Welcome to PatsFans.com

QB Zac Robinson

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by drew4008, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drew4008

drew4008 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What do you guys think of this guy's potential? Obviously a 7th round QB selection isn't going to turn many heads, and it's going to be an uphill battle, but I'm glad we picked him. A couple notable quotes I found:

2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

He's my official no 1 rookie binky.

Here's a little clip from NFL.com NFL Videos: Exclusive Draft Buzz

As Patchick sagely pointed out, he has the main qualification to be a late-round NE quarterback -- the mane! In fact, I'd put him in the Sanchez/Elliot Gould class when it comes to rug coverage.

It could work out -- why not (well, apart from the fact that I'm rooting for him ;))?

3. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I see the big hand in the sky sweeping this over to the UDFA thread, soon.

4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I watched a draft piece about several QB's training for the combine and kind of wrote this kid off as too telegenic, cavalier, almost ****y. He doesn't seem like a fit for the system. Not a scrambler per se but too fast not to fall back on it. Didn't play in a pro system and will have to adjust to reading without purely being in a shotgun. Reminded me a little to much of KOC, who also didn't strike me as a system fit. Maybe Bill can break him down.

I had my eye on Hiller, a kid who had to overcome some adversity, and Polian nabbed him as an UDFA. Supposed to be fairly cerebral if not as purely athletically gifted at first glance... But I think Bill clearly picks some as system fit backups that could potentially emerge and others as purely potential developmental chips to be flipped. The only problem in that regard seems to be his unwillingness to showcase prospects at the expense of more lofty goals from pre season to post season. And his aversion to hanging on to the ones like KOC who beyond that rookie first blush utterly fail to grasp the system in it's entirety and their need to develop within it.

5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +947 / 17 / -8

#3 Jersey

A. He was drafted.
    B. Patchick was referring to MY discovery. :D

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'll be shocked if he makes the 53 as we went with 2 QB last year (when Hoyer was a rookie) and there's so much competition now. Robinson would make a nice PS guy.

More interesting will be how Hoyer looks, it sounds like they really like him.

7. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +239 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

A friend of mine is Friends with his mother (or stepmother or future stepmother).

The guy is hoping he makes the team because he might get some seats out of it.

The mother called him after he was drafted to fnid out more about the area.

I know I know one of those former roomates cousins friends sister deal.

So what does that make us?...absolutely nothing.

8. amazinPats

amazinPats Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it is time for us to start carrying three quarterbacks, especially if one of them is developmental. Sure it costs another player a roster spot, but qbs are good trade material if they show some ability, and we cannot keep them.

9. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

:youtheman:

And your reward is ...

Next year you can put together the All-Hairy entry for the Draft Picks contest (to go with All-Florida and All-Brandon). :)

10. tombonneau

tombonneau In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Why have constructive threads focused on individual UDFA players when you can just glom them all together into one massive, direction-less blob? :rolleyes:

11. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +947 / 17 / -8

#3 Jersey

And that blob would still be a better quarterback than JaMarcus Russell. :p

12. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +947 / 17 / -8

#3 Jersey

Heh. Seriously, though, my only point there was not that he needs an impressive coif, merely that in recent years the Pats have reserved UDFAs for "follicularly challenged" QBs. :)

13. tombonneau

tombonneau In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Hahhaha. Well played. It took until Friday, but I've found my post of the week. :)

14. JMarr

JMarr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0

I think BB is looking for the next TB in this guy. Will it happen? Probably not. But, like Cassel, Robinson is going to have three or four years learning from the best.

I saw a lot of OSU games and Robinson really impressed me. Nothing flashy, just poised, consistent, and made intelligent decisions. Well worth a 7th IMO.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  15. zipster9

zipster9 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +13 / 4 / -4

I don't believe so. I think Zac will be fighting Hoyer for the 2nd spot. Zac has a good chance.

2011 draft will have 3-4 very good QBs, probably 3 of them in 1st round. With our Oakland pick (hopefully top-5), we get a chance to pick Locker or Luck. This is the chance to get the next franchise-QB.

Next year, Brady will be 34. It takes 2yrs to groom a QB in your system. So, it would be an opportune time to pick a QB in round-1.

16. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +737 / 16 / -6

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]

17. PatsCanDoIt

PatsCanDoIt Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Zac wouldn't have been drafted if he didn't have a shot at making the team. Bill likes to add new QB competition every year it seems. If Hoyer shows more improvement and Zac improves during camp, then Bill will find a way to keep both. If Zac doesn't get better, then he's gone. If Hoyer regresses, then Bill will cut him. Last year Hoyer proved he had poise and accuracy when pressured. At least Zac's mobile enough to stay alive during preseason.

18. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +217 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

I agree. This was an extremely deep draft, with BB even trading up in the 7th round to secure a player he wanted, so the fact that he got drafted means BB expects him to at least have a chance to make the team. I don't think even Zac Robinson would expect to beat out Hoyer for the second spot (though stranger things have happened), but he could at least show enough to stick as a 3rd QB who could develop. It's quite rare for us (or anyone) to only carry 2 QBs all season long, and if Zac can prove himself worth a roster spot, BB will find one for him.

19. PatsFanStnfrd

PatsFanStnfrd Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

BB chose Zac Robinson over J. Snead who went undrafted. Needed a QB for minicamp.

20. JMarr

JMarr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0

Wow. Did Coach tell you this himself? Sorry, but you don't use a draft pick on a QB just as camp fodder. There are literally dozens of UDFAs who can fill that role.

Some people are literally in denial that, in all likelihood, Brady is NOT going to be playing for the NE Patriots in 5 years--maybe less than that.

There is plenty of room to upgrade Hoyer as the backup. Hell, we just need a second backup period. (Stanback and Edelman are not legit back up QBs at this point). Stanback will be lucky to make the 53.

Robinson was grossly underrated by most people,. He was a solid QB in the second best conference in the NCAA who fell into the 7th partly due to injury concerns. I remember reading that some teams had a 4th-5th round grade on him, and some scouting reports listing "makes intelligent decisions" and "coachable" as two of his strengths. Hmm, off the top of my head, who does that kind of remind me of? :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.