PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question... Re-sign Faulk or target Chester Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
What's important is your pass-blocking and being able to pickup the blitz. And being an option on third down on offense. You probably aren't expecting either to be a featured running back. But, for Taylor, he's an ideal complement to a featured running back. Unfortunately, New England needs a featured running back. Marshawn Lynch or Marion Barber could be available via a trade.

I like that Taylor is younger and has more size (5'11'' and 213 lbs). And he doesn't have a tremendous amount of attempts in his career--totaling over three hundred attempts once in his first season with Minnesota. In all other seasons, he has totals of one hundred and sixty and one hundred and fifty-seven, those being the second most. Mostly, due to his lack of career starts. Conversely, Faulk has totaled far less attempts per season in his career, registering triple digits in attempts only twice. Still, he's an older player.

Nonetheless, Faulk is still a viable option, and Taylor is a more than adequate alternative. But I don't think you need them both. It's one or the other.

Kevin Faulk - UFA
33 6/5/76

Chester Taylor - UFA
30 9/22/79

To wit, his totals in 2008 and 2009 as Adrian Peterson’s caddy—195 rushes, 737 yards, five TD—barely equal those he put up in 2007 after Minnesota signed him to be a starter (157-844-7).

So it stands to reason that the combination of his “demotion” and his age (31 on Sept. 22) means he probably won’t approach the $3m salary he got last season, right?

Yes. And that’s going to be a huge bargain for someone.

See, even though he’s 31, he’s not an “old” 31 like, say, LaDainian Tomlinson. He’s still got something left in the tank, and would be perfect as a co-feature back somewhere like, say, San Diego, New York or Miami.

Plus, he has the added value of being an excellent receiver. In the last two seasons, he has caught 89 balls out of the backfield and his yardage total (788) actually eclipses his rushing total in that span. Add in the fact that his 26 third-down catches led all NFL running backs last year, and you have a winner.

Whoever snags Taylor will be getting a guy who will be a great rotation back and an excellent receiver who can step in to be the featured back if needed. That, at any price under $3m, is a steal.

NFL Free Agency: Five Potential Bargain Buys That Could Make an Impact in 2010 | Bleacher Report

Re: Question... Resign Faulk or target Chester Taylor

Why is it either or?

Both could be had.

And I certainly wouldn't be dumping Kev who is still performing at a high level and isn't slowing down.

The day Faulk leaves will be a very sad day for me. I want to (re-)sign the beast until he's at least 59.

Did anything that happened last year give you the indication that Faulk doesn't have it anymore? Because as far as I can tell, he's still a very, very effective player. Sees the field infrequently enough that he's been able to age better than most, and until he can't get it done anymore, I hope the Pats stick with the guy that they know can do the job.

We NEED to resign Faulk. Not just because of what he does on the field, but also what he does on the sidelines, and in the locker. As for Taylor, i've been wanting him to be Patriot for years. I would not be opposed to having both of them. I'm kind of tired of Sammy being hurt every year, so if he goes, i wont shed a tear.

I say sign both of em :D

Last edited:

Faulk has sure hands and knows the system. Taylor may be younger, but who knows what he would do in a Pats uniform. Faulk is more of a sure thing at the same price if not better price.

faulk is a tremendous receiving threat and out of the back field. Brady trust him alot. not sure how you are project some 30 yr old RB to replace him.

what is the obessed with old RB.its time to draft 1 more guy to pair with maroney who is 24.

If the contract offers were equal and reasonable, Faulk is the better choice.

If the contract offers were equal and reasonable, Faulk is the better choice.

Ditto.. he is a very reliable 3rd down back.

Id pass on Chester Taylor, and resign the guy we know works for us. Last thing we need is another 30 something at RB with fumble issues.

Id pass on Chester Taylor, and resign the guy we know works for us. Last thing we need is another 30 something at RB with fumble issues.

My impression was that Taylor also put the ball on the ground a ton but I was curious....

In 1348 career touches, hes only fumbled 22 times for a fumble once every 62times. That actually is very good.

