PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: Besides Tom Brady...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
. . . who can the Patriots not afford to lose if there is any hope of competing in (and hopefully winning) the Superbowl? Is there any other player that is completely indispensable?

Re: Question: Besides Tom Brady . . .

Wilfork. Only because we don't know how Brace would do in the event that he had to play NT.

That is actually a good question and a tough one to answer. I think most people would agree that it would be Vince Wilfork. However, there are some teams that are able to get away with running a 3-4 without an elite NT. With that said, I can't really think of anybody else.

What about Welker? He's been the leading receiver (in receptions) for the past two seasons. Had the Patriots finished the deal a few years ago, he would have been MVP (I'm sure). He was the most consistent in the playoffs overall that year. He's been the most consistent throughout. I know he operates in the slot, and Moss is being double-teamed a lot, but maybe that's what makes Welker so necessary. What do you all think?

What about Welker? He's been the leading receiver (in receptions) for the past two seasons. Had the Patriots finished the deal a few years ago, he would have been MVP (I'm sure). He was the most consistent in the playoffs overall that year. He's been the most consistent throughout. I know he operates in the slot, and Moss is being double-teamed a lot, but maybe that's what makes Welker so necessary. What do you all think?

We'd have to see what Welker would be able to do without Moss lined up on the other side. Hopefully that NEVER happens. :eek:

We'd have to see what Welker would be able to do without Moss lined up on the other side. Hopefully that NEVER happens. :eek:

True indeed.

How about Adalius? I think losing him again would be scary.

It's already happening. :(

05112009wr600.jpg

;)

Like who??

I knew someone would ask that. Jay Ratliff is a converted DE, he isn't considered elite even though he recorded 8 sacks. Jason Ferguson of Miami who used to be considered a top notch NT when he was with the New York Jets. However, he's getting up there in age. Lastly, Aubrayo Franklin of the San Fransisco 49ers. They ranked one yard better in the run defense category than the Pats.

Last edited:

How about Adalius? I think losing him again would be scary.
I was just thinking that given the way the team is constructed and who the backups are, Adalius Thomas and Jerod Mayo are worth considering - after Brady and Wilfork. My first instinct was to name Seymour third, but those two may be more valuable to the team's success than Seymour right now.

Nah. Barring a plethora of injuries, this team is a contender as long as Brady is healthy.

I was just thinking that given the way the team is constructed and who the backups are, Adalius Thomas and Jerod Mayo are worth considering - after Brady and Wilfork. My first instinct was to name Seymour third, but those two may be more valuable to the team's success than Seymour right now.

I was also thinking about Mayo.

Seymour, IMO. In 2007 we were pretty weak against the run when he was out.

Stephen Neal made a pretty good case for himself, I'd say.

Defensively, it's close between Wilfork and Mayo. We're effed either way if one goes down.

Offensively, it is without question Welker. If an offense doesn't have an outlet receiver and a 1st down machine, they are prone to stalling. Granted, TFB makes any receiver better, but the odds of the offense being what it is without Welker are slim and none. Moss is an outstanding deep threat, an incredible technician, and posesses the best ball skills this generation has seen. That said, his "we cannot loose him" value is decreased by the presence of Galloway. Galloway can still stretch the field, run the 6's, 7's, and 8's quite well. He can still be dangerous on bubble screens, he can still run a dirty 15 yard in. Due to Galloway's presence, Moss' "we cannot loose him" value is decreased. There isn't a player in the NFL on the level of Welker right now in terms of quickness and tenacity. Other than Brady, unquestionably, it is Welker.

Defensively, it's close between Wilfork and Mayo. We're effed either way if one goes down.

Offensively, it is without question Welker. If an offense doesn't have an outlet receiver and a 1st down machine, they are prone to stalling. Granted, TFB makes any receiver better, but the odds of the offense being what it is without Welker are slim and none. Moss is an outstanding deep threat, an incredible technician, and posesses the best ball skills this generation has seen. That said, his "we cannot loose him" value is decreased by the presence of Galloway. Galloway can still stretch the field, run the 6's, 7's, and 8's quite well. He can still be dangerous on bubble screens, he can still run a dirty 15 yard in. Due to Galloway's presence, Moss' "we cannot loose him" value is decreased. There isn't a player in the NFL on the level of Welker right now in terms of quickness and tenacity. Other than Brady, unquestionably, it is Welker.
Welker came to mind for me as well; hence, I posed the question earlier in the thread. Honestly, though, I'm almost too afraid of the thought of losing anyone mentioned in this thread, as well as some who have not been mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes