PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question... Re-sign Faulk or target Chester Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Question... Resign Faulk or target Chester Taylor

I have no clue why anyone would want to dump Kevin Faulk.

Targeting Taylor or any other player has little to do with Fauk.
You can't dump a UFA :D but I really like both of them Chester was excellent in college and has a sweet gig backing up AP.

His name is C.J. Spiller. Draft em, have Faulk coach em up, let Faulk leave the game gracefully, passing the torch. Watch Spiller do everything Faulk did and more, becoming a bonafide playmaker. Watch him, love him. CJ Spiller for president :)

So burn a first round pick on a speed back that probably won't be able to contribute much between the tackles? Seems pretty crazy to me when we have all the apparent holes in the defensive front seven, along with a hole at RG and a declining center. RB is not a position of great need this year. Taylor is still capable when healthy, ditto Morris. If Maroney can get over the fumbles (High and tight, right Tiki?) he may be a pleasant surprise. He certainly was running better this year when he could hold onto the rock. I think the better move would be taking a shot at Joique Bell (had a great performance at the Senior Bowl, small school candidate for the 4th/5th) or Ben Tate (also being projected to the 4th/5th on most boards). Both of those guys are about 5'10" one weghing in around 216 with a projected 4.4 (tate), and the other around 225 with a 4.5. These are your more prototypical builds for an every down back, and both have shown the ability to return kicks. Tate is a bit better out of the backfield. I would much rather see our first 4 picks used on some "big uglies," with picks at skill positions along the lines of what I just said. As we all know, most games are won and lost in the trenches. We need a savage to bolster the d-line, with a couple of kids brought in to learn the OLB role. We also need a gritty o-lineman. The only skill position I could see being worthy of a 2nd round pick would be WR (which makes me cringe given BB and Co's current track record).

to relate this all to the thread...I would much rather see us take a mid round pick on a RB than bring in someone over 30. I saw that someone mentioned Marion Barber. He would be the only name thrown out so far this offseason that i wouldn't mind seeing in the Flying Elvis. I love the punishing running style, similar to a younger Fred Taylor.

I wish posters will take care not to misread or assume what I'm thinking because I never said I didn't want to re-sign Faulk.

I'm saying it's redundant to have them both if they would both be assuming the same responsibilities on New England. In my opinion, Taylor's an upgrade over Faulk. If you've them both under contract, then I suspect that Faulk's role will diminish because Taylor presumingly has a longer shelf life by comparison due to his age (barring injuries).

Faulk all the way. I want him to retire a Patriot.

Also, people that have read some of my post in the past, would know that I'd listed Faulk as a Patriots free agent I would retain.

I'm simply bringing up Taylor's name in a hypothetical scenario in the event that the Patriots decide to not re-sign Faulk. That isn't to say that they won't... But I like what Taylor can offer you as a player. I feel that Belichick would be remiss if he didn't at least consider him if he's available. As mentioned, Taylor would be a possible bargain, a good signing and addition to your team. He's a player who contributes steady production at running back and could help the team win games. You don't ignore those kinds of players in free agency.

I think Faulk started getting the "we don't need him anymore" from fans after the failed 4th and 2 pass in the Indy game - Pats fans turn on thier top players in a hurry when a mistake is made in ONE big game...its crazy but its true.

Those fans need to resign.
When I think of Faulk, its the critical catch he made in the Superbowl, reaching back on a bad pass and getting the first down.

Those fans need to resign.
When I think of Faulk, its the critical catch he made in the Superbowl, reaching back on a bad pass and getting the first down.

I think of him being the only player that actually showed up for the Ravens game.

Faulk has been great for the Pats but even he's not perfect folks; he did cut that crucial route a yard too short in Indy. Fourth and 2, remember that little ditty?

I bet KF gets a one year deal, two max, with no more than $2-3m guaranteed. He's just too old to be more charitable, sorry. Even with no cap, I can't see Daddy Kraft forking over $5m solid to Faulk no matter how loyal and loveable he's been.

And while I loved Fast Fred's work on the field this year, Chester's younger and hasn't been hurt as much. If we're going with a Taylor, I'd take Chester.

Faulk has been great for the Pats but even he's not perfect folks; he did cut that crucial route a yard too short in Indy. Fourth and 2, remember that little ditty?

I bet KF gets a one year deal, two max, with no more than $2-3m guaranteed. He's just too old to be more charitable, sorry. Even with no cap, I can't see Daddy Kraft forking over $5m solid to Faulk no matter how loyal and loveable he's been.

And while I loved Fast Fred's work on the field this year, Chester's younger and hasn't been hurt as much. If we're going with a Taylor, I'd take Chester.

Have said it many times, but I'll say it again: RBs don't age in years, they age in touches. Faulk, at 34, has 1,537 touches (rushes + receptions + KR + PR). You want to know why Tomlinson fell off a cliff? Because going into this past year, he had 3167: twice as many as Faulk, which is why he's washed up at 30 and Faulk is still rolling. Adrian Peterson, at 24, has 997, and the fact that Faulk's have occurred over such a drastically longer span of time actually lessens their overall impact on his body. Priest Holmes, for example, played at a high level well into his 30s, largely because he logged just over 2000 touches, and would have had plenty more if not for a freak neck injury from that hit by Merriman.

We need to get over this whole idea that RBs hit a wall past a certain age, because it's shown over and over again that they don't. Guys like Thomas Jones, Priest Holmes, Chester Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, and Fred Taylor have demonstrated, over and over again, that if a guy's not run into the ground in his 20s, there's no reason that he can't play at a very high level well into his 30s. It's the accumulation of hits that break the RB down, and age has very little to do with it, because the cumulative effect of the hits almost always take him down before age can. Faulk's not young, and eventually his body will give out, but until we see it on the field, I see absolutely no reason why he isn't worth a 2 year contract. The Pats have done an excellent job of keeping his workload down and keeping him fresh, and they're reaping the benefits now.

Kinda reminds me of baseball pitchers, in a way. While a lot of teams are out there looking for the latest 21 year-old flamethrower, figuring that they'll get the most starts out of him, many teams have theorized that those guys have less expected career starts in them than someone who, at 30, has proven that he can withstand the rigors of an MLB season. These are the guys who have proven that their body and mechanics can withstand the rigors of a full MLB season, and those front offices have deduced that this, rather than age, is the factor that actually drives how many starts a player has in him in his career. Age is just a number.

Last edited:

AWESOME, dude! Your memory of Faulk is not catching a ball during the regular season, while mine is making an awesome catch of an errant pass during the greatest stage on earth, thus keeping a drive alive which ultimately contributes to a World Championship.
But I understand, if he makes that catch then maybe we don't play Baltimore in our first playoff game...............

Your assessment of Faulk is off-base but your suggested contract terms are not.

Faulks got one more good year left. However, the team needs to find a decent RB in the middle rounds that it can groom into a good 3rd down/change of pace runner.

Chester Taylor is a nice player but not the answer.

Last edited:

So burn a first round pick on a speed back that probably won't be able to contribute much between the tackles? Seems pretty crazy to me when we have all the apparent holes in the defensive front seven, along with a hole at RG and a declining center. RB is not a position of great need this year. Taylor is still capable when healthy, ditto Morris. If Maroney can get over the fumbles (High and tight, right Tiki?) he may be a pleasant surprise. He certainly was running better this year when he could hold onto the rock. I think the better move would be taking a shot at Joique Bell (had a great performance at the Senior Bowl, small school candidate for the 4th/5th) or Ben Tate (also being projected to the 4th/5th on most boards). Both of those guys are about 5'10" one weghing in around 216 with a projected 4.4 (tate), and the other around 225 with a 4.5. These are your more prototypical builds for an every down back, and both have shown the ability to return kicks. Tate is a bit better out of the backfield. I would much rather see our first 4 picks used on some "big uglies," with picks at skill positions along the lines of what I just said. As we all know, most games are won and lost in the trenches. We need a savage to bolster the d-line, with a couple of kids brought in to learn the OLB role. We also need a gritty o-lineman. The only skill position I could see being worthy of a 2nd round pick would be WR (which makes me cringe given BB and Co's current track record).

to relate this all to the thread...I would much rather see us take a mid round pick on a RB than bring in someone over 30. I saw that someone mentioned Marion Barber. He would be the only name thrown out so far this offseason that i wouldn't mind seeing in the Flying Elvis. I love the punishing running style, similar to a younger Fred Taylor.

Im sorry man, I totally disagree with you. Just because you need a center (or any other pos. for that matter) doesn't mean you go in there draft by importance. This team needs play makers on offense. This team has more play makers on offense and it would ease the burden on our mediocre rushing attack, ease the burden on a welker less offense, and would help take a lot of pressure off Moss.

You get a chance at a big play maker, you take it. A lack of elite play makers is hurting this Defense, Offense, and our ST.

Let me just change it up a bit. Though I do agree with your BIG UGLIES philosophy to a degree, you gotta take the BPA according to YOUR board and not on need.

faulk easy

Maroney
Faulk
C. Taylor

And

1 or 2 of the following:

F. Taylor/S. Morris/BJGE

Last edited:

Im sorry man, I totally disagree with you. Just because you need a center (or any other pos. for that matter) doesn't mean you go in there draft by importance. This team needs play makers on offense. This team has more play makers on offense and it would ease the burden on our mediocre rushing attack, ease the burden on a welker less offense, and would help take a lot of pressure off Moss.

You get a chance at a big play maker, you take it. A lack of elite play makers is hurting this Defense, Offense, and our ST.

Let me just change it up a bit. Though I do agree with your BIG UGLIES philosophy to a degree, you gotta take the BPA according to YOUR board and not on need.

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't feel that any of the higher ranked backs are that much ahead of say Ben Tate or Joique Bell (looking to be 4th/5th rounders right now). I don't see Spiller contributing much outside of a 3rd down type of role. it would seem to be a pretty stupid to me to grab a 30% "play-maker" on a whim because there arent enough "playmakers" on the team right now. There are too many other significant needs. On the flip side, say we do grab someone to plug into c/g. That gives Tommy franchise more time to find a reciever/more room to step up (assuming we draft one reciever and bring in somebody from FA). This assumed improvement would also help create more lanes for the RB's, possibly "creating" more of an impact in the run game. I don't care if Barry Sanders is back there, if the line is blocking, he isn't doing diddly. the opposite is true too, a good line can make a mediocre back look great. Shanahan in Denver, Pitt under Cowher, I might even add Indy of yesteryear. Addai is nothing special but looked all world for a year or two not too long ago, following in Faulk and Edge's footsteps (taking nothing from those two who were obviously great, but you have to give some credit to the fatties).

There is no way we should be going to a skill position in the 1st with all the help we need on the defensive front 7 and the holes developing up the middle on the O-line. I could see taking a shot at a WR, but as someone mentioned earlier, the only reciever we have drafted recently that seems to have a shot at a productive career was a 7th round QB. that is worrisome, but Brady needs a new toy.

Is this really a faux Maroney thread? :confused3:​

Last edited:

His name is C.J. Spiller. Draft em, have Faulk coach em up, let Faulk leave the game gracefully, passing the torch. Watch Spiller do everything Faulk did and more, becoming a bonafide playmaker. Watch him, love him. CJ Spiller for president :)

As others have said, this team has soooo many holes to fill I wouldn't want to spend that pick on Spiller, I'd much rather turn that one pick into multiple picks from rounds 3-6 and fill those numerous holes.

A deep 53 man roster is way more likely to win a championship than a staked 22.

As others have said, this team has soooo many holes to fill I wouldn't want to spend that pick on Spiller, I'd much rather turn that one pick into multiple picks from rounds 3-6 and fill those numerous holes.

A deep 53 man roster is way more likely to win a championship than a staked 22.

Actually, I would argue quite the opposite - this roster has plenty of 'depth,' what it needs are more playmakers, exactly like Spiller. This is the same reason BB went out and got Moss. Think about what Sharper did for the Saints and Thomas hasn't done for the Pats and you'll see what I mean.

Faulking stupid proposal.

Faulk ,Faulk, Faulk. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill