PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question About Conditional Draft Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have been a fan of the pats and nfl since i was little. But i have not been a fan of all the indepth parts of the nfl like the later rounds of the draft and the salary cap or watching meaningless weak 17 games between 2 crap teams until a few years ago.

What i don't understand is the idea behind "conditional draft picks".... I hear this discussed on here a lot and recently read a post about how we should be getting maybe a 3rd round conditional pick for our losses this offseason.....

What exactly is a conditional draft pick......?
Is it in the regular nfl draft?
Is it in the supplemental draft???
How new is this whole thing??
an explanation of this would be appreciated.

thanks..

Last edited:
Keegs said:
I have been a fan of the pats and nfl since i was little. But i have not been a fan of all the indepth parts of the nfl like the later rounds of the draft and the salary cap or watching meaningless weak 17 games between 2 crap teams until a few years ago.

What i don't understand is the idea behind "conditional draft picks".... I hear this discussed on here a lot and recently read a post about how we should be getting maybe a 3rd round conditional pick for our losses this offseason.....

What exactly is a conditional draft pick......?
Is it in the regular nfl draft?
Is it in the supplemental draft???
How new is this whole thing??
an explanation of this would be appreciated.

thanks..
I think you are talking about compensatory picks....not conditional. I think we all know what conditional picks are in a trade...it is the compensatory picks that are given by the NFL at the end of a round.
I am sure there are others who will give you better and deeper answers.

"Based on the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement:
A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).
Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula that was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula. "

I think that sort of covers it. Players that have been cut or whose contracts have been terminated (Like McGinest) are not included ONLY UFAs.
Yes, these picks are in the NFL draft, added at the ends of rounds. I am not sure how many years this has been in effect, but it's been a number of years..nothing new.
Hope that helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back