PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question for all of you game scheme heads out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I've been wondering what approach Bill take on this defense. I know he is really good at making adjustments and I can't see him losing twice to the same guy. Do we compare our offense when we beat the Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, etc? Basically how does our offense successfully attack a strong secondary and strong front 7.

Do we spread them out with TEs and WRs? I've heard people say run the ball down their throats(I don't see this scheme being the best effective giving the Jets run defense stats). I know the run has been decent with the BJGE and Woodhead tandum but is that enough to run it down the Jets's throats?Maybe we can stun them with a bundle of trick plays and reverses? I remember them pulling one of these out against the Ravens which turned into a Tate first and goal for like a 20 yeard gain or something.

Just asking, what do you think the best approach is for this team to BEAT the Jets defense tonight? ....

So I've been wondering what approach Bill take on this defense. I know he is really good at making adjustments and I can't see him losing twice to the same guy. Do we compare our offense when we beat the Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, etc? Basically how does our offense successfully attack a strong secondary and strong front 7.

Do we spread them out with TEs and WRs? I've heard people say run the ball down their throats(I don't see this scheme being the best effective giving the Jets run defense stats). I know the run has been decent with the BJGE and Woodhead tandum but is that enough to run it down the Jets's throats?Maybe we can stun them with a bundle of trick plays and reverses? I remember them pulling one of these out against the Ravens which turned into a Tate first and goal for like a 20 yeard gain or something.

Just asking, what do you think the best approach is for this team to BEAT the Jets defense tonight? ....

First and foremost, our playcalling must be mixed. We aren't going to beat them with any one thing- that would make our team one dimensional, as in the 2nd half of the first game we played against them.

It is my belief that while we won't "run it down the Jets's throats" we will still go to the run game right away and try to establish it to open up the short game and play action.

Brady was caught off guard the first time by how much coverage was called (in lieu of blitzing) and by how coverages were disguised as rushes. This won't happen again this time, but there will be some new wrinkles where they try to bait him into interpreting wrong coverages in hopes of messing up on protection.

The 46 leaves a lot of one on one matchups in the backfield and we must exploit this by going to the seam with Gronk who will outmatch whoever is put on him. He should have a big day. I expect that those of our receivers who are split out wide will be, for the most part, shut down by the Jets CB corp, so the inside game up the middle will dictate how fast we move the chains, especially now that Leonhard is not going to be there in roam tonight.

On defense, the imperative is to hold the Jets run game to under 100 yards- their losses or close wins have come whenever that happened.

Our pass defense might be atrocious, but whenever possible, we must force Jets into max protect because that is the weak link in the Jets offense and leaves the field thin. We have to take away Sanchez's first read.

I believe that we will pull dual bracket coverage on Holmes and Keller and take our risk with Braylon Edwards.

Also we must maul Keller every time he comes off the line. He got too much free releases in the first game and made us pay for it.. He must be thrown off every single time.

We also must not let Sanchez leave the pocket, because clearly Sanchez is able to scramble pretty well.

I see us staying in our base, but depending on who is playing (per inactive list), we may have to resort to the 24 nickel to rotate linemen, to keep them fresh. In this scenario, I would not be surprised to see Moore in OLB run-stopping downs.

I think it will be good if we bait Sanchez with the cover 2 look but pull a cover 3 or 4 with inside leverage because (and especially considering the cold) Sanchez isn't known for accuracy when dropping the ball in, e.g., throwing his receivers open.

whatever BB does, the jets will adjust. give them credit, they are good at that. whats more important is if the pats can adjust again. this was the most frustrating part in game 1 when after the half once the jets changed their game plan, the pats were stuck in neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes