PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question... Re-sign Faulk or target Chester Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cool with both being on the roster, actually.

If we're going with a Taylor, I'd take Chester.
That was my thought, also. Have Fred turn in his old uniforms and give them to Chester.

Also, I don't understand the whole question of re-sign faulk or target Chester Taylor.

Faulk is 5' 8" tall and weighs 200#.

Chester Taylor is 5' 11" and weighs 215#.

Both Kevin and CHester can pass block and catch passes out of the backfield.

Faulk can run means draws with his change shiftiness and quickness. He is ineffective running out of the I and single set-back formations.

Taylor can run out of the I and single set-back. I doubt he is as good as Faulk running draws.

So if these guys are the same style players, why are we saying one or the other? Keep Faulk and change out Taylors.

What's important is your pass-blocking and being able to pickup the blitz. And being an option on third down on offense. You probably aren't expecting either to be a featured running back. But, for Taylor, he's an ideal complement to a featured running back. Unfortunately, New England needs a featured running back. Marshawn Lynch or Marion Barber could be available via a trade.

I like that Taylor is younger and has more size (5'11'' and 213 lbs). And he doesn't have a tremendous amount of attempts in his career--totaling over three hundred attempts once in his first season with Minnesota. In all other seasons, he has totals of one hundred and sixty and one hundred and fifty-seven, those being the second most. Mostly, due to his lack of career starts. Conversely, Faulk has totaled far less attempts per season in his career, registering triple digits in attempts only twice. Still, he's an older player.

Nonetheless, Faulk is still a viable option, and Taylor is a more than adequate alternative. But I don't think you need them both. It's one or the other.

Kevin Faulk - UFA
33 6/5/76

Chester Taylor - UFA
30 9/22/79

NFL Free Agency: Five Potential Bargain Buys That Could Make an Impact in 2010 | Bleacher Report

I don't know the cap implications, but why not both and cut/trade one? Or use Taylor to replace Taylor or Morris if he wows in camp.

I don't know the cap implications, but why not both and cut/trade one? Or use Taylor to replace Taylor or Morris if he wows in camp.

This has suddenly become an outcry for Faulk thread and that wasn't my intent.

I'm not adverse to resigning Faulk and signing Chester Taylor. My feeling is that their roles would be alike unless Taylor were used more as the number two running back. But it depends on what happens to Maroney.

When I'd brought up Taylor, that was the idea in mind, to retool the running back depth. Because I'm discontented with Maroney, Fred Taylor, Morris and Green-Ellis.

On the radio, there was speculative talk of a team that's already familiar with Faulk possibly signing him away from New England. Specifically, people that the hosts could see having an interest include Scott Pioli, Josh McDaniels and Eric Mangini.

16. Chester Taylor, RB (Vikings): Taylor is one of the best third-down backs in football and doesn't have nearly as much mileage on his legs as bigger-named over-30 backs.

47. Kevin Faulk, RB (Patriots): The godfather of third-down backs may find a home with a Belichick disciple.

Top-50 Free Agents

Re: Question... Resign Faulk or target Chester Taylor

His name is C.J. Spiller. Draft em, have Faulk coach em up, let Faulk leave the game gracefully, passing the torch. Watch Spiller do everything Faulk did and more, becoming a bonafide playmaker. Watch him, love him. CJ Spiller for president :)

LOL. No tell us how you REALLY feel!
I think we'll resign Faulk to a 2 year deal much like Neal.
Faulk is an older player but he is very reliable and still produces at a high level.

PLUS He knows our system and he has Tom Brady's trust. Those two things are valuable in and of themselves. Taylor doesn't have that. I say retain Faulk, and draft a young RB to groom as our future starter.

Well, I was unaware that Taylor signed with Chicago. Good pickup for the Bears.

Yeah Taylor is a solid second back. With him out of Minny the Viks might bring LT up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes