Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question about last night's GOP Debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Drewski, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I must admit that I didn't watch it and I apologize for starting a new thread when we have had many before (Patters/PF13, if you would like to merge this feel free). However I did see some of the headlines on CNN.com last night and this morning. For anyone who watched, could you fill in some context for me? Pretty please :)

1. Did Santorum actually state that the biggest issue facing this country is that women are having more and more children out of wedlock?

2. Was one of the bigger exchanges really about funding Planned Parenthood and the candidates all pointing fingers? Did Santorum actually say he would outright defund it?

3. Was there really a "boooo" when Birth Control Pills were asked about?

4. Why are these debates not tackling "real issues" like gas prices, the economy as a whole, unemployment, housing markets and the like.

5. Seems like Ron Paul was kinda funny and a breath of fresh air by contrast.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

Why didn't Santorum have ashes on his forehead... did he not get them or wash them off to pander to someone???
  3. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

The debate was two hours long.The birth control issue was between 5- 10 minutes.
    CNN brought up the issue of Birth control.Not the candidates.
    The crowd booed CNN for bringing up birth control as did I.
    He did in the context of birth control.And in the context of the complete irresponible moral decay of the country to which I agree.
    They did.CNN would just rather point at the birth control issue to provide cover for the worst president in my lifetime.

Mitt Romney won the debate handsdown IMO.

Heres a transcript of the debate.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...publican-debate-arizona_631777.html?nopager=1
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Thanks for the info Patradomous.

I am not taking the candidates to task over the topics covered because as you pointed out the topics are picked for them. I just dont get why they continue to cover issues that at the end of day mean very little in terms of getting this country back on track.

Could be an agenda, maybe not. Maybe the right is more concerned with what my wife does with her body than they are about creating jobs, fixing taxes, gas prices and the effect they will have on everyone etc etc.

What moral decay do you speak of? Unmarried people having sex?
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

SANTORUM: What I was talking about is we have a society -- Charles Murray just wrote a book about this and it's on the front page of "The New York Times" two days ago, which is the increasing number of children being born out of wedlock in America, teens who are sexually active.

What we're seeing is a problem in our culture with respect to children being raised by children, children being raised out of wedlock, and the impact on society economically, the impact on society with respect to drug use and all -- a host of other things when children have children.

Over 40 percent of children born in America are born out of wedlock. How can a country survive if children are being raised in homes where it's so much harder to succeed economically? It's five times the rate of poverty in single-parent households than it is in two-parent homes. We can have limited government, lower tax -- we hear this all the time, cut spending, limit the government, everything will be fine. No, everything's not going to be fine.

There are bigger problems at stake in America.
    And someone has got to go out there -- I will -- and talk about the things.

SANTORUM:
    So while, yes, I -- I admit I voted for large appropriation bills and there were things in there I didn't like, things in there I did, but when it came to this issue, I proactively stepped forward and said that we need to do something at least to counterbalance it, A; B, I would say that I've always been very public that, as president of the United States, I will defund Planned Parenthood; I will not sign any appropriation bill that funds Planned Parenthood.

See Santorum response to #1 above.

He always is....too bad he's such a kook on so many issues.
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

impressive that a 3 year old can type!
  7. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I guess Rick's view is I am for small government except where issues of sex and women's body rights are concerned as those are the roots of all evil. Thats fine, he is obviously free to think that way, I just happen to disagree.

Its funny. I would agree with you that Ron Paul is kooky on some issues (while I agree in principle with others).

However, when compared to the Rick Santorums of the world, he seems sane by contrast.

Interesting times to be sure....
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

One of the interesting things, to me, anyhow, is that it doesn't appear any of the candidates are actually interested in getting enough votes to actually win the general election.....either that, or none of them can do the math.

We've heard Santorum's "40%" unwed births - here's Romney weighing in:

ROMNEY: John, you know, I think as Rick has just said, this isn't an argument about contraceptives, this is a discussion about, are we going to have a nation which preserves the foundation of the nation, which is the family, or are we not? And Rick is absolutely right.

When you have 40 percent of kids being born out of wedlock, and among certain ethnic groups the vast majority being born out of wedlock, you ask yourself, how are we going to have a society in the future? Because these kids are raised in poverty in many cases, they're in abusive settings. The likelihood of them being able to finish high school or college drops dramatically in single-family homes.

According to the Republican candidates, 40% of today's children are born to women out of wedlock. Iin spite of Santorum always being careful to add "teen mothers" or "children having children" after his little unwed mother speechs the statistical truth is, there are less and less "teen moms" nowdays. The little bit about "children having children" is untrue. The birth rate to teens of all races is at an all time low. Most of the women opting to have a child alone are in their 30s and 40s - and they are not "poor." They have made an informed choice and can generally afford their pregnancy and their prodigy.

That means most of those women having children are of voting age. How many of those women are going to vote for a guy who blames them for all the ills of the world and says, flat out, that their children are in abusive settings?

And how do any of them plan to (once again) make "the family the foundation" of our society if they have such a rigid idea of what "family" consists of?
  9. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

This is a completley false premise that the mainstream media wants you to believe. This is a boogie man issue that they leftwing media wants you to focus on.Instead of focusing on the disasterous economic policys of the Obma admin.Nobody cares what YOUR wife does with HER body.If YOUR wife wants contraception or abortion,I should not have to pay for it.Nor should the federal goverment FORCE a religious enitity to provide it. Would you have any objections if muslims children were forced to eat pork at a public school because it is a white meat? Of course you would and so would I.
    The number one reason people came to this country from Europe was for freedom of religion. Not for free rubbers.You PLAY.You PAY.

The moral decay I speak of is statistcal proof on how children of unwed mothers start behind behind the 8 ball.And how that fact it is the highest its ever been.People talk about having abortions like its taking out the trash.Abortion is now used a form of birth control instead of a last measure.
    If you can't afford your own contraception or own abortion you shouldn't be screwing....but asking people to take responsebility and paying for their own behavior is lot to ask in todays Obamanation.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

Islam doesn't call us "The Great Satan" for nothing.

The President:
    Somebody has to come along pretty soon that can get this "Obama Person" out of the White House or else the next four years are going to be a complete "horror show" people will suffer and There Wiil Be Riots In The Streets.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

More or less what he said. Remember the candidates are asked questions, and the topics, or direction of the debate is more or less shaped by the people hosting it.

I said the same thing to my brother as we watched the debate last night. That the people hosting the debates, i.e. CNN, etc. purposely avoid focusing on certain topics, and vice versa, to protect the current incumbent. That's my perception anyway. I just wish one of the paid lackey's on CNN's post debate show would have mentioned that, but people aren't going to criticize the people paying them, on the very show they're being paid for.
  12. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Trying to format my response correctly – I hope this works.
    I agree and I disagree –
    1. Seemingly people do care what women do to their bodies because this is a talking point FROM the Religious Right. The RR want to make a woman’s right to choose illegal. There is no boogy man in that regard that is a fact my friend.
    2. I agree you shouldn’t have to pay for a person to have one but having a publically funded option there for people who don’t have the finances on their own keeps that dreaded “children out of wedlock” number lower, no? So which is it? Do we have publically funded abortions or do we not, causing that other number to rise?
    3. Religious entities, who object to the practice, should not be forced to provide it. See my posts in the Birth Control and the Church Ruling if you must.
    Of course I would object to that.
    This is true, but this country is also setup for people to be “Free from Religion”. Just because some Religious whack job Pilgrims, who were so uptight about their beliefs that the Brits kicked em out(think about that for a second – TOO UPTIGHT FOR THE BRITS), came over here to be free to practice how they chose fits your statement, however that statement isn’t the full picture. Our country is about protecting all beliefs, not just those that fit a specific religion.
    I agree with your point about Abortion and how in some cases it is used. I personally know a girl who has had three, in lieu of going on the pill. While I am for a woman having a choice to have the procedure, I am against it being used as birth control. That being said I don’t think it is good practice to necessarily remove a right to someone based on the abuses of others. More personal responsibility is a given in almost all facets of our lives – but it has nothing to do with Obamanation. It’s been happening far longer than the last 3 years.
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +159 / 2 / -2

Women in Virginia (among other states) may disagree with you...
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

Guess you were not paying attention prior to 2009, but an interesting stat...

Kids Born to Unwed Moms Hit Record High - ABC News

More from the CDC Study..

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_01.pdf#table15
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

Along with six other states who get their rocks off by forcing women to have probes put into their vagina's...

Wonder what would happen if every time a man wanted to get a vasectomy they forced him prior to the procedure that that man have a cystocoscopy to insure that he is in good health???...
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

You're missing the point in some instances. The issue isn't about what women put into their bodies, or about women taking birth control. Abortion isn't part of this specific issue as has been created by the Obama Administration. It is directly related to the fact that the gubmit wants to force, or require religious institutions to provide BC to it's employees when doing so goes against the very fiber of their religious doctrine. That it's being twisted into that which it is not (womens reproductive rights) is by design, by the media.

Just because something is a "right", that doesn't mean it should be paid for, and provided by others. Abortions shouldn't be publically funded simply because people have a right to have one. Paying for, or subsidizing irresponsible, to bad behavior, only results in there being more of it.
  17. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Didn't the Pres already state that religious institutions would be exempt from the BC issue?

EDIT - BTW RW I already posted in the other thread that I was not supportive of the the gov requiring religious institutions to provide BC or other items which would go against their religious doctrines.

It it my opinion however that the discussion going in this thread is beyond that 1 part of the topic.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

One thing everyone keeps ignoring - the government is saying that a sevice (in this case, contraception) be provided for - not that it has to be used.

The doctrine of the church says "Don't use birth control," not "don't provide birth control."

The church has nothing to lose by simply making it available so long as the church's participants don't partake of it.

No one's being "forced" to do anything.
  19. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

The winner of last night's debate was...President Obama.
  20. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Yes, preach to them. That'll solve it.

Rubbers are less expensive to the nation than crime and food stamps.

If you're going to complain about the expanding national debt, then bringing back Nancy Reagan to reprise "Just Say No!" is a pathetic plan.