PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quentin Groves on Pats radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

Al's Draft Scoop...Auburn DE/OLB will be working out at Auburn's Pro Day (today), but Groves also has private visits scheduled with the New York Jets and the New England Patriots this week.

Can't you see "the Rat" really sticking it to us and taking him at the top of in Round 2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Al's Draft Scoop...Auburn DE/OLB will be working out at Auburn's Pro Day (today), but Groves also has private visits scheduled with the New York Jets and the New England Patriots this week.

Can't you see "the Rat" really sticking it to us and taking him at the top of in Round 2 ?
Groves isn't going to be around for the beginning of round two. We'd have to trade down to no later than the middle of round one to feel decent about getting him and even at #7 he wouldn't be an unreasonable pick. He's almost as impressive physically as Gholston (combine numbers anyway) and is a little more ready to play OLB in the NFL IMO.

Didn't someone post that Jacksonville is very high on Groves?

Hard to imagine Groves making it to the second round.

Didn't someone post that Jacksonville is very high on Groves?

Hard to imagine Groves making it to the second round.

We'll see what happens after his Pro Day today. The Jags love him if he's there at 26, but we'll see how he performs today. If the Jets take DMac, I can see them dealing up for him into the bottom of the round.

Groves would appear to be pretty much perfect for what the Patriots need in the short term, the next 3-5 years, in order to establish Dynasty part II: a pass-rushing monster.

Again, I can't stress enough how much I hate that Goodell has robbed us of #31. I'd love to get Clady at 7, 31 could've been used to move up and get Groves... :mad:

Groves is in my `mock listed in this forum ... Drew4008 said I was out of my element (perhaps not Drew). I think Groves would make a good Patriot and offers alot of value both in terms of $$$ paid to him and what we would get in trade by going down.

I am 99% certain we are not picking at #7 and I'm 80% certain we are not even going to pick in the top 15 ... makes too much sense that we trade down ... guys at the bottom of round 1 are just as good as those below the 10-12 range.

We'll see ... always fun to do all this hypothesizing ... helps the season come along faster.

guys at the bottom of round 1 are just as good as those below the 10-12 range.

I disagree. Groves will not be around at the bottom of the 1st round. He will probably last to the mid 1st, but wouldn't be there at 31. The other factor you neglect to take into account is that a guy taken at #13 can be signed to a 6 year deal. A guy taken at #22 can only be signed to a 5 year deal, and thus is free to seek free agency and BIG $$ all the sooner.

The visit Groves has scheduled with NE is a private visit at Gillette. He's also got private visits scheduled with the Cincy and Pitt (Tomlin really likes him). The 49ers are interested in him as well, and sent scouts to watch & interview him at Auburns Pro Day.

At Auburns Pro Day he decided to mostly focus on D-line and LB drills, and stood on most of his times from the combine. He did improve his vertical to 35inches. If I get any other numbers/info I'll be sure to post it here.

PS: I wanted to take the time to address something I had noticed posted on this message board. I can't remember the poster, but someone had suggested Groves wasn't very intelligent. That notion seems kind of funny to me, considering he graduated in 3 years at Auburn. He's also married, and a really down to earth guy, if you ever get the chance to meet him.

Last edited:
The visit Groves has scheduled with NE is a private visit at Gillette. He's also got private visits scheduled with the Cincy and Pitt (Tomlin really likes him). The 49ers are interested in him as well, and sent scouts to watch & interview him at Auburns Pro Day.

At Auburns Pro Day he decided to mostly focus on D-line and LB drills, and stood on most of his times from the combine. He did improve his vertical to 35inches. If I get any other numbers/info I'll be sure to post it here.

PS: I wanted to take the time to address something I had noticed posted on this message board. I can't remember the poster, but someone had suggested Groves wasn't very intelligent. That notion seems kind of funny to me, considering he graduated in 3 years at Auburn. He's also married, and a really down to earth guy, if you ever get the chance to meet him.

Regarding your PS, you can be intelligent, but not have football intelligence. And vice versa. Not sure what marriage and being down to earth has to do with being intelligent either.

In either case, if the Pats take groves, I wouldn't be surprised if it was via a trade down to the 12-15 range.

I would not be unhappy at all to have the PATs trade down to 13-15, take Groves with that pick and the use the extra 2nd to take a cornerback (Cason, Porter, Godfrey, Flowers). In fact, if they did that, I wouldn't mind using both 2nds for cornerbacks .

Regarding your PS, you can be intelligent, but not have football intelligence. And vice versa. Not sure what marriage and being down to earth has to do with being intelligent either.

In either case, if the Pats take groves, I wouldn't be surprised if it was via a trade down to the 12-15 range.

The person I'm talking about was questioning his overall intellect, not his football IQ. It's not a big deal, but it was worth mentioning as that opinion seemingly goes against what is actually known about the man.

The other things I mentioned about his personal life weren't actually brought up to prove his intellect, but to add more to the overall picture of Quentin. I can see how it would seem that way though. I actually believe people should wait until they're 25-30 to get married, but that's an opinion for the off topic forum...

Trading down and taking Groves in that range has been among the ideas I've thought most plausible.

Question, what do you think of Trading down, and picking someone in that range (12-16), then using some of their later picks to trade up into the tail of round one, or the top of round two?

The problem with Groves, from what I've seen, is that he's really not a physical football player. He's aone-dimensional edge rusher who just his beats his man around the end. This won't cut it in the NFL. He definitely has the size and speed combo, but I'm not sure if he has the hand technique and leverage to set the edge on running plays and develop a variety of pass rush moves to truly be an impact player.

Merging my thoughts with another thread, I actually prefer Harvey. Not quite the explosive athlete Groves is, but a much better "football" player imo. He uses his hands well, can set the edge and disengage against the run, and is a good pass rusher as well. He actually reminds me a lot of Willie McGinest.

Well physicality can be taught, if guys around you play with emotion and all out abandon, Rodney Harrison, Teddy Bruschi, Jr Seau, it'll becomes contagious and he will rise his emotions and desire to play hard.
In college most defensive players don't go full throttle most want to land nfl deals to feed their families that's why you always hear doesn't play to the whistle or isn't showing intensity on every play.
Shoot a guy who shows intensity 70 percent of the time has a terrific combine will get drafted 99 percent of the time higher then the guy that went balls to to wall couldn't participate in the combine due to a critical injury.
I really think this is one of the reason teams find diamond in the roughs once they're taken care of financially they can focus on playing balls to the wall football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down