PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about the Seymour trade for football professors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Does anyone here remember or know that in NFL history of how many situations like the Seymour trade happened where a former #1 draft pick who has played a long time in the league (more than 7 years) was traded away for another #1 draft pick 8 years later?

I cannot remember any other team getting a #1 for trading a former pick of thiers who they chose at #1 with a player playing that long in the league.

Is this a first?

If it is it shows you just how good of compensation the Patriots received.

Last edited:
Does anyone here remember or know that in NFL history of how many situations like the Seymour trade happened where a former #1 draft pick who has played a long time in the league (more than 7 years) was traded away for another #1 draft pick 8 years later?

I cannot remember any other team getting a #1 for trading a former pick of thiers who they chose at #1 with a player playing that long in the league.

Is this a first?

Or even a 30 year old DL traded for a #1.

Drew Bledsoe comes to mind

As fleecings go, this one isn't even in the same league as the Jim Plunkett trade. In 1976, Chuck Fairbanks traded him to SF for two #1's in the 1976 draft, and a #1 and a #2 in the 1977 draft.

I suspect it used to happen a lot more in the past. OJ Simpson is one who comes to mind - and, if I remember correctly, that was a case of the #1 pick in the entire draft being traded for another #1 pick in the entire draft, plus more draft picks.

Is this a first?

Galloway wasn't in the league as long as Sey when Dallas got him, but they did give up TWO 1st picks.

As fleecings go, this one isn't even in the same league as the Jim Plunkett trade. In 1976, Chuck Fairbanks traded him to SF for two #1's in the 1976 draft, and a #1 and a #2 in the 1977 draft.

Chuck Fairbanks or Bucko Kilroy?

More recently, Mike Holmgren gave 2 first round picks to the Packers when he took over the Seahawks. This was to acquire Matt Hasselbeck, who had, to that point, never even started a single game in the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back