real deal, would you rather have McFadden or Asante Samuel?

I think it's a realistic question, their contracts should be fairly close. You'd be looking at 2008 with the following players under contract...

Scenario 1

RB: Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Evans
CB: Samuel, Hobbs, Richardson, E. Jackson

vs.

Scenario 2

RB: McFadden, Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Evans
CB: Hobbs, Richardson, E. Jackson

Note that in Scenario 1 you'd also have extra draft picks, something like a mid-round #1 and #2.

This is making the assumption that Asante will come off his 10M per year demand. Until Asante actually comes out and says he will take less than Clements money, this is a false assumption. Asante is going to cost a lot more than the currently slotted #4 draft pick.

Let's not try to confuse the draft with free agent decisions.
I'd like to keep Samuel but the problem is he will be a free agent and there will be plenty of teams willing to outbid the Pats for his services.

The better comparison is Scenario 1 Sign Samuel OR Scenario 2 Sign Karlos Dansby
And Moss will be resigned regardless, though Stallworth might need to be cut loose to make room for his $$.

Last edited:
Let's not try to confuse the draft with free agent decisions.

They are inseparable. Staying in the #2-4 range instead of trading down ten spots means you have about $6-7m less to spend on veterens. Whether it's Moss, Stalworth, Samuel, Dansby or some other combination of known talent, it's extremely relevant. If you draft without consideration of the opportunity costs, you are insane.

Let me give a little hint to some of the posters on here who don't know better - Patchick is ALWAYS right.

Last edited:
This is making the assumption that Asante will come off his 10M per year demand. Until Asante actually comes out and says he will take less than Clements money, this is a false assumption. Asante is going to cost a lot more than the currently slotted #4 draft pick.

Clements' deal isn't really $10M per year, though. It has two huge years at the end...realistically it's 6 years at $8.8M/year, while the #4 pick should come in around $8M/year. So yes, Asante should cost more, but not outrageously more. And there's the potential to make up some $$ by signing relatively cheap rookies with the 2 extra draft picks vs. looking for spare CBs in free agency, where even the likes of Jason David come at a premium these days.

The better comparison is Scenario 1 Sign Samuel OR Scenario 2 Sign Karlos Dansby

Good point, works for me!

Let me give a little hint to some of the posters on here who don't know better - Patchick is ALWAYS right.

:bricks:

Hey, anybody want to hear my impeccable reasoning why the Patriots would never take Brandon Meriweather in the first round?

Clements' deal isn't really $10M per year, though. It has two huge years at the end...realistically it's 6 years at $8.8M/year, while the #4 pick should come in around $8M/year. So yes, Asante should cost more, but not outrageously more. And there's the potential to make up some $$ by signing relatively cheap rookies with the 2 extra draft picks vs. looking for spare CBs in free agency, where even the likes of Jason David come at a premium these days.

Good point, works for me!

8 years 80M with 22M dollars in guaranteed cash to be exact. There might be some funny money to inflate it at the end of the deal, but Asante's agent will make a big deal out of the 10M per year average.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/cate...49ers-sign-ex-bills-cornerback-nate-clements/

The 10M salary is bad enough, but do you imagine the Pats will give 22M guaranteed to Samuel?

Last edited:

I wouldn't go that far....but she's never contributed a bad or knee-jerk post. I definitely look forward to her contributions in this forum.

:bricks:

Hey, anybody want to hear my impeccable reasoning why the Patriots would never take Brandon Meriweather in the first round?

I wish they listened to you, not that he is bad guy or a bust it is just that there was already 3 Safeties picked in front of him. Safeties are among the cheapest positions on a roster and especially a FS can usually be found in later rounds.

Based on college players alone the 2007 draft was ugly, at this point there is maybe one player who could be a potential starter.
2007 - New England Patriots
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.)
4 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
6 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
7 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa

Factor in Moss and Welker plus a top 5 pick next year and it is a little better. The team is veteran heavy, this will change in 2008 as more roster spots will be assigned to cheap rookies. It would be great if we could land another haul like 2003, 4 starters and a couple of reserves.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3200&type=team
2003 - New England Patriots
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 13 Ty Warren DE Texas A&M
2 36 Eugene Wilson FS Illinois
2 45 Bethel Johnson WR Texas A&M
4 117 Dan Klecko DT Temple
4 120 Asante Samuel CB Central Florida
5 164 Dan Koppen C Boston College
6 201 Kliff Kingsbury QB Texas Tech
7 234 Spencer Nead TE Brigham Young
7 239 Tully Banta-Cain LB California
7 243 Ethan Kelley NT Baylor

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far....but she's never contributed a bad or knee-jerk post.

So I guess my comment was a little "knee-jerk" then?!? :(

So I guess my comment was a little "knee-jerk" then?!? :(

No no...not at all. I didn't have any poster(s) in mind. My only point was that every single one of her posts for the last couple years have been extremely well-thought out and well-stated. I wish my own were of like quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes