PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: franchise cost if player holds out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. If he reports after the season opener September 11, the $7.79 million becomes pro-rated...

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD:

"Samuel can sign the tender and reap all $7.79 million as long as he reports before the Sept. 11 opener against the Jets. After that, the money becomes pro-rated."

It only makes sense. It would be ridiculous if he could show up in week 10 and receive the entire amount. I cannot show up to work in June and expect my annual salary to be paid out until the end of the year...

I regress. I was not aware of that stipulation.

Adding more confusion, I believe the full 7.8M counts against the cap even if Samuel waits until week 10 to sign the tender. So money NE may not spend would still count against the cap.

Not to pile on but it was mentioned dozens of times.

Adding more confusion, I believe the full 7.8M counts against the cap even if Samuel waits until week 10 to sign the tender. So money NE may not spend would still count against the cap.

I seriously doubt that is true.

I seriously doubt that is true.

No, I think I heard the same thing on PFW in Progress. I wish I could recall better, but I think they said we take the same cap hit as if he didn't holdout.

Last edited:
"Guaranteed" means guaranteed.

If Samuel holds out and refuses to play the first ten weeks then it's prorated. That's the rules so please stop telling people other wise.

Edit: I just noticed your retraction, sorry.

Last edited:
Also, he cannot be fined under a franchise tag.

That is correct, Samuel would not be fined he would just drop the game checks for what ever games he refuses to report/play.

Now if Samuel signs the Tender and reports to play, but then midway through the season decides he wants to hold out...

Last edited:

This is NOT true. Only money actually paid to Asante under the tender will ultimately count against the cap.

CBA said:
For Transition Players and Franchise Players, the tender will be included in Team Salary when made until the player is signed, the tender is withdrawn, the Team’s rights are relinquished, or the Tuesday following the tenth game of the regular season (if the player is unsigned).

Your statement is probably a misinterpretation of somebody's explanation of the quoted section. The intent was likely to explain that Asante CURRENTLY counts against the cap as if he had signed the tender.

Any money not spent on Asante this year will be used by the Patriots on re-signing players and fake LTBE incentives that move cap space into the 2008 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back