PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question on the Pass Rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We saw yet another QB (Flacco) constantly having all kinds of time to throw the ball. We have a poor pass rush, and have for two years.

We also saw that the Patriots have alot of young stud defensive players. Mayo is showing why he was defensive rookie of the year, the year before last. Spikes had a break out game yesterday. Cunningham was giving Michael Oher fits. Chung continues to be a beast. McCourty has been a fine rookie. Heck, even Ninkovich seems like a player out there.

My question (and I don't even know what my answer would be to this question): Can the team with such talented youngsters on D, do well down the stretch and into the playoffs, with such a lack of pass rush?

If Crable or Cunningham, or somebody else gives them a pass rush, the sky is the limit, but without a pass rush, are the Patriots limited in how good they can be?

Would love to hear the various points of view.

i dont have any qualms about the pass rush yesterday...

especially considering we had much less before the bye, and it will continue to improve...

One of the reasons for the lack of pass rush was that the Pats went into a 3-3-5 nickel D most of the second half. They tried to take away Flacco's No 1 route and make him checkdown/run and then swarmed whoever caught the 3yd pass. It seemed to work.

One of the reasons for the lack of pass rush was that the Pats went into a 3-3-5 nickel D most of the second half. They tried to take away Flacco's No 1 route and make him checkdown/run and then swarmed whoever caught the 3yd pass. It seemed to work.

They only went into it on 3rd down situations and exclusively in the last 2 minutes of the game, and again on 3rd down in OT.

It was the new wrinkle we installed on D and was judiciously used. Vintage BB.

The pats were able to take away the run while running the nickel. That is a formula for success against a running team, if you can get away with it.

Typical BB gameplan, if you look at the Ravens and what they did to us their running game is premier.. that was neutralized.

When you take that away, another aspect profits..

With that being said, thought the pass rush was more obvious yesterday than in previous games..

All good observations. However, nobody answered my question. Let me re-phrase it. IF the Patriots show a poor pass rush down the stretch, will that ruin their chances to go far in the playoffs, given that they do have some young talent?

I thought about it, and am worried. That said, I am not giving up on the pass rush improving down the stretch. Give Rivers, Big Ben, Manning, ie, the elite QBs time to throw and that could be trouble. Just sayin'.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes