PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question for Miguel: Was Ty Law better off spurning the Pats offer from 2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady-To-Branch

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I'm curious. Two years ago, Ty Law called the Pats offer a "slap in the face". Using 2 seasons of hindsight, did Ty do the right thing in terms of money earned?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
He was supposedely offered a 4-year, $26 million offer. The only reported details of the offer was a $6.6 million signing bonus in 2004, a $4 million salary in 2004, and a $5 million salary in 2005. I happen to think that the offer was $23.6 million, rounded up to 14 million.

Law made over $13.9 million in 2004 and 2005.
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=law&player=1358

It appears that Law will make $12 million over the next two years.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9571315.

So, it appears to me that it is a wash.

IMO, it appears that Law's injury only cost him the opportunity to earn more than what the Patriots offered. I happen to think that Law was right to turn down the offer. If he had played at a high level in 2004, he would have made much more money than what the Patriots offered. If lesser players like Anthony Henry, Fred Smoot, Antoine Winfield, Gary Baxter can take more more than $10 million in a year, then a healthy Ty Law could have in 2005.

Miguel said:
He was supposedely offered a 4-year, $26 million offer. The only reported details of the offer was a $6.6 million signing bonus in 2004, a $4 million salary in 2004, and a $5 million salary in 2005. I happen to think that the offer was $23.6 million, rounded up to 14 million.

Law made over $13.9 million in 2004 and 2005.
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=law&player=1358

It appears that Law will make $12 million over the next two years.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9571315.

So, it appears to me that it is a wash.

IMO, it appears that Law's injury only cost him the opportunity to earn more than what the Patriots offered. I happen to think that Law was right to turn down the offer. If he had played at a high level in 2004, he would have made much more money than what the Patriots offered. If lesser players like Anthony Henry, Fred Smoot, Antoine Winfield, Gary Baxter can take more more than $10 million in a year, then a healthy Ty Law could have in 2005.

What an insult!!!

Of course, the $26 million over 4 years was the Patriots first offer, wasn't it?

Law's "insulted" reaction to it (was that the "Bill Belichick's a liar" rant or am I thinking of something else?) seemed to end the negotiations right there.

Had he and his agents not played that situation as they did you can expect that the ultimately middle ground would have been much more lucrative.

So the point isn't whether Law was stupid to turn down that first offer - it was in the fact that they seemed to end negotiations following the initial offer, gambling that he would stay healthy.

In the end he probably lost quite a few million by not renegotiating with the Pats prior to suffering his injury, given the fact that he would have received more in the eventual contract - of course, one would still need to see if there were any "dummy" years at the end of that 4 or 5 year contract too, causing him to be cut before receiving it all.

Last edited:
Miguel said:
He was supposedely offered a 4-year, $26 million offer.
Don't forget the Pats also included a steak knife set in the deal.
That was after Ty Law bemoned that he had a family to feed. Too bad the Pats took this literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes