Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question For/About Libertarians

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

In spite of my own political leanings and beliefs, I do honestly believe that others, of differing leanings and beliefs, are no different from myself in that we are all just people who, at heart, want nothing more than the best for society. We just have different ideas of how to get there. I have conservatives in my family, I love them very much. I admire them and I respect them. I do not always agree with them, but that has nothing to do with whether or not they are good people. I tend to regard all of you here in the same light. It's clear that I often disagree with some of you. It's probably even clear that I may not even like some of you -- but that doesn't mean that I think you're bad people or evil people. It just means I don't understand you. I do not think you wish evil on anyone or that you would actively promote killing or maiming.

That being said.....I don't know alot about libertarians. I know there are a few of you here who call yourself Libertarians and I've always just accepted that at face value. You want smaller government and lots of freedoms. That's fine. I'm actually ok with that. You don't come across as radicals or cultists or dangerous.

But then I came across this earlier today and I'm unsure what to think. Is this guy just some outlier or is this a genuine libertarian belief? If you find him to be pretty "far out there," does it bother you that he has a radio show and a following and that he's using it to put forth some pretty inflamatory stuff in the name of libertarianism?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/...they-were-victims-murdering-cops-saves-lives/

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Libertarians certainly have a problem with many aspects of police behavior, but they don't advocate citizens simply shooting them. Libertarians believe in rule of law -- applied to both police and other citizens.

So if those officers had arrested people wrongly, brutalized citizens, etc., they'd want them suspended, fired and / or prosecuted -- not murdered by vigilantes.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. iapatsfan

iapatsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +334 / 129 / -61

A true libertarian does not believe in infringing on the rights of others. Killing somebody (other than self-defense) is the ultimate infringement on the right to life. These freaks, including the douche bag on the radio, are not libertarian. Him calling himself libertarian does not make it so.

I have a similar problem with those who call themselves "liberal" but insist on forcing me to contribute to the causes they find just. There is no liberty in that mindset.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +914 / 7 / -3

Seriously?!? Yeah, I think the guy is totally indicative of what the average libertarian is. Someone who thinks that cops are murderers, so it's not murder to gun any cop down while they eat lunch. This was Gary Johnson's platform actually. Gun down cops at the donut shops.

5. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

even inner city minorities who shoot at cops? they're libertarians, too?

you make no sense on this one

6. iapatsfan

iapatsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +334 / 129 / -61

I have a question for those who call themselves "liberal". How do you get to a place where the compassionate side of your brain sees a person/group/place in need, and then you automatically switch to a mindset of "from whom can we confiscate property to rectify this perceived injustice"? How do you get to a position of wanting to assist one at the forced expense of another? How do you find it perfectly acceptable to forcefully collect property from me in order extinguish your burning desire for "compassion"? Why is Sandra Fluke's perceived "need" more important to you than me being able to keep that which I've earned?

• Like Like x 2
  7. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +299 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

I read the guy's last name as Koresh not Kokesh the first time. Both are nuts so easy mistake.

I'm definitely a Libertarian and as far as civil liberties go I believe as a base principal people should be allowed to do whatever they want to do as long as it's not hurting anybody else or has the potential to hurt anybody else. So building a nuke in your basement is off limits. Laws such as motorcycle helmets, car seatbelts... while having the best of intentions I'm against them. I have never been on a motorcycle without a helmet and I wear my seatbelt 98% of the time and would without a law.

But again this guy is bat shit crazy and doesn't represent Libertarians as a group any more than the WBC represents Christians or Al Qaeda represents Muslims. Lunatic fringe I know you're out there....

8. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +183 / 15 / -11

I think he's being sarcastic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Somebody should shoot that guy then stab him

10. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +183 / 15 / -11

I don’t know any libertarians who would think this guy is anything other than a nutjob and/or a d-bag, they’d consider that murder.

That being said, I met a few “libertarians” who have said very unlibertarian things like how it would be great to have the govt ban smoking and require everyone to be vegans, to those who don’t want any government at all. Part of me thinks they just want a different label to market themselves under but they’re in the extreme minority.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +914 / 7 / -3

Magenta = sarcasm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +914 / 7 / -3

To build on what some others have said in here, no two democrats see eye to eye on everything. No two republicans do either. Those are the two main stream groups too. So to expect that all libertarians would think alike, is flawed. What it means to be a democrat, or republican, is different for a lot of people. It's no different for libertarians. Ultimately it comes down to a platform, or core set of principles that may (stress may) define each group. For libertarians, I'd say the general core platform is liberty, smaller less intrusive government, and low taxation. Gunning down cops at a pizzeria doesn't quite make the list.

Amen on the seatbelts and helmets. I absolutely HATE those ridiculous, nanny state laws. Those are prime examples of liberties lost, that you'll never get back. Remember, once you relinquish liberty, you're never likely to get it back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SalemPats

SalemPats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +339 / 38 / -21

No Jersey Selected

Libertarian's are for middle class rural America because they don't believe in social service programs. They are pure free market. I personally think Libertarian politics is completely retarded

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +914 / 7 / -3

Many feel that liberal politics are extremely retarded too. Oops, we need to be careful with our wording. The PC police believes that the improper, and inconsiderate use of the term "retarded", should result in the loss of a testicle, or small limb. :D

In all seriousness, I consider myself very libertarian on a multitude of issues. I also think that social services are fine, but that the magnitude, scope, and extent are an issue. Further, I think those programs (generally speaking) are best kept at the local level. I despise the one-size fits all blanket that the federal government has become. It's become too large, too expensive, and too big to manage. Oh, and it's costs are unsustainable to say the least.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SalemPats

Ratings:
    +339 / 38 / -21

No Jersey Selected

We don't have a one-size fits all. States have way more power on domestic issues than the Federal government.

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Libertarian Gun Activist.. not sure who labeled them as such..

Most libertarians are situational and qualify themselves as such by attaching themselves to labels...i.e. small government libertarian, or 2nd amendment libertarian...

However the whole libertarian package tells a much different story.. some highlights

http://www.lp.org/platform

• Like Like x 1
  17. SalemPats

Ratings:
    +339 / 38 / -21

No Jersey Selected

It's very isolationist and in this global environment and understanding America's current role in the world this can't exist. It was fine in 1800s, but not now.

As for an Adam Smith free market, that just can't exist today

18. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +248 / 19 / -7

More like naive. They do not understand that humans are emotional creatures.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

It can be proven that dependency and depression coexist so I'm not sure you want to go down the emotional / government programs slippery slope. Too much government is not exactly beneficial to the human spirit ... a delicate balance is needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +248 / 19 / -7

I am not sure what you mean by this.