PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about preseason games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadJacksonFan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Chad Jackson should get a bunch of reps in those games since Moss and Welker will play maybe 1 series at most right?

Sure. Whatever.

Chad Jackson should get a bunch of reps in those games since Moss and Welker will play maybe 1 series at most right?
I would imagine Chad would get alot of work to see what he has to offer. Moss and welker will get more than one series a game though too.

It all depends...last year MOss was injured and kept out.....all depends.

Funny thing about receivers and preseason. There are 3 backup QBs. They will see most of the action. Under pressure, they will find the guys they feel comfortable with.

To make the team, a WR must have rapport with Brady, but he also must have rapport with the QB who is lined up at the same time in the preseason game. A lot of luck involved and the coaches know that, which is why our evaluation of what happens in a game may have little to do with what is driving a coach's decision.

That's an interesting point. How good a measuring stick do you guys think Pre-Season games are? Which units get the fairest representation?

I would guess the Back-up QB's, but I'm an admitted n00b.

That's an interesting point. How good a measuring stick do you guys think Pre-Season games are? Which units get the fairest representation?

That's a good question. I wouldn't have said backup QBs, because they depend too much on whose around them: protection of the line, route running of the WRs, blitz pickup of the RBs and TEs.

Linemen depend on each other, but not on the skill players. LBs depend on the DL, but even the backup DL for the Pats is pretty good esp. against other team's backup OL, so I think the LBs can be judged fairly. A good thing because it's a battleground this year.

Tough to judge the secondary, but when a CB is beaten in man coverage, well, that's hard to hide, but you have to know who his man was and I often don't know and the TV doesn't show enough. Personally, I never know with safeties, unless they do something good -- lay a big hit or snag an int, but even then the coaches might be pissed if the guy was out of position or took a big chance and got lucky.

WRs are hard to tell, esp. with backup QBs. Did the QB make a bad throw or the WR run the wrong route. Only the coaches (and the players) know.

Of course, the level of competition makes the field uneven and unfair. A lineman beating his man all day might be playing a UDFA scrub while the guy struggling next to him is playing a future all-pro.

That's why I watch for fun, and wait for Reiss and a few of the guys on this board, like unoriginal and tripleoption and box-o-rocks to tell me what really happened.

In the days of Albert Breer, we could count on the Tale of the Tape, which is something I really miss. This board helps make up for it.

Sure. Whatever.

oh jeez pats1..is that questions beneath you?? I would have thought being a moderator would have brought with it a little class. Did mommy not teach you, "if you have nothing to say dont say anything at all" or does the apple not fall too far from the tree?

In response to the question...yes jackson should get a bunch of reps. Welker will probably pay 1 to 2 series each preseason game except for the third which will probably have him playing a half and the last preseason game where he probably wont play at all. I dont think Moss will play at all (just like last year) except for maybe 2 series during the third preseason game if his "hammy" isnt hurt

Awesome. Well, I'm excited to watch cluelessly (hey, it's still football!) and check in here for opinions from the sofa experts.

I'm hoping that by the time I retire (33-or so years) I'll know enough to tell, haha.

I guess in a pre-season game if Mayo or Crable are pounding the QB all day long, we'll know we've got something, even if the regular season is a lot tougher, than if those guys can't find the man in the early snaps.

That is an interesting question.

I am not sure how to answer except that I know they take a lot of stock in you doing your responsibility. And in preseason as the compitition can be skewed I would imagine exacution rather than results would mean more.

meaning lets say you are the FB on a given play. If you hit the right hole and block the correct guy I would imagine you would grade out good for the play even if it was a loss. Conversely if you hit the wrong hole and missed your block but the play went for 30 yards yuo prolly still are not going to grade out well.

That is an interesting question.

I am not sure how to answer except that I know they take a lot of stock in you doing your responsibility. And in preseason as the compitition can be skewed I would imagine exacution rather than results would mean more.

meaning lets say you are the FB on a given play. If you hit the right hole and block the correct guy I would imagine you would grade out good for the play even if it was a loss. Conversely if you hit the wrong hole and missed your block but the play went for 30 yards yuo prolly still are not going to grade out well.

Yeah, that really makes a lot of sense, actually. So for WR's, run your route. If the ball lands 20 feet away, it's the QB who takes the hit. The sucky thing is that we can't tell any of that stuff from watching. Ah well.

Didn't the Buc's beat NE in the pre-season last year?

I would say so. Kelly Washington too. Don't mind the haters, I think it's great you're supporting your guy and hope he has a solid season. He's got a ton of talent, that's for sure.

How many feet is the restraining order that Chad slapped on you? :cool:

Why do you give a rats ass if I follow Chad. We went to the same high school. He helps the school out still today. If you have a problem with my following of Chad you can go screw yourself you prick. I joined this board before you did have posted less than 100 times you have posted over 2000 you are the one spends alot more time on here than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes