PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about international NFL games

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Wondering of how and which team the NFL chooses to select to be the home team for the games outside of the USA other than just the normal schedule?

Is there a drawing or some kind or decision as to which of the 32 teams is the most unfortunate to have a home game taken away?

I think we are lucky because it was a 50-50 chance for NE to lose the HF game which could mean big down the road when teams want to have HFA and the 12th man rooting for them.

I think we are lucky because it was a 50-50 chance for NE to lose the HF game which could mean big down the road when teams want to have HFA and the 12th man rooting for them.

It seems to me that all of the games in London have had the team with the bigger market as the away team. (NYG, NE, Pitt, etc)

Just glad they chose the Pats this year. Can't wait to see them in the flesh

If you're talking about home games vs away games the game is considered a road game for each team, so the Pats this year would play 8 @ the Razor, 7 on the road in the U.S. and the 1 in London.

The first year and third year they went with teams that are popular in the UK (Miami, Giants and Patriots are probably the 3 most supported teams in the UK, The Buccs less so but still quite popular). After a poor game the first year (13-10), they went with two talented offensive teams the second year. Another reason behind the Pats and Buccs being chosen this year was that the Kraft and Glazer family were both very firmly supportive of this experiment and so i guess the NFL decided they had to put their money where there mouth was and with the Buccs being a smaller market team there is less uproar than there would be if the Pats were the home team.

Oh and it has always been and i assume always will be a interconference game.

If you're talking about home games vs away games the game is considered a road game for each team, so the Pats this year would play 8 @ the Razor, 7 on the road in the U.S. and the 1 in London.

But Tampa Bay gets fu(ked with 7 home games and 8 away games right?

For a team that is already 0-6 and not very good, taking a home game away is like adding sugar to a deep tooth cavity.

But Tampa Bay gets fu(ked with 7 home games and 8 away games right?

For a team that is already 0-6 and not very good, taking a home game away is like adding sugar to a deep tooth cavity.

Blame it on Malcolm Glazer.. he's the one who bullied his way into buying Manchester United, so every time the Bucs make a play, expect to hear the boos.

So make that 9 home games and 7 away :D

Last edited:
Blame it on Malcolm Glazer.. he's the one who bullied his way into buying Manchester United, so every time the Bucs make a play, expect to hear the boos.

So make that 9 home games and 7 away :D

I wish that were the case but 90% of the UK hates United so could either care less about the Bucs or even feel they are a team to suppot. I reckon it will be a 60/40 split this weekend and as such the players won't notice or care

why is that the case?

Because they are the biggest and best team. Unlike the NFL, in our football the best teams pretty much stay the best teams for decades and decades and long run of resentment is formed. There is no parity either, so they have more money then virtually every other team, so they often take smaller teams best players. (For example Man United bought my teams best player this summer for £16million)

There is also a hatred because they have so many fans all over the country. A lot of people dislike some of their players.

Bascially its the same reason why a lot of people hate the Patriots in America, they are considered one of the best teams. But the thing is, one day the Patriots will no longer be a contender and that hatred will fall, with Man United it will never fall.

Because they are the biggest and best team. Unlike the NFL, in our football the best teams pretty much stay the best teams for decades and decades and long run of resentment is formed. There is no parity either, so they have more money then virtually every other team, so they often take smaller teams best players. (For example Man United bought my teams best player this summer for £16million)

There is also a hatred because they have so many fans all over the country. A lot of people dislike some of their players.

Bascially its the same reason why a lot of people hate the Patriots in America, they are considered one of the best teams. But the thing is, one day the Patriots will no longer be a contender and that hatred will fall, with Man United it will never fall.

Isn't this even more reason for them to boo the Bucs?? ;)

Isn't this even more reason for them to boo the Bucs?? ;)

Not at all, it will be Man United fans booing the Buccs because of they hate beeing owned by the Glazer's. Then again, if you visit NFLUK.com forums, there is quite a lot of fans there that hate soccer. Im not sure it will be a big effect to be honest, the Pats fans will cheer for the Pats, the Buccs fans will cheer for the Buccs and the neutrals will pick a team to root for. I'd say the majority of neutrals will cheer for the Buccs, but that there will be a heck of a lot of Pats fans at the game so the crowd will be around 65/35-60/40 in favour of the Pats.

When you hear Manchester United, think Yankees. That about covers it.

Not at all, it will be Man United fans booing the Buccs because of they hate beeing owned by the Glazer's. Then again, if you visit NFLUK.com forums, there is quite a lot of fans there that hate soccer. Im not sure it will be a big effect to be honest, the Pats fans will cheer for the Pats, the Buccs fans will cheer for the Buccs and the neutrals will pick a team to root for. I'd say the majority of neutrals will cheer for the Buccs, but that there will be a heck of a lot of Pats fans at the game so the crowd will be around 65/35-60/40 in favour of the Pats.

Ok, let's try this:

A portion of the fans booing the Bucs because they are owned by the same family that owns Manchester United

A portion of the fans booing the Bucs simply because it is associated with Manchester

A portion of the fans who root for the Patriots

A portion of the fans who root for the Bucs

A portion of fans who are neutral, but will side with the winning team.

This means that it'll be 80/20 for the Patriots huh?

Teams are chosen somewhat arbitrarily. They ask for volunteers and they look at things like gate receipts and the Bucs will make more money on the overseas trip than if they stayed home. Plus the Glazers wanted to be the NFC team. And Kraft was willing to be the AFC team because he has business interests in London and he's seriously into branding for the international market (plus I believe it got us off the hook if they revisit that insane idea of a pre season game in China...).

I'd be interested in which team is designated as the home team. It sounds as though the home team gets a very large check from the NFL to make up for the loss of ticket and other revenue, and the teams have all agreed that it makes sense to play these games every year. (Goodell has said publicly that all 32 teams will go in the next 16 years, so we caught a break by not having to give up a home game.)

Maybe the money is offered to both franchises and they get to choose whether or not to take the offer. If the don't want it, I bet they flip a coin or something.

I'd be interested in which team is designated as the home team. It sounds as though the home team gets a very large check from the NFL to make up for the loss of ticket and other revenue, and the teams have all agreed that it makes sense to play these games every year. (Goodell has said publicly that all 32 teams will go in the next 16 years, so we caught a break by not having to give up a home game.)

Maybe the money is offered to both franchises and they get to choose whether or not to take the offer. If the don't want it, I bet they flip a coin or something.

The way the schedule rotates, this was the Patriots' year to play in Tampa. It wasn't up to the teams who gets to be the home team.

The Patriots, the team that is named after the American revolution, is going to London....:eek: Poor form.

So they're pretty much the Yankees :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye