PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about our Secondary - do Pats have NFL's shortest defensive backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Do we have the shortest secondary in the league? With dowling out for the year, here is the list of our height in our secondary

Denard- 5'10"
McCourty- 5'11"
Wilson- 5'11"
Arrington- 5'10"
Allen- 5'10"
Chung- 5'11"
Ebner- 6'0"
Gregory- 5'11"
Moore- 5'10"

So in an era where number 1 NFL wide Receivers are typically 6'4-6'5" tall with 4.4 speed, we decided to replenish are secondary guys with a bunch of players who would get physically dominated by most elite big WR's in the NFL?

I do not understand why we don't covet height more in our secondary. Look at Seattle. They have a great secondary, most of there guys are 6'3-6'4" tall.

Any opinion on this? I am worried about our secondary smurfs getting dominated in jump balls with Andre Johnson types going forward.

bumpidy bump

Do we have the shortest secondary in the league? With dowling out for the year, here is the list of our height in our secondary

Denard- 5'10"
McCourty- 5'11"
Wilson- 5'11"
Arrington- 5'10"
Allen- 5'10"
Chung- 5'11"
Ebner- 6'0"
Gregory- 5'11"
Moore- 5'10"

So in an era where number 1 NFL wide Receivers are typically 6'4-6'5" tall with 4.4 speed, we decided to replenish are secondary guys with a bunch of players who would get physically dominated by most elite big WR's in the NFL?

I do not understand why we don't covet height more in our secondary. Look at Seattle. They have a great secondary, most of there guys are 6'3-6'4" tall.

Any opinion on this? I am worried about our secondary smurfs getting dominated in jump balls with Andre Johnson types going forward.

Too bad Polian isnt our GM or he would have
1)either made it mandatory that all safeties and corners wear high heels
2)made it mandatory that all WRs should have 20 pound rocks tied to their legs while on the field.

We don't have anybody under 5'10" which is fine. There's plenty of better CBs out there than ours that are 5'10" or 5'11". Heck, Tim Jennings is 5'8" and Brandon Flowers is 5'9".

Ahem, Revis is 5'11".

/thread

Denard- 5'10"
McCourty- 5'11"
Wilson- 5'11"
Arrington- 5'10"
Allen- 5'10"
Chung- 5'11"
Ebner- 6'0"
Gregory- 5'11"
Moore- 5'10"

Been complaining about this for years. BillB's "perfect DB size" is 5-10 to 5-11, because be believes that speed is the factor.

Yet another flaw in his thinking...

How many WRs are there in the NFL that are actually 6'4" and run a 4.4? And how many of them are actually good?

Been complaining about this for years. BillB's "perfect DB size" is 5-10 to 5-11, because be believes that speed is the factor.

Yet another flaw in his thinking...

It appears to be a flaw in your thinking because the entire rest of the NFL except Seattle agrees that 5'10/5'11 with some speed and TECHNIQUE is the magical formula.

How many WRs are there in the NFL that are actually 6'4" and run a 4.4? And how many of them are actually good?

I think only Calvin Johnson fits this description. I understood the concern when we had a bunch of 5'8 guys in the secondary, but 5'10 or 5'11 are pretty good sizes for a corner.

I have not seen any posts complaining about a corner's lack of size since Ellis Hobbs. Tall corners is not the reason they are getting toasted. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind seeing a tall receiver catching a ball over the outstretched hands of one of our corners, at least their in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back