PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about Malcolm Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurker1965

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Crazy thought on Malcolm Mitchell. First off, I don't know if this is legal or practical. I'm hearing 4 weeks. When he comes back can he work out with Brady? I'm not saying that would make him a lock, but will it be better than missing out on his rookie preseason come weeks 5-17 when there are injuries?

I'm assuming he is cut and not on the team and since he's injured no one takes him on waivers.

I don't follow off season much, is there a chance he clears waivers? And if he gets one of those injury settlement things does that mean he counts as on the team? And even if all this is kosher is it close enough to the line where article 46 means facts do NOT matter and Herr Goodell might say, "4 more games, DUMMKOPF!"

He won't be cut. And Brady is not allowed to do anything with the team during his UNDESERVED suspension.

He won't be cut. And Brady is not allowed to do anything with the team during his UNDESERVED suspension.
He won't be cut because he won't clear waivers or because you can't cut injured players. Will he be on IR?

He won't be cut. He'll either be back or IRed.

He won't be cut because he won't clear waivers or because you can't cut injured players. Will he be on IR?
He won't be cut because they want him on this team and his draft status. He's only probably going to miss the first few games if all goes well, so no IR (IMO).

Last edited:
Crazy thought on Malcolm Mitchell. First off, I don't know if this is legal or practical. I'm hearing 4 weeks. When he comes back can he work out with Brady? I'm not saying that would make him a lock, but will it be better than missing out on his rookie preseason come weeks 5-17 when there are injuries?

I'm assuming he is cut and not on the team and since he's injured no one takes him on waivers.

I don't follow off season much, is there a chance he clears waivers? And if he gets one of those injury settlement things does that mean he counts as on the team? And even if all this is kosher is it close enough to the line where article 46 means facts do NOT matter and Herr Goodell might say, "4 more games, DUMMKOPF!"

No one employed by the NEP or another team cannot interact or practice with Brady.

Mitchell looked outstanding the other night prior to the injury, he looked like a legit all pro level WR. If they were willing to have Martin on the roster until week 5 not playing due to an injury last season they'll almost certainly do the same this season for Mitchell. He has a chance to be an Antonio Brown level player in my opinion and I have liked him since before the draft. Smart, quick, plays physical, has huge hands. He us all the tools to be a star.

Mitchell looked outstanding the other night prior to the injury, he looked like a legit all pro level WR. If they were willing to have Martin on the roster until week 5 not playing due to an injury last season they'll almost certainly do the same this season for Mitchell. He has a chance to be an Antonio Brown level player in my opinion and I have liked him since before the draft. Smart, quick, plays physical, has huge hands. He us all the tools to be a star.
Woah, pump the breaks. Good showing for the kid, yes. But you're throwing around All-Pro and comparing Mitchell to arguably the best receiver in the game already...after one preseason game that he didn't even finish upright? Talk about going overboard. Let's see him play at least one full regular season game, huh.

Cut?!? Cut your fourth round pick because of an injury? Cut your fourth round pick who has impressed all through out camp in a position where historically you struggle to develop players?

Hope this is a troll post..

Cut?!? Cut your fourth round pick because of an injury? Cut your fourth round pick who has impressed all through out camp in a position where historically you struggle to develop players?

Hope this is a troll post..
Relax. From what I have been able to surmise, the OP sounds like someone who may only have a very basic understanding of how these things work. He/she even stated in the original post that he/she doesn't really pay attention to off season moves and such. I think he's/she's legitimately just trying to understand.

Last edited:
He won't be cut because they want him in this team and his draft status. He's only probably going to miss the first few games if all goes well, so no IR (IMO).
I don't know, a rookie WR on this team who misses the first few games might as well be IRed for all he'll contribute.

I don't know, a rookie WR on this team who misses the first few games might as well be IRed for all he'll contribute.
We'll see. I don't think he will be, but BB usually does what he wants. I've been wrong before. It aint that bad. ;)

Woah, pump the breaks. Good showing for the kid, yes. But you're throwing around All-Pro and comparing Mitchell to arguably the best receiver in the game already...after one preseason game that he didn't even finish upright? Talk about going overboard. Let's see him play at least one full regular season game, huh.
Thanks for this post. Was about to say similar when I read this earlier on. He made a few nice catches and moves...suggestions of 'all pro' and name dropping 'Antonio Brown' is a pretty huge leap.

It will also depend on the health of the other guys at the position. Edleman , Amendola, Hogan, Martin all currently recovering as well.

I watched him play in college, and based on his athletic ability he has a very similar makeup to Brown.

That injury was a freak injury so his finishing the game upright is irrelevant.

He has a chance to be a very special player, you can pump your brakes all you want I'm going to keep my hype train in motion though.

Thanks for this post. Was about to say similar when I read this earlier on. He made a few nice catches and moves...suggestions of 'all pro' and name dropping 'Antonio Brown' is a pretty huge leap.
Where was Brown taken in the draft? Dumb question I know because more than likely you don't know and will just google it and pretend like you do.

He was a 6th round draft pick end of the 6th to be more accurate, and had just 16 catches his rookie season. I'm sure there was someone who hyped Brown back in 2010 and there were some naysayers who immediately spout back about it.

This is the issue, you are basing you assessment on Mitchell from his single preseason game I am basing it on him being a 5-star recruit coming out of high school, an all-SEC player as a freshman in college, and then finally getting back to 100% from a knee injury this past season. I'll stick with my assessment and you can go with yours, I included Mitchell in every mock draft I did this offseason and I'm not backing off my belief that he can be a top 10 WR in the NFL.

I watched him play in college, and based on his athletic ability he has a very similar makeup to Brown.

That injury was a freak injury so his finishing the game upright is irrelevant.

He has a chance to be a very special player, you can pump your brakes all you want I'm going to keep my hype train in motion though.

When i look at Mitchell I think his ceiling is a low WR1. I don't see him having the break away speed or quickness or dominant strength to be a average/great WR1 but he has a number of tools that if he learns to use effectively he can be pretty dang good. Maybe I am wrong but that is just my impression.

I would be perfectly happy with that if that is what his ceiling is and what he turns into. We will see though and if i was wrong and he can be better than that I would love to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes