PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about Belichick's/Kraft's FO's philosophies on paying players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just curious-it seems like Belichick and Kraft put more emphasis on making most of their investments in their front 7, especially their Dline.

I know you guys may have complaints about not doing the same with their secondary, as at times they'll let their guys walk, but the reason why I'm asking this is b/c recently in Dallas, Jerry has really put alot of investment in the secondary(i.e. Hamlin, Roy38, and Newman have recently gotten big paydays)...and it really has been to a point where we ended up letting key guys in the front 7 walk(i.e. Canty just yesterday, ILB Kevin Burnett who's our best pass coverage LB, just to name a few-it's no surprise that our front 7 has changed personalities every now and then).

Anyhow-was just curious what you thought overall of Belichick's philosophies when it comes to making investments in certain areas more than others.

BB feels that you build the D from the DLine outward. God only creates so many giants with quickness and strength that can combat two equally large men at one time. Using 3 DLinemen to battle 5 OLineman creates oppotunities for the other 8 defenders. BB has also been able to get his high first round picks (DL) up to speed in the rotation and starting lineup very quickly which adds to the economic decision of paying lineman big $.

As far as Bob Kraft goes, he has figured out that he's better off leaving all the football decisions to Belichick and the group he has assembled; he stays strictly on the business side of the equation.

As a FO person Belichick seems to evaluate personnel and assign them a specific value. If the contract demands from that player and his agent exceed Belichick's value, then he'll move on and not look back.

As a HC Belichick's schemes place much more importance on the front seven than on the secondary. The play of Wilfork and Seymour are vitally important to making this defense work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes