PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question RE: Koppens Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does any of Koppens extension $ count againts this years cap?

The reason I'm asking is that when I look at Miguels pages I can't see where any of the extension is listed. He still show the Patriots about $10.9 mil under the cap.

Maybe he hasn't had time of the info to update that yet?

I am waiting for Koppen's new salaries to be listed on the NFLPA.org before I update his cap numbers.

Miguel said:
I am waiting for Koppen's new salaries to be listed on the NFLPA.org before I update his cap numbers.

Thanks Miguel. I'm a guy who get easily confused.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

October 13, 2006
Koppen follow-up

One follow-up to the Dan Koppen contract extension: the deal goes through the 2011 season.

That is a key point, as the pact is a true five-year extension, meaning it is an add-on to his original deal.

This was one the sticking points in the Deion Branch negotiations. The Patriots were offering extensions that were add-ons to Branch's original deal, and Branch's camp wanted the final year of his contract ripped up.

Koppen likely receives some of his bonus money this year, which was part of the incentive to sign the deal now.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 06:27:31 AM

Last edited:
FWIW - Darnell Dockett's extension was announced the same day as Koppen's. His salary numbers are on the NFLPA.org site. Koppen's are still not. Go figure.

Miguel said:
FWIW - Darnell Dockett's extension was announced the same day as Koppen's. His salary numbers are on the NFLPA.org site. Koppen's are still not. Go figure.
Maybe the figures have not been sent..since you look at it a lot, is there inconsistencies in timing with all clubs or maybe the people who actually gather the data?? Just curious if you have noticed other glitches..

Even though Anthony McFarland is now listed as a Colt on the NFLPA.org site, Koppen's salaries have still yet to be updated.

This is getting surreal. Sometimes a new Patriot player will show up within a couple of days after his signing

Re: Salary Numbers are finally in

Miguel -- thanks as always for your hard and excellent work.

One question - I was confused when I saw the dramatic drop in his cap number from 2010 to 2011, so I went over to your pgae and saw the following quote which certainly explains it:

"I am presuming that the $7. 5 million is being prorated over 5 years"

My question is, why do you presume this? I thought the signing bonus was automatically prorated over the length of the contract, but now I'm assuming there must be a maximum number of years over which a bonus can be prorated? Thanks in advance.

Contracts signed this year can have their signing bonuses prorated over only 5 years even if the contract is for 6 years or more. Next year signing bonuses can be prorated over 6 years. In 2008 it drops back down to 5 years. I will be adding this note tonite.

bump, for the evening crowd...

Mike Reiss has more detail in today's Globe. The Pats used a LTBE incentive for ST to add $1.927M to his 2006 cap number that will credited toward next year's cap, which is good news. It leaves them with about $7M in cap space for this year.

Here is the relevant portion of the article:

The details of center Dan Koppen's five-year contract extension are in, and as expected, the Patriots used some of their salary cap surplus in 2006 with some creative accounting.

Within the deal is a $1.927 million playing time incentive for special teams in 2006, which is classified as a likely-to-be-earned incentive. But the design is that Koppen won't earn that incentive, which will allow the Patriots to be credited $1.927 million on the 2007 salary cap.

In short, it's a way for the Patriots to use some of their surplus this year, while at the same time, giving themselves future financial flexibility.

With that special teams incentive, Koppen's salary cap hit for 2006 is $5.033 million. His previous salary cap hit was $1.6 million, so the Patriots are using about $3.4 million more of their salary cap space for 2006 as a result of Koppen's deal. The team now has approximately $7 million of cap space.

Koppen's deal includes a $7.5 million signing bonus -- payable in two parts -- and base salaries of $1.573 million (2006), $900,000 (2007), $1.4 million (2008), $2.4 million (2009), $2.9 million (2010), and $2.9 million (2011). The deal includes workout bonuses of $107,000 in each year from 2007-2011, and roster bonuses of $500,000 in 2010 and 2011.

Last edited:
With this new information we now know that Koppen's deal is a $21.1 million deal averaging $3.5 million over the 6 years of the deal if we presume that he will earn the $100,000 offseason workout bonus each and every year.

There is no guarantee that the Patriots' adjusted cap will be $110.97 million, $1.97 million higher than the already announced cap for 2007 - $109 million. Some Patriot players may reach NTLBE incentives.

I have the Pats under the cap by $7.12 million so my numbers are not far off.

A few questions for those who may know:

1) Is there a limit to the amount that can be used in the LTBE cap game?

2) If not, why did they only use just under $2mm?

3) Does this indicate to anyone that more extensions are likely? Because it would likely take 10-12 guys going on IR for injury signings to use up all the remaining space.

Thanks for your input.

Oswlek said:
A few questions for those who may know:

1) Is there a limit to the amount that can be used in the LTBE cap game?
No.
2) If not, why did they only use just under $2mm?
To have flexibility.
3) Does this indicate to anyone that more extensions are likely?

Not to me. It just means that the Pats would like the cap space available if there are more extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back