PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: How Good Can the Defense Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I have a question to all of the more knowledgeable: Assuming there are no additions made and the defense enters the year with the current roster, how good can this defense be?

NE is usually in the top 10 in scoring defense and rushing defense, and I believe that was the case last season. However, NE was among the worst in getting to the QB (as we all know), ranked among the lowest in 3rd down defense, and the only defense without a touchdown last season. Do any of you see a reversal of any of that going into this season with all the changes (and assuming health is not an issue)?

I've posted before that as long as the Pats can get close to a combo of 40 sacks and 20 INTs, the D will be SB-caliber. I love the speed and talent that they have in they secondary & at LB now. It's assumed that the D-line will be as productive in defending the run and coming up with not great, but decent QB pressure.

IMO, the difference in making this defense a good one as opposed to a SB D is the OLB production. If the combo of Crable, Woods and Thomas and maybe a TC add (Burgess?) can account for 25-30 sacks and can set the edge vs run. this D will be a very, very good one. My gut tells it it will be a better D in the second 1/2 of the season as opposed to the 1st 1/2 as many players (especially in the secondary) are new and may need a few games to start reacting instinctively to plays as opposed to their actions delayed b/c of their inexperience in the system.

My .02$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back