PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question (not loaded) for Saints fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurker1965

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There are a few Saints fans on this board. I have an actual question.

I'll accept as a given that Goodell hates you. (Whether you personally have said that or not, I've heard it elsewhere.)

As a Saint fan who would you hate being in the Super Bowl in New Orleans. (Their making it would "prove" any conspiracy theory.)

My guesses are:
NFC
Atlanta - divisional rival
Dallas - Geography might mean you deal with Cowboy fans a lot.
Do you care about the AFC? If so my guesses are:
Houston - Geography again
New England - everybody hates New England (It's fashionable!:))

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7d0_hBedcAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does it embed here?

David Bowie's Fashion go Beep Beep!

Pherein would be our resident expert but I would think that the Patriots would be at best a distant twelfth.

I would think that the teams that they would least prefer to see would be

1. Cowboys
Dallas became 'America's Team' because there was a time that they were the one and only NFL franchise in the entire southeastern United States. That meant they were shown on tv in every single home in about a dozen states - a larger area than any other NFL team possessed. The Saints franchise was born and their performance on the field and in the standings was polar opposite of that of the Cowboys for decades. My guess is that there has to be a huge amount of animosity among the genuine Saints fans about the popularity of the Cowboys in their own neighborhood to this day. Those fans have probably been hearing crap from Cowboys fans for three generations.

2. - 4.
Their division rivals: Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Carolina.
Unfortunately for them these teams are the ones that keep getting shifted around whenever the NFL has a division realignment. While some divisions like the AFC West and NFC East remain intact (despite Dallas not belonging there), these teams keep being moved like pawns on a chessboard - and no rivalries evolve. The Falcons are the longest lasting rivalry and more of a threat, so they get the top place between the three.

5. Houston
This to me would be the top AFC team they would most not want to see, based on geography. Tennessee would be next - in part because they are the next closest team, in part because they used to be the closest AFL/AFC team.

7. New York, New York
Sports fans from New England have a specific distaste for any and every thing NY/NJ, but there are a lot of other people around the country that also despise the arrogance of so many people from that area that act superior based on nothing more than being from the nation's largest metropolitan area ('everything is better here' attitude), as well as the media pandering to that larger market.

9. Indianapolis
I'm sure there was a war of words leading up to the last Super Bowl. As I recall from when the Pats and Colts were at the top of the AFC, many of their fans and some of their media can be, well - unlikeable.

10. Green Bay
They are an NFC rival, both vying for the claim to best team in the NFC. With the Packers it goes a step further because of the best QB debate. Remember how much Pats fans detested the Colts because of the Brady or Manning debates?

11. Detroit
Lions knocked the Saints out of the playoffs last year. Need I remind you of how Pats fans thought of the Ravens or Jets in recent years, the Raiders in the 70's, or what Steeler fans still think of the Pats to this day after those two AFCCG losses?

12. Patriots
Okay, I will agree that many fans of other teams love to hate the Pats - but I would think that they rank no higher than 12th on a Saints' fans 'most hated' list in regards to who they would most want to not see playing for a Super Bowl in New Orleans.

11. Detroit
Lions knocked the Saints out of the playoffs last year. Need I remind you of how Pats fans thought of the Ravens or Jets in recent years, the Raiders in the 70's, or what Steeler fans still think of the Pats to this day after those two AFCCG losses?

Actually, Detroit was knocked out by the Saints in the Wild Card round. The Niners then beat the Saints in the Divisional round in San Fran.

Actually, Detroit was knocked out by the Saints in the Wild Card round. The Niners then beat the Saints in the Divisional round in San Fran.
Might as well add Seattle to the list as well.

There are a few Saints fans on this board. I have an actual question.

I'll accept as a given that Goodell hates you. (Whether you personally have said that or not, I've heard it elsewhere.)

As a Saint fan who would you hate being in the Super Bowl in New Orleans. (Their making it would "prove" any conspiracy theory.)

My guesses are:
NFC
Atlanta - divisional rival
Dallas - Geography might mean you deal with Cowboy fans a lot.
Do you care about the AFC? If so my guesses are:
Houston - Geography again

I don't think Goodell hated us in the beginning. He was pissed, but yeah, I think he hates us now, LOL.
I think its been projected that NO sent 240,000 hates mails, and petitions to Goodell so far.
Businesses are putting out signs to not serve Goodell, players and coaches are speaking against him. Filing lawsuits making him come to a state where he might have to sleep in his car because he can't get a room. All the bill boards have been all but bought up to display slogans of hate for Goodell, during the Super Bowl.
I think its safe to say Goodell is golfing buddies with Tony Hayward at this point,LOL. Im sure he's pretty annoyed by us.

