PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question for Box, or anyone reviewing Miami game

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When Miami got to Cassel for the safety, was it just me or did they almost take Cassel's head off? Miami player(don't remember his #)coming in from the left in particular? No comments from the play-by-play guys, (gasp, what a shocker!) but I wondered if anyone caught the play in review, and what you all thought?
Sorry, I know most of you have moved on from this game :D

I don't have an answer but I have a similar question.

Did anyone see that roughing the passer against us (Seymour I think) when the ref said he hit the QB in the chest ? They didn't show a replay but since when are defensive players not allowed to hit the QB in the chest ? Roughing the passer calls have become ridiculous this year.

The roughing call on Jason Taylor was pretty lame too.

oldrover said:
The roughing call on Jason Taylor was pretty lame too.
It was, I guess they balance out but they're ruining the game.

Sorry, as I said in the "focus" thread, I've retired from breakdowns until Sunday. :D

I'll try and get back with you on the Safety.

re: Jason Taylor's roughing call - the head of NFL officials discussed it during his weekly appearance on NFL Total Access. He showed how Taylor's hand struck Cassel just below the throat - looked to me like he hit directly over where the two collar bones come together. The rule specifically allows for blows 'close to' the head and neck, so he considered it a good call and in that context so do I (now).

I'll need to rewind and watch the game again to find the penalty against our guys. I can say that the officials seem to have done a consistent job of making the head blow call in all the games I've watched and re-watched. All of the calls against the Pats have been technically within the rules, and while all of the Pats penalty's have been minor and incidental in my view, the calls have also protected Tommy and I for one am willing to live with this rule - I just hope they are strict with it during the playoffs so we don't have another tuck rule whine-a-thon and our QB is actually protected.

Box_O_Rocks said:

I'll try and get back with you on the Safety.

re: Jason Taylor's roughing call - the head of NFL officials discussed it during his weekly appearance on NFL Total Access. He showed how Taylor's hand struck Cassel just below the throat - looked to me like he hit directly over where the two collar bones come together. The rule specifically allows for blows 'close to' the head and neck, so he considered it a good call and in that context so do I (now).

I'll need to rewind and watch the game again to find the penalty against our guys. I can say that the officials seem to have done a consistent job of making the head blow call in all the games I've watched and re-watched. All of the calls against the Pats have been technically within the rules, and while all of the Pats penalty's have been minor and incidental in my view, the calls have also protected Tommy and I for one am willing to live with this rule - I just hope they are strict with it during the playoffs so we don't have another tuck rule whine-a-thon and our QB is actually protected.

I love the head officials segment on Total Access. What he also said about the roughing the passer call that I thought was interesting is that this is the only penalty where, if there is any question or doubt on the officials part about the call, they should throw the flag. He said the rules committee wants to protect the QB.

I agree that once it was shown and explained I had to agree that the call was correct according to the rules. And I have been complaining about what I considered phantom roughing the passer calls all year long.

BelichickFan said:
I don't have an answer but I have a similar question.

Did anyone see that roughing the passer against us (Seymour I think) when the ref said he hit the QB in the chest ? They didn't show a replay but since when are defensive players not allowed to hit the QB in the chest ? Roughing the passer calls have become ridiculous this year.
I'm watching it right now so I don't wind up like poor pats1. They called Warren, possibly they thought he speared Frerotte, what I could see from the camera angle looked okay to me. As you noted, Harlan was being awstruck by Cross' football knowledge and his ability to suction Chamber's buttocks. CBS didn't go overboard to give those two losers the best production team.

Gargh!

I'm still fuming on how Charter replaced the NFL Network with the Tennis Channel.

DISGUSTING!

Boing...boing...boing....foul!...boing....boing...10-love!....boing....boing...boing...

Yawn.

You were lucky tonight, Total Access took us on a guided tour of Herm's posterior while they demonstrated the proper way to suck up.

Patschick87:

Miami blitzed a CB from the slot who hit Cassel high a half step before the blitzing LB beat Evans to hit him high from the other side. It doesn't look like they were deliberately aiming for his head, the CB came in with his arms up to bat down a pass/block sight lanes and hit him in the shoulders. Matt was sandwiched between a 190 lb CB going full speed and a 240 lb LB barely slowed by bouncing off Evans - knocked the wind out of him, which is why he was slow getting up.

Matt missed the blitz read by the CB and paid for it, but Evans did a lousy job blocking the blitzing LB. Ashworth did a good job at LT, Mruc at LG and Yates at RG also did good. If Matt had made the blitz read and been Brady-quick, he could have hit the slot WR to get a few more yards of room.

Evans needs NFL Europe to work on his blitz pickup.

I can't believe my sacrifices for my fellow fans, listening to Randy Cross butcher everybody's name again! Aaagggghhhh!

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Patschick87:

Miami blitzed a CB from the slot who hit Cassel high a half step before the blitzing LB beat Evans to hit him high from the other side. It doesn't look like they were deliberately aiming for his head, the CB came in with his arms up to bat down a pass/block sight lanes and hit him in the shoulders. Matt was sandwiched between a 190 lb CB going full speed and a 240 lb LB barely slowed by bouncing off Evans - knocked the wind out of him, which is why he was slow getting up.

Matt missed the blitz read by the CB and paid for it, but Evans did a lousy job blocking the blitzing LB. Ashworth did a good job at LT, Mruc at LG and Yates at RG also did good. If Matt had made the blitz read and been Brady-quick, he could have hit the slot WR to get a few more yards of room.

Evans needs NFL Europe to work on his blitz pickup.

I can't believe my sacrifices for my fellow fans, listening to Randy Cross butcher everybody's name again! Aaagggghhhh!

Box, first my deepest sympathy on having to review with the sound on! Cross was truly awful that game! Secondly, really appreciate the breakdown on this play!!!! ;)

PatsChick87 said:
Box, first my deepest sympathy on having to review with the sound on! Cross was truly awful that game! Secondly, really appreciate the breakdown on this play!!!! ;)
I've been icing down my head and ears, my brained was all 'cross'-wired after a double exposure (not to mention rewinds to study a play - mommy!). Still, your welcome, as Brady and the guys say, everybody plays hurt this time of year! :D

Box_O_Rocks said:
.... as Brady and the guys say, everybody plays hurt this time of year! :D

You're a warrior, too, BoxOR !

flutie2phelan said:
You're a warrior, too, BoxOR !
Ouch! How do people sit with a sword anyway? :eek:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Ouch! How do people sit with a sword anyway? :eek:
This line's just too much to pass up! My answer.....like all good equipment, they just swing it to the side!!!! :D

PatsChick87 said:
This line's just too much to pass up! My answer.....like all good equipment, they just swing it to the side!!!! :D
:rofl: Delightful, but now muh tung hurths fum bitin' it - don't give me such provocative straight lines! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes