Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question for our members

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Dec 6, 2009.

?

Do you have friends who are members of the opposing party?

1. Yes, I have friends from many different political viewpoints

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. I try to limit my friendships to people from my political party

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have no idea what party my friends belong to

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. My BEST friends are from my party, but I also have friends from other parties

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

As many of you know, I believe "Left vs. Right" is meaningless. All it does is separate people along party lines. What is "Party"? I mean, is anyone truly THAT loyal to their party? I couldn't care less about democrats OR republicans. Politics is about providing answers and solutions and neither party has all the answers...or even MOST Of the answers.

So here is my question....

Do you have friends who are members of the opposite party?

For those of you who care, my friends are democrats, republicans, independents AND people who don't even vote.

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

While there may not be a difference between "left" and "right," or between "Democrat" and "Republican," I think there's probably a real fundamental difference between "liberal" and "conservative" which affects not only our political differences but also our daily lives and the circle of people we tend to spend the most amount of time with.

That being said, of course we all most likely have friends of differing political parties. Two of my sons, both of whom I love and respect very much, vote differently than I do - as do many of my friends - at least the ones I've actually discussed politics with. However, politics don't often enter into every day conversation with coworkers and/or casual friends.

More to the point, this is a "political board" and people are going to be more likely to discuss politics here than they are over breakfast as MacDonalds or Dennys so of course you are going to see divisions by politics.....how could you expect not to?

If you were posting on a board which was "Football Teams" wouldn't you expect to find some sort of division?

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

I have friends from both sides, but the difference with them is a level of respect, decorum and very few ad hominen attacks...

4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I've never experienced an "ad hominen" attack in real life...does anyone?

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 11 / -10

I think it's an internet phenomenon. I suppose road rage is a form of an ad hominen attack, though, and in minor ways I've certainly experienced that.

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Irrelevant to the topic, but interesting none the less...I recently found this regarding "ad Hominen"

"One of the most widely misused terms on the Net is "ad hominem". It is most often introduced into a discussion by certain delicate types, delicate of personality and mind, whenever their opponents resort to a bit of sarcasm. As soon as the suspicion of an insult appears, they summon the angels of ad hominem to smite down their foes, before ascending to argument heaven in a blaze of sanctimonious glory. They may not have much up top, but by God, they don't need it when they've got ad hominem on their side. It's the secret weapon that delivers them from any argument unscathed.

In reality, ad hominem is unrelated to sarcasm or personal abuse. Argumentum ad hominem is the logical fallacy of attempting to undermine a speaker's argument by attacking the speaker instead of addressing the argument. The mere presence of a personal attack does not indicate ad hominem: the attack must be used for the purpose of undermining the argument, or otherwise the logical fallacy isn't there. It is not a logical fallacy to attack someone; the fallacy comes from assuming that a personal attack is also necessarily an attack on that person's arguments.

Therefore, if you can't demonstrate that your opponent is trying to counter your argument by attacking you, you can't demonstrate that he is resorting to ad hominem...end of story. If your opponent's sarcasm is not an attempt to counter your argument, but merely an attempt to insult you (or amuse the bystanders), then it is not part of an ad hominem argument."

Ad Hominem

7. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I have freinds and family members from different parties. Other than one inlaw that stopped talking to me when he found out what work I do it has not been a problem.

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Man, some people are small minded, huh? He stopped talking to because of your political beliefs? very sad indeed...

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

We are bring our POV to a conversation to a discuss this would include our ideology/religion and anything that informs our beliefs.

10. elway7

elway7 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey that describes darryl!

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is almost entirely thoughtless. Ideology becomes policy and law which shape the way we live every single f*cking day. Jesus H Christ on a stick.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

In my life have have been attacked personally in an argument in an effort to undermine another argument... happens mostly in professional settings, rather than personal...but lines are usually blurred as many of my professional associates are also friends...

13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Don't ask, don't tell. I didn't even know my dad was a Democrat until a few years ago. I don't talk politics with friends.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

In your entire life no one's ever called you a name, swore at you, told you that you were stupid or insulted you?

Darn, Dude, you haven't lived.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +290 / 11 / -10

If I say that only an idiot would believe there no such thing as global warming, I am attempting to undermine the argument by associating it with idiocy.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Very subtle Mr Patters....I'm referring to the example you used!;)

17. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

And only an idiot would think that it's wise to spend trillions of dollars to reduce the human contribution just a tiny percent.

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

The act of being insulted is not an "ad hominen" attack. it is only when the name calling is being used to diminish my POV in a discussion...nice try though!

Now...back to the thread topic.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  19. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I hate the state of American real life politics... ( real peopel in real settings trying to talk about the real issues )

I try to openly discuss issues with friends, co-workers, and some family members when the opportunity presents its self. What I hate is very very few people understand anything about the issues, and it only takes about 40 seconds to hear the talking points of repetitive journalism, to which I have to stop the discussion becuase it becomes a waste of time.

However some times I have had some really good discussions about liberty, and freedoms, and the two party system is a sham... Those are the most common conversations I can have a real discussion with someone. My Brother in law, a republican, pretty much became a Ron Paul Republican after one night, realizing that same ole GOP isn't doing anything for him, or understanding anything the people want from their government.

The Liberty and Freedom message is the easiest discussion to have with someone to get them to walk away with something to really think about.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +290 / 11 / -10

I was sort of agreeing with you when I used the example of road rage, but it's the closest thing I can think of to an ad hominem attack that exists in real life. For example, I believe that you tried to cut ahead of me; therefore, I'm going to tailgate you for the next five miles is sort of an ad hominem attack. That said, thinking about it more, when a parent says to a child something along the lines, "You won't eat your dinner; therefore, you're a bad boy," that's sort of an ad hominem attack.