Quasi OT: Changes to Sunday Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I jut got my DirectTV bill and ouch and yeah...

The ouch is Sunday Ticket is $300, (6 payments of $49.99 (which my WHRHS degree says adds up to $299.94)).

The yeah is that they have done away with the Superfan and just incorporated everything into the Sunday Ticket, so you get all the games (in HD), the Redzone channel, the game mix, and the short cuts (games condensed down into 30 minutes (just the plays no huddles or commericals).

I'm considered in both the Falcons and Jags home markets, so I'm subject to the Jags blackouts, and I would most likely have a bar bill over the $300 if I had to go out to watch the games, so I stickin, but that's alot of cake, I wonder if they are going to lose subscribers?

Yeah, I finally live in a place where I can get HD DirecTV service. I was fully anticipating paying the extra $100 for Superfan, so for me I'm saving money.

One of the few times Canada's got a better deal. I pay 30 bucks a month for 4 months and then cancel. This also gets me Baseball, Hockey, Basketball & Nascar though I don't care much about them.

The downside is about only half the games are in HD but the Pats are almost always in HD except maybe one or 2 games a year.

that reminds me I've got to call and cancel to "to-go" package. additional $10/month to be able to watch on my computer or cell phone? no thanks.

That reminds me, I need to call my cuz. Hey, you don't mind a swingbox on your tv do you?

Yea I paid extra for superfan last season as well so I guess I will actually come out a little better with the way they're gonna package ST.

It's whatever anything to see my pats they have all those suffering form displaced fan syndrome over a barrel I'm afraid

I've actually been debating this with myself all summer. I am really hurting for money this year and am wondering if it's worth it.

The last few years I justified it by saying that since I wasn't going to see the Pats in person anymore, $250 to see every game on TV wasn't a bad deal. You're going to spend at least that much (or darn close) just to go to one game between the tickets, hotel, gas, etc. (let alone if you have to fly.)

However now that I'm actually trying to be responsible and not just put anything I can't afford right away on my credit card, I doubt I'll be able to afford an extra $50 each month. :eek:

All of this ties in to my earlier rants that the league is getting too big. They're so concerned about money, money, money, revenue, revenue, revenue, that they're pricing average joes like me right out of the market.

I also know that at least one other subscriber, my uncle, has cancelled; but I can't discuss his reasons here, it would have to go in the Political forum. :rolleyes:

Hey Peeps,

I called directv to cancel my sunday ticket (for real) cos I didn't wanna pay $300+ for it. I was really polite. The rep asked if I enjoyed it last year. I told her I did but i couldn't afford it this year. Then she asked if I would still keep it if I only had to pay $29.99 for 6 months instead of $49.99. A $120 savings. This happened yesterday. Merry Christmas in July!

Nab

Last edited:
One of the few times Canada's got a better deal. I pay 30 bucks a month for 4 months and then cancel. This also gets me Baseball, Hockey, Basketball & Nascar though I don't care much about them.

The downside is about only half the games are in HD but the Pats are almost always in HD except maybe one or 2 games a year.

Not every football game used to be taped in HD so this might have been the issue. I believe now and maybe even last year they have begun taping them all in HD. So unless Canada does something different with the broadcast of it this should be corrected.

Hey Peeps,

I called directv to cancel my sunday ticket (for real) cos I didn't wanna pay $300+ for it. I was really polite. The rep asked if I enjoyed it last year. I told her I did but i couldn't afford it this year. Then she asked if I would still keep it if I only had to pay $29.99 for 6 months instead of $49.99. A $120 savings. This happened yesterday. Merry Christmas in July!

Nab

I will definitely try that... :rocker:

Somebody has to provide insurance to cover the $700 million to $1 billion lost in the event of a lock-out. It should come as no surprise that the "somebody" will be the consumers, now and later. I probably should check that subscription agreement and make sure I am not signing on to pay for next season as well, whether the NFL plays or not.

Hey Peeps,

Nab

Dude, you are the MAN!!! Just got off the phone with them, thanks for saving me $120 bucks!!!!! Plus they threw in a new remote when I told them that mine was acting up!

Hey Peeps,

Nab

Hey thanks for the heads up. I'm in.

Sirius will do this too if anyone is interested.

I called also and said I couldn't afford it hoping for a discount. They did the the whole selling part on why it is so great, and I agreed with him but said it was too much. Then he offered the deal for 180. i said "that works." And I imagine I'll be doing that every year from now on.

I've had it for 5-6 years now - it is very good, no question. But I just came to the conclusion they hold all the cards and it's simply too much. I'd like to see more selective opportunities to save money - be able to purchase one team, or 1 conference, etc.

So I cancelled, they did offer me the same discount by the way, but my mind was made up.

Not every football game used to be taped in HD so this might have been the issue. I believe now and maybe even last year they have begun taping them all in HD. So unless Canada does something different with the broadcast of it this should be corrected.

I know in the States, they started airing all the games in HD a year or two ago but not in Canada. Here, they normally only have 3 HD channels and 7 or 8 regular channels. Hopefully, they will increase the number of games in HD this year which they did last year.

I'd like to see more selective opportunities to save money - be able to purchase one team, or 1 conference, etc.

I like that idea, I've been hoping they would do that for years. Besides, you can really only watch one game at a time, particularly during the early game time slot when most of them are on. It's different for the late game when there's usually only three or four on.

With the early bird special last year I got SundayTicket for $140 Cdn. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe all the games were televeised in HD. All the Pats ones were anyway, but that would be because my LSP has Boston channels as one of the affiliates it uses.

Hey Peeps,

Nab

Dude, you just saved me $120.00. You have to go to the second level representative ( one who handles cancellations)
to get the discount.....

Last edited:
Glad you all are getting the discounts. Kindly deposit $10 into my paypal account... just kidding... :p

Do you guys know if we get all pre-season games on sunday ticket? The pats play thursday right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing