PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question/Clarity on Washington's Blocked Punt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rule establishes the blocked kick, behind the LOS, as a live ball. It doesn't matter what procedure is being employed by the offensive team on fourth down, it matters whether the ball is alive or dead, and the position of the ball at the end of the play. Say the Jets tried a fake punt and the punter ran the ball, but was cut short of the first down, the result would be the same: over on downs. In the case in point the punt was blocked by Washington and as it was behind the LOS it was a live ball. If the Jets scooped up the ball after Washington blocked it, and the recovering Jet, instead of falling on the football ran forward and gained enough yards for a first down, then it would have been first and ten, Jets. What happened is that the recovering Jet fell on the ball and was down by contact at the Jets' 3-yard line. The reason that ball turned over on downs was then when the ball went from live to dead it didn't even make it back to the LOS, never mind gaining enough ground for first yardage. That is the critical issue: where was the rock when the play was called dead. Answer: deep behind the original LOS. Net result: over on downs to Patriots.

As another example, say the Jets went for it on fourth down and handed the ball off. At the LOS the running back fumbles the ball laterally and it is recovered by a Jet guard who falls on the ball, followed by contact by the Patriots, resulting in the play being whistled dead. So the Jets recovered their own fumble on fouth down, but the recovery didn't make first down yardage. Net result: the same as what happened with the blocked punt, except in the case with the blocked punt the Patriots got much better field position on the turnover on downs.

As another example, say the Jets went for it on fourth down and handed the ball off. At the LOS the running back fumbles the ball laterally and it is recovered by a Jet guard who falls on the ball, followed by contact by the Patriots, resulting in the play being whistled dead. So the Jets recovered their own fumble on fourth down, but the recovery didn't make first down yardage. Net result: the same as what happened with the blocked punt, except in the case with the blocked punt the Patriots got much better field position on the turnover on downs.

One final point: the issue of the ball being alive or dead on a punt depending on the LOS is critical. Any activity with a football behind the LOS means the ball is live to both the offense and defense, with the normal NFL rules applying. After crossing the LOS a punt means that the ball is dead to the offensive team and alive to the defensive team, with the major exception if a defensive player makes contact with the ball after the LOS, in which case the football becomes live once again to the offense. This happened in the Pittsburgh game last week you may recall.

Excellent thread -- thanks!

Maybe I'm just over-enamoured of my own posts and wonder why nobody reads them, but I think a pretty much covered all the ground re-covered and re-covered after that in post number 9. I even linked the rule that was later cited (but incompletely.)

A blocked kick that is next touched behind the line of scrimmage is just a live ball, and the play is just like any other play. If the kicking team recovers, the result of the play is the result of the play. If they, for some reason, punted on third down, and didn't make the line of gain, it's now their ball on fourth down. If it was fourth down, and they didn't make the line of gain, it's a turnover on downs. A blocked kick that makes it beyond the LOS before it is next touched is just a punt, like any other.

Maybe I'm just over-enamoured of my own posts and wonder why nobody reads them, but I think a pretty much covered all the ground re-covered and re-covered after that in post number 9. I even linked the rule that was later cited (but incompletely.)

this is a message board. here for the sole purpose to beat topics into the ground.:D

A blocked kick that is next touched behind the line of scrimmage is just a live ball, and the play is just like any other play. If the kicking team recovers, the result of the play is the result of the play. If they, for some reason, punted on third down, and didn't make the line of gain, it's now their ball on fourth down. If it was fourth down, and they didn't make the line of gain, it's a turnover on downs. A blocked kick that makes it beyond the LOS before it is next touched is just a punt, like any other.

All this is correct, just to add a bit. If a blocked punt crosses the LOS, and is touched by the receiving team (not recovered), the kicking team can recover BUT NOT ADVANCE. If the receiving team possesses the kick after it crosses, then fumbles, the receiving team can recover AND advance.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back