Well the faction fan base of some conspiracy theory is maybe 10-20 % max., and that is usually based on the premise that Goodell didn't want the Saints to Win the 1st Super Bowl at home or paving a way for another team in the NFC, and know the Saints could stop them.
The other 80-90% of fans are still trying to understand how that makes sense.
Patting them on the head, buying them a drink ,and giving them something shinny to play with.

But I'll play along :)

The teams they claim are being set up to win are.

Dallas Cowboys ( or as we call them the Phallic CowToys ) Because Dallas is in Jeopardy of losing its fan base. The teams consistent season failures, no rings, and increased money spending has put JJ in the Red.
Once the #1 Bandwagon fandum in the world, with a steady revenue of T-shirts and sippy cups, now an example how not to let your ego run things rivaling cuba.

or
Falcons ( aka Failclowns ) Because they can't beat the Saints in the division. Atlanta is having finacial problems because their fan base is not very supportive of the team. Atlanta is a big market team, but usually around 1/2 time their are more Saints fans in their BubbleHut ( Its not a Dome ) than ALT fans. Hell at the being of the game also, they usually don't show until mid 1st quarter. They are not very dedicated.

I know everyone hates NE ,lol. Sometimes I wonder if NO is the only fan base that even respects NE, lol, and that was all SP doing really. I think PiTT does though. He preached it till our ears bleed red, blue, and silver. I go to so many sites and talk to fans at the Dome, and its always shocking the hatred for the Pats. It borders on irrational sometimes. Which, I really don't get because your fans represent themselves very well, and we saw that.

Last edited:

It might be
1. Falcons
2. Falcons
3. Falcons
4. etc..

1. Cowboys
Dallas became 'America's Team' because there was a time that they were the one and only NFL franchise in the entire southeastern United States. That meant they were shown on tv in every single home in about a dozen states - a larger area than any other NFL team possessed. The Saints franchise was born and their performance on the field and in the standings was polar opposite of that of the Cowboys for decades. My guess is that there has to be a huge amount of animosity among the genuine Saints fans about the popularity of the Cowboys in their own neighborhood to this day. Those fans have probably been hearing crap from Cowboys fans for three generations.

All valid and true. Plus when we were called "America's Team" in 2006 Dallas fans went crazy.
We were heckled called Americas throwbacks, leftovers, we have 5 rings your only achievement is making good use of shopping bags, bla bla bla..
The animosity came from them blocking Saints games on TV to show Cowboy games. If you can imagine Patriots games being blocked so they can show the Giants, youll get the hatred. Which we still don't understand because the Dome was always full, even if we did wear bags, we were there. It kind off became a family thing for us to hang out, never expected to win.

2. - 4.
Unfortunately for them these teams are the ones that keep getting shifted around whenever the NFL has a division realignment. While some divisions like the AFC West and NFC East remain intact (despite Dallas not belonging there), these teams keep being moved like pawns on a chessboard - and no rivalries evolve. The Falcons are the longest lasting rivalry and more of a threat, so they get the top place between the three.

We don't have a problem with Tampa Bay fans. Carolina are friendly rivals. We beat up on each other, but their is mutual respect.
We can not stand Atlanta,LOL. Its more cultural than football.

Atlanta considers us to be ancient southern history. A museum city and state, brothers and sisters sleeping together, an occasional animal, organized crime, good old boys, Deliverance but with less educated vocabulary.

NO considers Atlanta to be sell outs of our Southern heritage, manners, culture, and a way of life. They replaced their architecture with strip malls and fast food. You could plop Atlanta over Philly and no one would notice. Southern hostility has been replaced with MTV rap, hip hop untalented gangs of talk rhyming. Something created in the 600 bce , but they think its new. Cant play a single instrument. Their fans are just as liable to burn the BubbleHut than cheer at it.

We don't like each other ,lol

5. Houston
This to me would be the top AFC team they would most not want to see, based on geography. Tennessee would be next - in part because they are the next closest team, in part because they used to be the closest AFL/AFC team.

Actually Houston and Saints fans love each other. Their OC modeling the offense after the Saints. When Katrina happened the Saints became Houston's team as they stayed there.
They wanted the Saints to stay and leave NO, but got Texans instead. And sense they are made fun off equally by Dallas fans, we have a kinship. Weird but true.

7. New York, New York
Sports fans from New England have a specific distaste for any and every thing NY/NJ, but there are a lot of other people around the country that also despise the arrogance of so many people from that area that act superior based on nothing more than being from the nation's largest metropolitan area ('everything is better here' attitude), as well as the media pandering to that larger market.

completely true. I don't think we have ever gone to a game up there and had a good time.
Last time Giants fans laughed at us and said no one ever put 40 on Giants in 2009, welcome to the real world. Again giants fans said it was a fluke, your loser team will be set strait in the Dome in 2011. I don't think they respect our team much.

9. Indianapolis
I'm sure there was a war of words leading up to the last Super Bowl. As I recall from when the Pats and Colts were at the top of the AFC, many of their fans and some of their media can be, well - unlikeable.

We kind of feel sorry for them. They would not talk to us much before or after the SB. Pretty snobby, elitist, we were not smart enough to talk to. To bad, they would have had a better time.

10. Green Bay
They are an NFC rival, both vying for the claim to best team in the NFC. With the Packers it goes a step further because of the best QB debate. Remember how much Pats fans detested the Colts because of the Brady or Manning debates?
I agree this is something the NFL is trying to push. Brees vs Rogers. Some NFC equivalent to AFC. Otherwise we would not play them again, 2 years in a row. That never happens with GB.
But, GB fans are pretty cool. WE are more interested to see how they act if we beat them this season. They did not take the 51-29 beat down we put on them and Rogers in 2008 very well, and we walked our starters off. Some fans said they were really pissed about it.
Im not sure we care much, except the debate that Brees might have been slighted another MVP. Some Saints fans still want an explanation why PM got it when Brees beat his stats. But AR gets it for stats.

12. Patriots
Okay, I will agree that many fans of other teams love to hate the Pats - but I would think that they rank no higher than 12th on a Saints' fans 'most hated' list in regards to who they would most want to not see playing for a Super Bowl in New Orleans.

Id bet good money, if you took a poll of Louisiana 60%, at the least would want NE in the Super Bowl in NO. NE ranks 32, dead last of the teams we do not want in the Super Bowl.
Im pretty positive in saying NO wants the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2013.
Granted we want them vs US, but we want them there just them same. We just want to play them because we respect them and their fans. Beating the Pats means something. Beating the Seahawks does not mean much to us. Losing is pretty ridicules though, lol.
But you get injuries, and what can you do with a nut job DC that wants to blitz every down, and makes Smith look like a HOF QB.
I really see most fans plotting and looking for the easiest way to win a Super Bowl. But, this just is not in our makeup as fans. We wanted the 49ers last year.
Its hard to understand, but thats the culture. We want the Patriots. We want GB. We wanted the Vikings and the Colts. We want who ever says is better than our boys.
We hear " Sweet, Ravens got knocked out" or " Seahawks took out the Saints" , or " excellent jets took out the Patriots", and we just scratch our heads confused,lol.

Yes, makes it easier, but thats one less thing you can't prove. Better teams lose in the playoffs and lesser team move forward, making it an untrue out come. I don't think we have ever respected that.
NO respect for Tom Brady, BB, and the Patriots as a team didn't exist before 2006 and SP walked threw that door.
Sp schooled us on how to run a team in the NFL, explained that this was how it was done. Said the same things like " just, do your job" to every player. Our success is not a fluke. Its a design by what started in NE and SP copied for 4 years.
Most in New Orleans now this, and when the Patriots fans came and we didn't know what to expect in 2009. I mean usually we are just made fun of by good teams.
An odd thing happened , Patriots lost, but acted like champions. I think you all remember the headlines in NO talking about the Patriots fans and how respectful they were. WE don't forget that stuff, we might be a museum, but were still old south.
I don't think Patriots are making that list, lol

Falcons VS Denver would piss us off,lol, we can't win either way.
Falcons VS Patriots Perfect you can kick their but for us. Remember you owe us one :)

Last edited:
I don't think Goodell hated us in the beginning. He was pissed, but yeah, I think he hates us now, LOL.
I think its been projected that NO sent 240,000 hates mails, and petitions to Goodell so far.
Businesses are putting out signs to not serve Goodell, players and coaches are speaking against him. Filing lawsuits making him come to a state where he might have to sleep in his car because he can't get a room. All the bill boards have been all but bought up to display slogans of hate for Goodell, during the Super Bowl.
I think its safe to say Goodell is golfing buddies with Tony Hayward at this point,LOL. Im sure he's pretty annoyed by us.

