Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question on interrogation to the left

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Apr 21, 2008.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

What is acceptable?...............not what isn't. What techniques would you use on suspected terrorists?
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I don't know much about interrogation methods. But, I would use on others whatever we think would be reasonable and civilized for them to use on our own soldiers. Any form of torture that causes real injury, severe pain, belief that one is about to die, or degrades or humiliates someone should be ruled out. I think sleep deprivation, deprivation of minimal comforts, making threats, promises of rewards, keeping someone shackled, telling them lies (like, "We'll hurt you family, if you don't tell us), and so on are reasonable (though I could be convinced otherwise).

Also, you have to consider what kind of info you're trying to get. Trying to learn where money was hidden is far different than trying to find out where the terrorist hid the nuke that's set to go off in 10 hours. In critical situations (such as defusing a nuke), the law would not stop me or any good person from doing whatever was necessary to get the info from the terrorist. That said, from what I've read, torture is not always the most effective method.
  3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow. You answered the question from both sides and still built yourself in some wiggle room. That's pretty impressive, Pat.
    :D

Can I ask a serious question though? You say 'reasonable and civilized to use on our own soldiers'...what about when you're fighting an enemy that's already shown it has no qualms about torturing and killing someone just because they're an American or just because they're from a western nation?
    For evidence see all the contractors and those two soldiers.
    What's the point of behaving with civility if it's not going to be returned?
  4. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does that mean that we should become them?
  5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +88 / 7 / -11

#37 Jersey

I think NEM should be waterboarded.
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think NEM should go there and try to reason with them. He'd see how far his "I hate Bush" stuff would go over with them...because he'd just be another American they could torture and kill.

And no, NEM, we shouldn't become them. We should become worse than them. We should make them fear us.
  7. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

for historical references see nuking the japs (they surrendered) and firebombing the krauts. (they surrendered).
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

What would you say is acceptable? Use Patter's example. A nuke is going off in 10 hours. What legnths would you go to?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Because in the long run, civilized behavior wins. War, as barbaric as it is, has grown more civilized thanks to the force of those countries abiding by the civilized rules. There will always be thugs and murderers among us who break the rules, but if we start breaking the rules, too, then civilization loses ground.
  10. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

See, I pretty much agree with you here Patters, though I'd like to point out that even what we think of as the most tame interrogation techniques (things like sleep depravation, threatening to harm their families, etc.) could have long lasting psychological effects. How then do you draw the line? If sleep depravation can scar someone mentally for life, how is it any better than waterboarding, which likewise can leave emotional scars but not physical ones? Or from the other perspective how would waterboarding be any worse than sleep depravation? It makes for really tough questions, and I'm not sure of what the right answer is. I'm with you though, I support using the methods in the army field manual except in "ticking bomb" situations. Again there though, how do you define a "ticking bomb" situation? What about people captured months after 9/11, when we thought other attacks might be eminent? What methods were justified then? What if coercive interrogation is the way we find out about the ticking bomb? We wouldn't have known unless we'd used those methods. I hate the idea of the United States using methods they used to use in the gulags, but it isn't quite as clear as some (not you) make it out to be.
  11. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Call Jack Bauer?
  12. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe that it has been found that when information is gained through torture, in the vast majority of cases it is false. Just ask John McCain. He denounced his nation under torture.
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And NEM/Hobbs does it without being tortured.
  14. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Seriously, what would you do? Not what wouldn't you do. Come on, thousands will die without the intel. What do you do?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm not certain, but I believe if you look around you'll see civilization is losing ground. A newspaper publishes cartoons, and it's threatened and people are killed. A man denounces a religion, and he's killed. People are being tortured and brutalized around the world by people practicing Islam.
  16. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If a terrorist, or anyone else, knows of or is part of a plot to detonate something nuclear or biological and it is set to go off in 10 hours then nothing will be able to pull out the information needed. People who are willing to murder tens of thousands or even millions do not give up truthful information while submitted to torture. It just doesn't happen.

And while the torture is happening we would be wasting valuable time for what would be a lie when instead we could be doing all other things necessary in an attempt to stop the weapon from detonating.

And a threat of retaliation does not work because they believe that retaliation will only create more martyrs and in the end would benefit their cause.

Unfortunately, the type of methods that are employed with success on 24 do not occur in real life.

Truth be told, if something like that were to occur in real life, we really would be defenseless and wouldn't be able to stop it.
  17. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

NEM--how do you know? A few senior AQ types broke after being waterboarded for about 2 minutes.

And who says the only thing that would be done is torturing someone?

We all know you hate America, NEM, but do you really think everyone is stupid but you?
  18. Ellis_Hobbs27

Ellis_Hobbs27 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Really? Were you there? What did they tell us? What is an AQ type?
  19. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And no denial or question about "who's NEM" even.
    LOL

al Queda. AQ.

Were you there? Do you know they didn't? All we have to go by is the information we have.
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

With thousands of lives on the line I think I'd vote for a.paul over you to get the answers.