Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question about trade for 49ers pick...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by shawn1985, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawn1985

shawn1985 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I hope I'm not breaking some newbie rule by making my own topic, but I have had a thought in my head for a few days and have been wondering what some other pats fans think about the situation.

When the Pats traded the second 1st round pick to the 49ers this year, I know I was thinking (and I assume I wasnt alone about this) that they didn't seem like the best team to trade into the future with, given that the 49ers seemed to be an up and coming team headed in the right direction. I know a lot of people were predicting them to be a 9-7 or 10-6 potential sleeper playoff team.

Fast forward to week 9 and San Francisco sits at 2-6 with a possible top 5 pick seemingly in the patriot's future. My question is, how much prediction do you guys think went into trading to San Fran on Piloi and Belichick's side? I know trying to imagine what these guys do is tougher than cracking into the inner workings of the KGB, but do you think they simply had no other teams offering? Just got lucky with some tough breaks and injuries to 49ers players? or do you think they saw a fundamentally flawed and overrated team? Additionally, assuming that the trade transpired during the draft, do you think the Pats went into the day with notions of how they projected teams into next year, or it just sort of happened on the fly?

(I hope this doesn't seem too much like the "OMG Bioli can do no wrong and know exactly whats going to happen!!" that sometimes goes on these days)
  2. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

They probably had not a clue of what ANY NFC team is going to do,Its far too hard to try and pick a good team out of that conference in the offseason

So No,I just think they thought the trade would be a good deal and took it,Its just a bonus that we will probably get a #5-#12 pick

BTW Shawn A gracious welcome to the board!!
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  3. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't think the record of the 49ers really came into it. I think it was more of an issue that they didn't like the draft class last year and wanted to get out of it.
  4. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,098 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

I'm pretty sure BB said after the draft that they had a variety of offers but thought SF's was the best because it could turn into a pretty high pick.
  5. Nordy

Nordy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

San Fran was undeserving of all the off-season hype they were getting. I'm sure BB and Pioli could see that they really weren't that good.
  6. roguepatriot

roguepatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personnally, I think the 49ers were overrated last year due to a having a very easy schedule and some somewhat lucky wins. NFL teams often show improvement under these circumstances, only to fall back the next year. Others on this site saw this to. Was I expecting a top 5 pick out of this; no, and it still may not be. But I definitely thought top 15 and that this was a good trade, especially as this year's draft was considered significantly better. If I can see this, who knows how much more BB & SP saw/predicted.

Also for the trade they took, my guess is that they could have had other offers.
  7. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

I think they know a LOT going in - 2008 is a better draft class, the general feeling about how good or bad a potential trading partner might end up being, etc... But mostly I think they take whatever deal seems the best, with that limited info, and make their move. I don't think anyone foresaw how bad SF would be, even though many of us assumed they were a bit overrated.

Good thread, by the way. Welcome aboard.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +335 / 21 / -2

Sure the SF pick had more potential than others, but I don't think that the key factor was a forecast of SF performance. The Front Office didn't think much of the quality of last year's draft. We traded for players when we could, and traded to next year when we could.

We could have drafted an OT and a RB. Some even suggested that we could have drafted a linebacker or a corner. We could had another two top picks (three if we traded down). Instead we waited until next year, with SF and Oakland picks in a fine draft.

As we have since Belichick came, we still are looking for Day One corners, linebackers, perhaps a running back, and we always could use a safety (we carry seven).
  9. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As Patchick said, they had other offers. I believe the Falcons were among the teams offering a trade, but NE thought the 49ers were offering the better deal.

I don't know how much of the Patriots trade consideration involved their projecting the 49ers 2008 first, but I'm pretty sure BB & Pioli thought a 2008 first rounder (even at the tail end of the round) would have more value than that 2007 first rounder. It's well known BB & Pioli didn't like the 2007 class.

It's kind of funny the Patriots used that 28th pick to get both Randy Moss (via later trade with Oakland), and what could end up being a top 5-10 2008 draft pick. :cool:

PS: I don't know if it's just luck or if they are actually projecting these teams success correctly, but if you remember, the Ravens gave up a first rounder to NE, and it ended up being higher than a lot of people expected it to be.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Based on conference and division there was the chance that SF would do fairly well but several of us were trying to get the point across that SF gave up the most points in the league last year, had the third worst point differential and were lucky to be 7-9. We were called homers but it was clear based on those numbers that SF would have to be improved just to match the 7-9 record of last year.
  11. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I say this was the team the Pats thought had the best chance of having a bad season. At the time of the draft, I thought the trade between Dallas and Clevland would turn out to be better than the Pats/9ers. Who would have thought Clevland would be contending for a playoff spot? Not I. In fact, I thought Clevland would end up with the worst record in the NFL. However, I didn't believe the hype the 9ers were getting after signing Nate Clements (good but no one is worth 60-80 million dollars), Tully Banta Cain (one demensional pass rusher), Michael Lewis (was benched in Philly for getting burnt on a regular basis) and Aburyo Franklin (who hasn't done much this season). While the 9ers are happy with Staley, it may turn out that the Pats get the better end of the deal. I don't see the 9ers winning more than 5 games this year, their team is that bad. In the end, the Pats may get pretty lucky and decide which stud they can add to their team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.