Too Funny (if it would ever happen). :singing: I can just picture Goodell showing up and being told at a hotel; "I'm sorry your room reservation was cancelled. We can't afford the police security that would be required at the hotel if you stayed here."
.... and then him having to go to the McDonalds drive thru to get any food service. :bricks:

It would be great if folks actually held to this & could make it happen; but worst case his hacks would just make the reservation under one of their names/credit cards. So all in all; a pretty useless waste of oxygen/energy for empty threats. (except for the value in my amusement - - my thanks)

Pherein would be our resident expert but I would think that the Patriots would be at best a distant twelfth.

1. Cowboys

2. - 4.

5. Houston

7. New York, New York

9. Indianapolis

10. Green Bay

11. Detroit

12. Patriots

From the Saints fans I interact with I would think it would go:

Atlanta
Dallas
Chicago -Saints fans HATE the Bears since 2006
Minnesota
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Green Bay

I would maybe put the Patriots after that but I don't know. For every Saints fan I meet that respects New England I meet another one who thinks they are the worst thing to ever happen to football.

From the Saints fans I interact with I would think it would go:

Atlanta
Dallas
Chicago -Saints fans HATE the Bears since 2006
Minnesota
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Green Bay

I would maybe put the Patriots after that but I don't know. For every Saints fan I meet that respects New England I meet another one who thinks they are the worst thing to ever happen to football.

Hmm. maybe, Im not a mouth piece for all fans. I have just been around them and at games and all the sites for 40 or so years. I know for fact a certain part of every football team fans hates the patriots. The way the NFL mishandled that made sure of it, lol.
Well if you think about it 50/50 is probably the best ratio of opposing fans that respects the Patriots of any team in the NFL, LOL.
But, its really more 60/40 or 70/30 in NO. I think you know SP really put them and BB in a positive light. But, your always going to get those fans that haven't taken the time to research or listen.

Good call, completely missed that, we can't stand Chicago. I don't think we have ever forgiven them for that. Saints beat then every game sense and we are still mad. I think its because we want an apology for it. I stayed till the end of that game, and it was ruthless, embarrassing , and pretty cruel. Some of the things said with the kids we had with us was ... we didn't expect it.

I don't know, we don't hate that much. Unless we have a good reason. Really no reason to hate Bucs fans, they are not of the wall, maybe because florida is so relaxing.
WE just get into it with Carolina because of the Dome patrol. Oh, and Smith who's a gutter thug no one likes in the division. Funny because fans respect Smith outside of our division,lol.
In our division EVERYone hates him. He got a big mouth, yells swear words at coaches, and cheats a lot.
Im not sure Green Bay is even on our radar. Some are pissed because Brees lost another MVP to Rogers because of QBR, while Brees beat him in every other stat, but thats just pulling hairs.

Dallas fans are just annoying, much like SF fans, they quote ancient history a lot.

Id agree to

Atlanta ( hate them, their fans are like philly. I mean what idiot fan base eggs the GB bus when they torched them in ALT. Really bad behavior. To us, some might see that as justified.)
Chicago ( If their were a just god that city would have been flooded shortly after,lol. I don't wish that on anyone one though )
Vikings ( only because their fans will not stop whining to this day, their fixated on that game)
Colts ( maybe, man did they give us the cold shoulder. I think its funny because we expected the Patriots to act like them, and didn't, and expected them to be more like us, and they were elitist..hehe. But their is not much love for them. jmt57 had a great point about them that I missed)
SF ( just because the reports that came out about their fan conduct at the stadium was pretty over the top. I didn't go, but a lot of guys with families were sward at and stuff thrown)

But when you tally Saints fans, I think youll find that we don't care about the teams. Most opinions are based on the fans of that team, not the players. We actually liked the Jets because their fans were ok, and we saw them as a struggling team. But a lot of fans turned against them because as soon as they got home, when we beat them, they became 2 faced, and their very singular, for lack of a better word, Jets Jets Jets and nothing else. They are always trying to compare the best of what the team does and ignore the worst.
Teams like the Giants we have pitty for. There fans run their mouth every time and get a beat down. Its almost like they are in some euphoric old school state without stats or common sense, like skins fans. But, skins fans don't usually cause problems.
Theres no accuracy in this just years of opinions I have heard.

again just a guess. I don't think its in our nature to hate anyone without clear definable reason. I mean the majority. 20-30 % of any fan base is going to be in left field.
But we have been voted the happiest state over hawaii more than any other, its just not the culture down here, maybe were to lazy to drunk,lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots