PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about League rules on using other team's stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
An earlier post said it is against League rules for one team to pass on info to another about an upcoming opponent.

On the TV telecast tonight, there was a citing of an acknowledgment from Pennington that Mangini showed him/gave him the Pats scouting info on him. Wouldn't that document be Patriot's property, and therefore wouldn't Mangini taking it from the Pats and providing it to the Jets be not only against League rules, but criminal?

If a person did this in regular private enterprise, it would be a crime. I don't see why the NFL would be different.

Any insights?

I heard that also and though the exact same thing. It IS property of the Patriots unless Mangini kept a seperate personal one. If Mangini did NOT keep a seperate personal one, then Mangini has Patriot property and the Patriots can go after it as far as I know.

I heard that also and though the exact same thing. It IS property of the Patriots unless Mangini kept a seperate personal one. If Mangini did NOT keep a seperate personal one, then Mangini has Patriot property and the Patriots can go after it as far as I know.

Good, thanks, keeps me from thinking I'm nuts.

Building on your thought: even if he kept a "seperate, personal one", if he compiled it while an employee of the Pats, and used information gained during his duties as an employee of the Pats, it isn't his property. Only works of fiction would fit that definition.

Good, thanks, keeps me from thinking I'm nuts.

Building on your thought: even if he kept a "seperate, personal one", if he compiled it while an employee of the Pats, and used information gained during his duties as an employee of the Pats, it isn't his property. Only works of fiction would fit that definition.

Unfortunately, its impossible to not use information gained during his duties an an employee of the Patriots. That's what coaches do. They build upon their experiences. Whether they move to other jobs or not. I know he'd have to turn in his play-book. Just like players. I would think scouting manuals and such would also have to be turning in. But, again, it all depends on the rules governing intellectual property that are in the contracts of the coaches.

He also probably has most if not all the stuff memorized anyway, so even if you take away his hard copy of it he might have it in his head, also, he might have it saved or on a personal laptop typed into it and saved onto the hard drive, and I doubt we went FBI on him and bumrushed into his house to grab his stuff.

He also probably has most if not all the stuff memorized anyway, so even if you take away his hard copy of it he might have it in his head, also, he might have it saved or on a personal laptop typed into it and saved onto the hard drive, and I doubt we went FBI on him and bumrushed into his house to grab his stuff.

I get all that. But Pennington said Mangini gave him Patriot's hard copy. That's a horse of a different color.

And if it is indeed a crime, what the Patriots want to do may not matter (the victom doesn't get to decide whether or not to prosecute).

its overblown IMO...someone posted the pats off playbook from 2003 or something in this forum once..
even BB said once that everyone has their playbook like cleveland new york...doesnt mean much because you can just read it up and play on sunday..on the other hand..coaches discussing adjustments or tendencies of opponents can be more helpful IMO

Last edited:
I've not seen a link to any news reports or NFL rules that support whomever claimed it was against the rules. I took copies of my work product when I left jobs, that product is part of my knowledge archived in a more accessible form. I have no problem with Mangini sharing his knowledge earned while being a Pats' coach - it's just as simple as that for me. Paranoia about the two Schotties pooling their knowledge is...words fail me. **yawn** Cliche time, "it is what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes