PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question - Can the Patriots Franchise Mankins next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Today a couple friends were questioning Mankins status after the season.

On said that the Pat's could franchise Mankins.
Another said that Mankins came back to get his service time and he
can walk away after the season and the Pats will get a 3rd round comp
pick in 2012..

I am not sure..... So I came to the right place for the answer.

Today a couple friends were questioning Mankins status after the season.

On said that the Pat's could franchise Mankins.
Another said that Mankins came back to get his service time and he
can walk away after the season and the Pats will get a 3rd round comp
pick in 2012..

I am not sure..... So I came to the right place for the answer.

I am pretty sure they can (and will). He could end up being an RFA again depending on how things shake out.

Hopefully we signs a long term deal and this becomes mute, although it is looking more and more like a lockout is coming.

Nobody can answer that question until the new CBA is written. It might not even have a FA tag. Or it could be such that you need 8 years to be an UFA. As we don't know what the CBA will read there is no way to know.

Service time has nothing to do with it. RFA or UFA doesn't either, though if he's RFA, they could just add the highest tender and keep the tag.

Assuming the same deal were in place though, yes, they could franchise him. But the new CBA could have all sorts of changes in it.

Nobody can answer that question until the new CBA is written. It might not even have a FA tag. Or it could be such that you need 8 years to be an UFA. As we don't know what the CBA will read there is no way to know.

Maybe Deion will sit him down and tell him how the grass isn't always greener and after wandering in the desert for several years how he (Branch) is glad to be home. Then Mankins and his agent talk to Mr. Kraft and they come to an agreement on a long term deal....
I can dream can't I?????

The patriots should not tag mankins in the off season. After 6 years , he has earned the right to get big money contract. If the patriots won't meet his demands, they should give him the opportunity to test the market. It will be cruel if they tag him again. My guess is the new cba will address this issue.

The patriots should not tag mankins in the off season. After 6 years , he has earned the right to get big money contract. If the patriots won't meet his demands, they should give him the opportunity to test the market. It will be cruel if they tag him again. My guess is the new cba will address this issue.

What the...

This is professional football. You don't just give up a Pro Bowl player for nothing just because he might throw a tantrum or because it might seem unfair to some fans.

And forgive me if I can't produce tears for a guy who'll get a huge payout if he is franchised. The OL franchise tag was worth over $10.7 million this season. For some reason, hard to sympathize with poor lil Logan Mankins being franchised...oh the humanity!

Last edited:
Maybe Deion will sit him down and tell him how the grass isn't always greener and after wandering in the desert for several years how he (Branch) is glad to be home. Then Mankins and his agent talk to Mr. Kraft and they come to an agreement on a long term deal....
I can dream can't I?????

Add in a long distance call to a certain Titan's WR....

Ive said this before, and although there isnt anything official on this, i believe there was a gentleman's agreement for Mankins to return to the team earlier than the absolute deadline as long as they agree not to franchise tag him for 2011.

Franchise tag is just like the tender they placed on mankins in that he would have to sign it in order to actually be considered their property, meaning that they would be in pretty much the same situation they were in this season if he decided to be difficult as he was before.

Think about it, Mankins returned the the team 2 weeks before he was required to, there is little reason he would do this unless the patriots had something to offer him, he wouldn't take the risk of being injured in 2 games for the $60,000-$80,000 per game he would be getting and putting his future contract negotiations in jeopardy unless he had something in it for him.

No i believe what Mankins really wants is to be an absolute free agent and see what his value is in the market. even when the patriots offered him a respectable contract he figured he could possibly get more, if he gets to actual free agency, as well as he has played so far this season, he will be able to get that contract again easily from the patriots and possibly more from someone else.

Mankins would likely sign the tag play for the average of the top 5 LT's of the league.

Players hate the franchise tag because it pays them well for one season but grants them no security for the future, if they get injured (and it does happen in the nfl), their value takes a huge hit.

players would rather negotiate a deal where they have guaranteed money.

5 years 45 million with 28 million guaranteed > 8-10 million for 1 year. its all about the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back