PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question Concerning All This 2006 Draft Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

edzo44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious, since we are once again speculating about draft picks for the Patriots, in the past drafts by BB & Pioli how many of the posters on this board have successfully predicted any of the actual picks by the Pats? Seems to me that ALL the picks the last 2 or 3 years have been total surprises to the bulk of the fans and the media. So fess up, has anyone here actually predicted ANY of the Pats choices? I've seen many very well thought out and marvelously researched mock drafts put forth on this board but I would really like to know, and I don't care about any other teams, has anyone here predicted any of the team's actual picks? And if they have, in the correct rounds? Is there a Mel Kiper among us?? :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Patchick and I picked Mankins.

There were a couple others who got two out of last years draft.

I think we're all one up on Mel, we try to understand BB's scheme, not pick guys who look good to the consensus.

I am not even close to a draft guru but I got the Seymour, Wilfork and Warren picks. I also kind of got Watson by saying "anything but a Tight End" ;)

The first round picks have been reasonably predictable except for Mankins. When we traded up for Graham, he was my second guess being Napolean Harris. Now, after the first round they always surprise me.

I should add that I pegged Mankins as a Belichick pick but I was looking for a trade up from the low 2nd to mid 2nd as opposed to the first but it now appears he'd have gone to SF with the next pick had we passed.

I knew in 2000 that Brady would be picked. I also knew they would take David Givens in Rd. 7 and he'd become a player. And I nailed Koppen in Rd. 5.

All kidding aside, I love how some people come forward a year, 2 years, and some cases 3 years later and say they "called" a particular pick. Puhhhhh leeeeeeeze.

Sooner -
I actually called the Matt Light pick in 2001. And I was ridiculed for it on the ESPN message board.

Also, I had Mankins and Kaczur on my wish list for the Pats to draft.

DaBruinz said:
Sooner -
I actually called the Matt Light pick in 2001. And I was ridiculed for it on the ESPN message board.

Also, I had Mankins and Kaczur on my wish list for the Pats to draft.

I had Mankins on my wish list but I knew better than to call the pick. Im not questioning anyone in particular's manhood, I just think it's funny to see people come out and say they called so and so, particularly the Wilfork pick. I remember being on the board that draft day and jaws were dropping right and left (in a positive way) when he was picked. The pre-draft consensus on him had been it'd be great to get him, but no way he falls that far.

I guessed Cedric Cobbs, Daniel Graham, Dexter Reid, and Eugene Wilson if its any consolation.

But I guarantee nobody guess Mankins or Hobbs.

drew4008 said:
I guessed Cedric Cobbs, Daniel Graham, Dexter Reid, and Eugene Wilson if its any consolation.

But I guarantee nobody guess Mankins or Hobbs.
Not much of guarantee then. :D

Big Mike predicted Benjamin Watson in the first.

That became a small legend around here.

SoonerPatriot said:
I just think it's funny to see people come out and say they called so and so, particularly the Wilfork pick. I remember being on the board that draft day and jaws were dropping right and left (in a positive way) when he was picked. The pre-draft consensus on him had been it'd be great to get him, but no way he falls that far.
Yeah, even a moron like me saw that one coming. But even then, you never know what a team will actually do.

BelichickFan said:
I should add that I pegged Mankins as a Belichick pick but I was looking for a trade up from the low 2nd to mid 2nd as opposed to the first but it now appears he'd have gone to SF with the next pick had we passed.

Good point, I was exactly the same. I had both Mankins and Wilfork on my 7-man prediction lists, but I assumed both would involve trades -- I thought Mankins would go lower, Wilfork higher. Oh, and I did peg Ryan Claridge just about right.

It's true that nobody really comes close to an accurate predition. But I think that a fan who follows one team closely can certainly outperform the "experts" in predicting that one team's picks, assuming front-office stability. Compared to a national observer, you look more at tendencies that go beyond positional needs. So, e.g. Mankins coming from Fresno State and Claridge growing up in a football family gave them legs up on my Pats board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back