For his career, Faulk puts the ball on the ground once every 61 times.

Faulk and Taylor are essentially the same player. The more touches they get in a game, they more they are prone to put the ball on the ground. The less that they are used, the more effective they are and more secure they are with the rock.

I have no clue why anyone would want to dump Kevin Faulk.

Targeting Taylor or any other player has little to do with Fauk.

I think Faulk started getting the "we don't need him anymore" from fans after the failed 4th and 2 pass in the Indy game - Pats fans turn on thier top players in a hurry when a mistake is made in ONE big game...its crazy but its true.

Last edited:

I want both

Faulk is the man but as a Vikings fan I'm always impressed by Chester Taylor

He isn't the long term solution but he is a very good player

I think Faulk started getting the "we don't need him anymore" from fans after the failed 4th and 2 pass in the Indy game - Pats fans turn on their top players in a hurry when a mistake is made in ONE big game...its crazy but its true.

Not a single post here inferences such a thing. Although he has demonstrated that he is still very capable (see playoff game vs Balt) he will be 34 at the start of the season and with his contract up, it is prudent to look around at opportunities to upgrade the 3rd down back/situational runner role and inject some youth in the position.

If BB finds nothing appealing, I'm sure he would gladly take KF back for the right deal in a heartbeat. Everyone would.

I think Faulk started getting the "we don't need him anymore" from fans after the failed 4th and 2 pass in the Indy game - Pats fans turn on thier top players in a hurry when a mistake is made in ONE big game...its crazy but its true.

Don't agree at all.

This board has had a we should seriously consider getting rid of Kevin Faulk thread every offseason for as long as I've been posting here which goes back to 2004. It is one of the off-season staples along with "player x was cut by team x, we should sign him", "is this the year BB goes 4-3", and my personal favorite of "we should shift our starting S to CB." I especially like that one because it was flexble enough to easily shift from Eugene Wilson to Brandon Meriweather.

In the early years, there was a very vocal minority sentiment on the Faulk thread was very much in favor of it - dump the overpaid fumbler being the prevailing thought. In recent years most everyone seems to view it as the dumb idea it has always been.

Last edited:

My impression was that Taylor also put the ball on the ground a ton but I was curious....

In 1348 career touches, hes only fumbled 22 times for a fumble once every 62times. That actually is very good.

For his career, Faulk puts the ball on the ground once every 61 times.

Faulk and Taylor are essentially the same player. The more touches they get in a game, they more they are prone to put the ball on the ground. The less that they are used, the more effective they are and more secure they are with the rock.

In the last 3 yrs. Faulk has fumbled the ball twice. Thats receiving, rushing, PR. Chester Taylor has put it on the ground 9x the past 3 seasons. I want to look where the player is trending. Not his career statistics.

Not a single post here inferences such a thing. Although he has demonstrated that he is still very capable (see playoff game vs Balt) he will be 34 at the start of the season and with his contract up, it is prudent to look around at opportunities to upgrade the 3rd down back/situational runner role and inject some youth in the position.

If BB finds nothing appealing, I'm sure he would gladly take KF back for the right deal in a heartbeat. Everyone would.

His name is C.J. Spiller. Draft em, have Faulk coach em up, let Faulk leave the game gracefully, passing the torch. Watch Spiller do everything Faulk did and more, becoming a bonafide playmaker. Watch him, love him. CJ Spiller for president :)

Two different players who would provide two different roles. Taylor would be the feature back on this team and Faulk would be the 3rd down monster that he is.

Why would one affect the other?

In the last 3 yrs. Faulk has fumbled the ball twice. Thats receiving, rushing, PR. Chester Taylor has put it on the ground 9x the past 3 seasons. I want to look where the player is trending. Not his career statistics.

I would agree. More recent stats provide a better indicator of recent performance.

No question Faulk has been one of the best w/ ball security. Better recently than Taylor.

IMO, you give either player the ball more, they fumble more. Thats just the way they are. That applies to Faulk as well. Look at 2003-2006 w/ Faulk. The more he touched the ball, the more he fumbled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey