Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question about IPOD Touch

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Keegs, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Hey. I'm an idiot. I don't know much about IPods or IPOD Touches.

I was checking out the ipod touch and saw that they have internet.

Now if i buy one of these things, will i only be able to connect through a wifi at home or in a hotel or a "hotspot" like that?

are there other ways it connects to the internet through a service plan or something?

My main concern is the ability to use this to connect to the internet where my laptop cannot. Meaning a place without a wireless hotspot or whatever the hell you wanna call it.

does anyone know anything about this crap? i don't have a clue.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yep, it connects to wifi routers. From what I've read. No way I'm forking over $299 for an iPod.

3. Keegs

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

yeah so basically it does nothing more than what my laptop does.

Except you can touch the screen and use it that way. No thanks.

Thanks Michael.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  4. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +219 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I have an iTouch and I really like it. Its best feature is its screen - large and super clear. Great for watching TV shows and movies.

But keep in mind that I fly every week, literally, plus I spend hours in the car, so I get a ton of use out of it. Plus I don't get to watch TV shows on regular TV like you guys do. Right now I'm in the middle of season 6 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Michael is right, its connectivity is through wifi. I never bother connecting to anything with it. I use my laptop or BlackBerry for that.

PS - mine cost way more than $299. We have 8 iPods in our house now, though only 6 get regular use.

5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,715 / 9 / -20

#61 Jersey

I've been thinking of buying the iPod Touch as well, the 32gb version. Have you heard anything about whether a new generation with more memory storage is in the works? Just wondering if I should wait a bit until that happens, if/when it's planned. And, have you tried connecting to wifi with it while on the road, ever?

6. Patjew

Ratings:
    +219 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I have connected it to wifi while on the road without problems. I don't do it much, but I have tried and it works well.

I haven't heard anything about the next gen, sorry. You're right, memory is its shortfall.

7. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +135 / 4 / -1

IMO, the iTouch is way better than the regular iPod. I say it as someone who doesn't have either, but have used both and occassionally create videos designed for both for work. The screen on the regular iPod is fairly useless for watching videos as far as I'm concerned, whereas the iTouch has a great screen.

8. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -1

#17 Jersey

I agree. I have one as well (got it using credit card points), and it's terrific. I can't live without it.

The screen is very clear and surfing the internet works very well when you're in a Wifi Hotspot. The browser is better than any other hand held device I've ever owned, and the internet sites actually load correctly and look the way they should. One thing I really like about it is the e-mail interface (especially after the last update) is fantastic, and makes going through new messages and deleting ones extremely easy. Getting rid of spam is a breeze, and I also took it with me over the weekend to monitor the forum while we were away up north, and it saved me from having to bring my notebook.

I've read about people having an issues with the touchpad keyboard, but it hasn't been an issue for me. The keypad on the screen really does work well, and it does take a little getting used to. But one thing that I think is cool is that when you do make a mistake I would say 9/10 times it autocorrects to the word you meant to spell.

Not to mention the fact it's also an ipod, which is the main reason I got it. All the other benefits have just been an added bonus. The new application store is also great because there are a ton of free ones to download and has really opened up what it's capable of.

I agree with PatJew, movies and videos are ridiculously clear, which if you travel is invaluable. You can have everything right in your hand, without the need to bring a portable DVD player on business. Itunes also makes it very easy to load the movies onto it, and then remove them after the fact to make room for music, photos, etc. It's made me strongly consider an IPhone when my cell phone contract runs out now that they're $199.

Needless to say I definitely reccomend it. As for the question of 32GB if you don't mind spending the extra money by all means get it. But performance-wise I'm not aware of any huge benefits. One thing I'll warn you about, while the screen is very durable, you really want to make sure you put it in a pocket that you don't keep keys, change, etc. in. I messed a few times and got away with it, but finally one day I zoned and had it in there all day with my keys and I now have a tiny scratch. Thankfully I only really see it when it's off. - Ian

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  9. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -1

#17 Jersey

No, unfortunately you need the IPhone for that (and a data plan with your cell plan). The ITouch only works with WiFi.

But as I mentioned in the above post, if you only need it for e-mail and surfing the net, it will save you from having to bring your notebook with you when you're on vacation, on business, etc. at the hotel. - Ian

10. Keegs

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

that's cool.... i'm really thinking about getting one.

In a week or 2, i'll have just enough poker points to get the 32 gb one.

I don't think i've even heard enough songs though to fill it up:singing:

too bad you can't get a plan with it like the phone and you need to have a wifi signal to go online..... I always get the cheapest crappiest phones from Verizon and then whine about them for my entire 2 year contract. Maybe next time ill get whatever new iphone is out.

this is the phone i have now. Not very impressive.
    [​IMG]

11. Patjew

Ratings:
    +219 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Not true. That phone was very cool when they used it on Star Trek.

12. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah we went on vacation this summer and just brought the touch instead of the laptop, had all the functionality we needed, and were able to carry it in a pocket, pretty cool. Plus the screen size is great for actually being able to read stuff without killing your eyes. It was entertainment on the plane, internet connection at the hotel, and lullaby player for our baby daughter at night (and yes, we have some mini speakers, we didn't jam ear buds in her ears).

We don't have a big music/movie library so we were OK with the smaller capacity but I can see that as an issue for some.