Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question for everyone

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by JackPMiller, Jan 16, 2006.

1. JackPMiller

JackPMiller Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I know nobody will say or hopefully won't say anything bad, but as we know, today is Martin Luther King Day, and I would like to know what does MLK mean to you? Has MLK impacted your life in anyway? If so, please explain.

I was searching the net, and saw a message board that asked this question, and thought it may be good, here and other forums from this site.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Martin Luther King is our own Gandhi or Mandela who through peaceful means reshaped our country. I think a lot of people don't realize what our nation was like prior to the 60s and 70s.

I grew up in the Bronx, and for a while all my friends were black. Then, when I was 10, we moved to a very white suburb where a neighbor constantly harassed us just because we had black friends. Then, around the time King died I was talking with the Republican Mayor of the town I lived in, who was telling me about the "piccaninnies" in town and where they lived. The prejudice was palpable back then.

And, during that same period, you also had students rising up to change the direction of the country and women rising up to get equal rights. The men like Harry Boy were losing badly on all fronts, and were they angry! That type of anger exploded into shootings of students, murders of civil rights activists, and attacks (one of which I witnessed as a 10 year old) on anti-war protestors by right-wing thugs as the right-wing police stood by and did nothing!

Through all this chaos was Martin Luther King and his words of nonviolence. His words cut through all the hate and reminded people that the struggle was all about a dream. I don't think this nation has since had anyone as inspirational as him, in terms of what he achieved and what he symbolized. We desperately need someone like him now.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Nice try kid, your not going to get me going on this guy, I can bash God & Jesus all day long and it won't bother anyone but I ain't taking King on I would be banned, crucified and have death threats thrown at me.
    :bricks:
  4. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Honestly, means nothing to me.

Its a travesty that I get today off at my job but yet we have to work Veterans Day.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There are two MLKs:
    The public King, who was hands-down, the greatest speaker in terms of power of oratory skill and ability to move a population, to be electronically recorded. I respect, even love, the message from King. King's message and oratory skill transformed the white nation that was ready to hear it and desperate for redemption from its sins. 25 years earlier, his speeches get him killed early and no one remembers him. He was the right man at the right time. I think everyone, black and white, felt a unity at the time that grew into the 70's but, for whatever reason, went into the $h!tter in the late 80's.

Then there's the private Martin, who, from what I can gather but don't know for sure, was a troubled womanizer, but I was too when I was in my 20's. I would have loved to have taken a long drive with the guy, stopping here and there for a beer or lunch.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Didn't Little Bobby Kennedy ILLEGALLY wire tap King? (Evesdrop)
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Since it's a travesty, you should have used the day to visit vets. It's really a shame that King means nothing to you, but at least you don't hate him. I guess you missed the civil rights era.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

The Looney Liberals would love to try and force everybody in America to stay home sit in their living room and watch re-runs of the "Rodney King Beating"
  9. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wasnt born yet so it means nothing to me.
  10. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I refer again to the long term damage that the Reagan 80s did to education in this country. No offense Turd, but you should at least pick up a book on civil rights someday while you still have some.

MLK meant alot to liberty, not just to african americans but to all americans. He energized the power of individuals over injustice of all sorts. He spoke truth to power.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

Please education was much better in the 1980's than the 1990's when Clinton let the NEA run rough shot on the education system.
  12. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, 12 years of Reagan Bush certainly was a huge hole to come out of. But by almost any standard, the 90s were an improvement and the 2000s we've seen regression.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Oh Jesus, Reagan, I thought you people forgot him now that Bush is here.

King,
    Wherever he went, a riot followed.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I like riots. Riots are good.

It shows that there's some Americans who care passionately about something enough and are sick and tired of "behaving and doing what you're told" to go out and be heard.
    Hell, I'd be satisfied with a couple of good demonstrations - I mean GOOD ones. Unfortunately, the passion in this country is being sucked into the television and we're all doped-up on ritalin and "mellow" pills so we don't act up.

They like us to stay calm. Then they always take that one step too far and...BOOM!
  15. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't think the two Kings are related...
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, the scary thing is if you asked people on this board what equal rights for blacks mean to them, 75% of you would say "not much, I couldn't care either way."

Harry Boy, I'm looking in your direction.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

lol, no s hit :rocker:
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow, I haven't seen anyone on this side of the Klan who openly admits to being a racist and a bigot. What's your take on slavery?
  19. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

:eek: Harry, a bigot?? NO!!!!!
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

You said you were looking in my direction, I said 'no sh it', in other words, I knew where you were looking.

Slavery was a way of life all over the world 500 yrs ago, it came to America from other parts of the world, it still goes on in Africa TODAY.

The Black man in Africa sold his brothers and sisters to the white slave traders, they in turn brought them to America and sold them to "Whitey" (you don't seem to hear this much) as time went on human beings realized the wrong and "righted it".
    Liberals love to Bash southern Americans for owning slaves when it was going on in the whole world. Royalty in Europe always had them.

My family never owned any, they were up in Maine digging clams, they never saw a Black Man until the late eighteen hundreds, there are probably some up north that still haven't seen one except for Condi Rice on TV.
    Black people don't seem to like Maine except for Lewiston, in Lewiston they bring them over from Somalia and give them free houses. Isn't that wonderful.