PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quentin Groves -- Chick-Fil-A Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarakotas5

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Anybody else watch this game with an eye on him?

Yikes!

He was not only a non-entity on defense, he just wasn't even there. On a particularly crucial goal-line stand, he was not only not in position, he was literally pulling a "huh, what's goings on?"

Am I being hard on the guy? Admittedly, I was distracted from this game by other things, but I was trying to keep tabs when they were on defense as his name has come up on this board a few times.

I've seen a few Auburn games this year and he never surfaced to me. His name was called a few times, and I know he is highly regarded, but I never noticed. So, when I did pay attention to this game, I focused on him.

To me, from what I saw, he was atrocious. Am I wrong?

EDIT: I ask because a few of the draftees on this board have brought him up. He's regarded as a 1st rounder. Not at 7, but perhaps in the 20s, where the Pats might pick if they do trade down.

Last edited:
I took him on my list earlier in the year, he shows no heart at all. He has been banged up so that could be a reason.

He will show very well at the combine and should still stay in the 20-40 range but for now I have scratched his name out.

Groves picked up another injury during that game.

For those who didn't watch (or didn't notice) the injury. Groves was pressuring the QB, making contact with his hand/arm just as the QB released the ball. After the play Groves was on the ground in pain, and I believe holding one of his hands. After that particular play I didn't notice him much. He did reroute a RB later in the game (had good tech on this play), but again, I didn't notice him much after the injury.

Really, it's to bad this guy's had to fight through these different injuries all season, as he's been a force throughout his college career, and hadn't fought through a substantial amount of injuries up to this point.

He's still recorded a bunch of QB hurries and hits, but his sack numbers are down, which could suggest the dislocated toes he suffered earlier this year have slightly effected his speed. He had started off fast this year, too.

We'll see how he does at the combine and his pro day, as I still think he's a talented player.

I saw that too Seb. However I thought that before the injury, he was playing a good game, but Clemson didn't come his way much. I thought he played the run better early in that game than he had all season long.

I think he will run in the low 4.5's or high 4.4's at the combine and if he has a good Senior bowl, he will skyrocket back into the middle to upper first round.

I saw that too Seb. However I thought that before the injury, he was playing a good game, but Clemson didn't come his way much. I thought he played the run better early in that game than he had all season long.

I think he will run in the low 4.5's or high 4.4's at the combine and if he has a good Senior bowl, he will skyrocket back into the middle to upper first round.

I thought he started the game out pretty good, as well. I mean, he was putting pressure on the QB when he got injured. After the injury he missed a number of snaps, and didn't make many plays when he returned to the field (I did like the rerout though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back