Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question 1 on MA ballot

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 2, 2008.

?

How will you vote on Question 1 to repeal the MA state income tax?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2008.
  1. I will vote NO

55.6%
  2. I will vote YES

38.9%
  3. I'm still not sure

5.6%
  1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

I had to put up a new thread because we had a member voting several times. This version will reveal who has voted.

How does everyone feel about the proposal to repeal the Massachusetts income tax as it is presented in question #1 on Tuesday's ballot.

I am against it. 100% against it. It would just open the door to increase taxes on everything from clothing to taking a bath.

How will you vote and why?
  2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am voting yes. It's all propaganda. I'll tell you why.

They can not raise property taxes. Only propostion 2.5 can do that.

Don't let anyone hear you say you will vote yes because you'll get an evil look. the governor implimenting these cuts is mighty convenient. it's a scare tactic.. watch them say suddenly because the question was voted no that they suddenly have money.

I don't see the tax getting cut. I see this as a negotiating point for a slight decreased in the income tax. Let's be real. We need to make a statement that taxes need to be cut at least a little but. do tollboth collectors need to be making 50-60k? troopers make obscene money on paid details and the unions getting their kiddie.

So you say you're afraid that they'll jack up other taxes? how? can't do so on property taxes without a vote. sales tax? then make monthly trips to a neighboring state to buy in bulk. how much could they really jack it up? tolls? tolls are ridiculous as they want to jack it up again and people in western mass are paying for the BIG Money Pit.

So I'm voting YES.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Maybe you're right, but I'm voting NO. I don't think 5% is unreasonable and I see revenues declining hugely as we head into an extended recession. For me, now is not the time.
  4. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

it's your choice. but I've heard we are the only state or in the minority for needing paid police details at construction sites. they don't call it taxachusetts for nothing.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

I've heard living in NH is even worse. Of course we can get rid of waste like paid details...that I can agree with.
  6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

NH is for nature people anyways. what do you expect:D
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

No one can vote multiple times. Lame excuse for starting a new thread because you didn't like the answers in your first thread.
  8. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes on 1
    As I stated in the first thread. More money in my pocket. What more needs to be said. And don't bother with all the "they'll throw the old people out on the streets, fire all the police and firemen etc. nonsense. Even if this passes (and I believe it will) it will NEVER be enacted.
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

at least enacted completely
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

So not even a mod can vote more than once?

What was bothering me is that people or I thought someone, was voting and not posting. If you're gonna vote, at least have the courage to state your case. Funny how the votes have changed since then.

Thank God it's a free country, huh?
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

VOTE YES!

I'm voting YES, and have been trying to convince everyone I know to also.
  12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

You're probably right about it never being enacted...same as the gay marriage vote, right?

Personally, more money in my pocket isn't the most important thing in my life. If that was the case, I would have gotten a job as a stock broker. In all honesty, if I actually knew the truth about waste and cronyism, maybe I'd vote yes.

But I really don't think now is the time to dramatically cut state revenues. I think we have enough to worry about with the recession.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Why are you voting yes? Hey, people do things that are wrong all the time.

At least that's not as bad as people who are going to vote for it because it puts more money in their pockets. Hell if that were a good reason, then people would wrongly support economic stimulus packages as well. :rolleyes:

I sent an email to about 20 people I know last week asking them to vote NO. So far, I've received twice as many who will vote NO than YES. I've gotten more than 10 resonses.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  14. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I work for the STATE why would I vote YES????? OH NO, RW's going to HATE me now.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

He might not mind as long as your salary is under $30K:rolleyes:

I've know quite a few people who work for the state. Although I have to admit, every single one of them have their jobs because they knew someone (or someone who knew someone). I would be nice if those jobs were more fairly allocated.

But I don't knock you for a system that existed long before you got your job. I'm glad you're voting NO.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The only reason we're called Taxachusettes is because Taxassippi doesn't have the same cache, even if its more accurate.

Of course us residents owe thanks to the countless folks who play the lootery obsessively, not to the statehouse. I'm baffled by the people who can tell you exactly how much better the odds of Keno are in Vegas vs here yet still must have a ticket going for 4-5 hours a day.
  17. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There are many states that do not have a state income tax and they are just fine, Florida to name just one, and we make up the loss in money with a tourism tax.

I would think the Ma area with Boston being a Major city could through on a tax on hotel rooms, rental cars, and other touristy thing to make up for it.

Either way, for a nothern state to not have an income tax would be huge, and it would save the real estate market there as so many people would move to MA to save 5-7% on their paycheck.

Here in Florida, I moved from NY for the exact same pay, and I felt like I got a huge raise becuase there is no income tax... IT's the only way to go.. Less taxes puts more money in your hands to spend else where, the tax revenue will get into the government some how.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Well if no taxes is THAT good, let's drop the FEDERAL income tax too!!

Death & Taxes my friend....Death & Taxes!
  19. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

We have to Tax... Becuase we have to fund the government, but I believe Taxes need to be removed from Force, and applied to choice. Meaning, remove a tax that you have to pay no matter what in income tax. And replace it with a tax that you pay whne you choose to do something. Like buy things, and Rent cars.

Income tax is a forced tax that you have no choice over. If you apply your tax to something like a sales tax, then you can choose to reduce your tax by buying less expensive items, or lower cost options...

I am all for paying taxes, but give me some choice, let me know that if I buy a Boat, I'm going to pay 4k in taxes, or if I choose to buy the expensive brand, I pay a little more tax.

I understand that perhaps it disuades people from buying more expensive items, but it will re-enforce furgalness which the American people need right now.
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

I'm voting YES because the state is grossly over taxing it's residents. The state is one of the most inefficient, and overbloated in the country. Until someone takes an axe to the hands that constantly reach into my pocket, the thievery will never stop. So by voting YES, we, the people, will be able to send a Shock & Awe message, via Molotov ****tail, to the state house, stating that WE'VE HAD ENOUGH!. When the state/city gubmits are giving free apartments to illegal aliens, free med to them, and is adding on hundred of millions of extra dollars to a budget in April, then crying about a billion dollars deficit in September, it's time to start firing rounds in the gubmits direction. When everyone knows that tough times, and lean budgets are on the horizon, and the governor adds 2,000 jobs to the state payrolls in his first two years, it's time to start firing rounds in the gubmits direction. When the City of Boston has over 400 employees making six figures, it's time to start firing rounds into the gubmits direction. Forget the BS about schools not getting any books. That's total BS. Eliminating the state payroll tax will mean that people like Obama's illegal aunt will just have to be cut from my wallet, and the Waltham Tourism Council will have to find it's $100k elsewhere. It'll mean that we have to try to educate kids for a little less than the $15k per pupil, yes, that's $15k per pupil, each year. My friends who work for the cities and state in this state, will have to actually do something, as opposed to talk to me about how they sleep all day. :mad: