PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about the poison pill??

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I somewhat get how it works. My question is might it hurt us down the road when we might want to resign him?
Lets use the rumored numbers as an example. what I have heard is 7 years 38 mil. what it really breaks down to is 5 years 18 mil and the final two years 20 mil which would be voidable for us but not miami. so lets say he plays really well for 5 years and we want to keep him but his numbers would be rediculous, he would have us under a gun as we would be on the books for numbers to high to retain him and he could demand a lot because our other option would be to void the contract and let him free.

If we have this guy for 5 whole years, why worry about six and seven

years from now?

Last edited:
I somewhat get how it works. My question is might it hurt us down the road when we might want to resign him?
Lets use the rumored numbers as an example. what I have heard is 7 years 38 mil. what it really breaks down to is 5 years 18 mil and the final two years 20 mil which would be voidable for us but not miami. so lets say he plays really well for 5 years and we want to keep him but his numbers would be rediculous, he would have us under a gun as we would be on the books for numbers to high to retain him and he could demand a lot because our other option would be to void the contract and let him free.
So, in otherwords, he'll be just like every other WR on the team... if they play well, the day will come when they will want to see their fortunes elsewhere. I don't think Belichick and Pioli are worried about keeping Welker around for the 2012 season right now...

Yes, but since the contract wouldn't be guaranteed, just bloated salaries, you could cut him and free up tons of cap space. If the contract goes through, expect Welker to simply restructure in an extension prior to those final 2 years. He'll get nice money for his last contract, and we'll still get some valuable cap space.

Lets use the rumored numbers as an example. what I have heard is 7 years 38 mil. what it really breaks down to is 5 years 18 mil and the final two years 20 mil which would be voidable for us but not miami. so lets say he plays really well for 5 years and we want to keep him but his numbers would be ridiculous, he would have us under a gun as we would be on the books for numbers to high to retain him and he could demand a lot because our other option would be to void the contract and let him free.

I REALLY hope this becomes a huge problem in 5 years...that will mean we made one hell of a deal and our slot worries are non existent, at least until 2012!!

The biggest potential problem with the poison pill in this contract is if a huge flood closes down Gillette and the Pats play their home games in Orlando, activating the "5 or more game within the state of FL" clause and automatically garauntees the 20M

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes