PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB, RB, TE - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexter McCluster is probably my favorite rb out of this draft. Of all the workouts for offensive players, his and Greshams interest me the most.

I got a feeling his 40 time is gonna be off the hook. What impressed me most in some of his runs this year is the way he could run between the tackles and take it outside. He makes guys miss and he bounces off people pretty darn well against stellar competition in the SEC.

His size is definately a factor, he has got to be under 6'0 and probably only weighs a buck70. His frame should be able to take on another 10 pounds or so but I don't think I'm going to hold it against the guy. From what I've seen he runs like an NFL running back. I'd hate to make comparisons so I won't. To me he's a cross between a feature back and an excellent 3rd down back.

It's not a dire need for the Pats but it definately could only help the offense tremendously if they drafted this kid in the 2nd.

I don't really worry about a RB's 40 time. I think this kid has excellent agility and the break away speed to do just fine in the NFL. I think he compares quite favorably to a Darren Sproles. I'd be willing to take him in the late 2nd, but preferrably mid 3rd with the life span being so short for that position.

I don't really worry about a RB's 40 time. I think this kid has excellent agility and the break away speed to do just fine in the NFL. I think he compares quite favorably to a Darren Sproles. I'd be willing to take him in the late 2nd, but preferrably mid 3rd with the life span being so short for that position.

Expect him to be more like Harvin than Sproles. A RB breaks arm tackles by delivering their mass to the defender quickly. The greater their mass the less quick they need to be. But they still need to be quick. Therefore, his speed needs to be ridiculous to compensate for his low mass.

Also, Spoles has bigger and stronger legs while Dexter is built like Darius Butler, except smaller. Would you expect Darius to run the ball? I like Dexter, but as a Percy Harvin type.

Watched about half of that highlight tape. Gerhart runs way to high. Sure he breaks a tackle when someone goes at him from the side, but I didnt see him doing much when hit head up. His "elusiveness" was enough to miss major contact, but the d usually got enough of him to slow him down. At the next level those misses are probably tackles, especially when factoring in the upright style. Add in the lack of speed and I don't think he does much in the NFL. Good college story though.

Also, it looked like he had some pretty massive holes to run through. Maybe we should be looking at the Stanford o-line?

Liked the Tate interview. I think the kid is going to be a star in NFL if given the carries. Hope the Pats manage to grab him.

Last edited:
I'm finding that the more scouting reports I read about this year's RBs, the more my own impressions are confirmed. Bottom line is that I'm not sufficiently impressed with ANY of these guys wrt to how they'd fit into the Pats offense to take one before the third round. Each seems to have one or two strengths to balance any number of flaws including size, heft, power, decisiveness, vision, receiving ability, pass-protection chops, etc. Sure, receiving and pass-blocking may be able to be "fixed" through coaching. But, then, the question becomes - how high a pick do you want to spend on a guy who needs "fixing" in two key parts of his game (if those can be fixed at all with a particular guy)?

There's no "savior" back for us in this group, that should be clear. There are a few guys who appear to be sufficiently complete, even if a little slow, that they could be significant contributors, and an upgrade to someone, in our RBBC scheme. And it appears that at least a couple of those guys should still be available after the 2nd Round.

Defense and (maybe) a WR with the first four picks; RB, TE and another WR after the 2nd Round.

Ben Tate is the 4th ranked RB in Auburn history! Talk about being under the radar! I'm an Auburn grad and fan and I had no idea... He ranks 10th all-time in all-purpose yards, showing his versatility.

Bo Jackson, Lionel James, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Wms, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Stephen Davis, James Bostic, Brent Fullwood, Rudy Johnson, and for you NYG fans, Brandon Jacobs and Tucker Fredrickson (back in the day) are some well known players for the Tigers. And don't forget the great Jimmy Hitchc0ck!

So 4th is pretty impressive in this list. He's battle tested against top quality SEC teams too. If he is still on the board in the 4th rnd, somebody is going to get a steal. For Tate, I hope the combine really helps him.

Last edited:
I'm with you there. Between him and bell possibly being available in the 4th/5th, I think either of them would be absolute steals for whoever gets them. I'll be clamoring for Tate until draft day, but have a feeling we'll miss him when he ends up going in the 3rd.

Ben Tate is the 4th ranked RB in Auburn history! Talk about being under the radar! I'm an Auburn grad and fan and I had no idea... He ranks 10th all-time in all-purpose yards, showing his versatility.

Bo Jackson, Lionel James, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Wms, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Stephen Davis, James Bostic, Brent Fullwood, Rudy Johnson, and for you NYG fans, Brandon Jacobs and Tucker Fredrickson (back in the day) are some well known players for the Tigers. And don't forget the great Jimmy Hitchc0ck!

So 4th is pretty impressive in this list. He's battle tested against top quality SEC teams too. If he is still on the board in the 4th rnd, somebody is going to get a steal. For Tate, I hope the combine really helps him.

I also like Tate a lot. He can also catch a little and appears to be a willing blitz protector. In my mind, drafting him depends on how he runs.

Another Tiger I really like is the center Pugh. Smart, tough and really explodes off the LOS. He has some issues athletically, but I think he would be a great C/OG backup type for us, that eventually takes over at C.

As far as I am concerned BB can stay in the state of Alabama and come out with a whale of a draft.

ILB - McClain
NT - Mt. Cody
OG - Johnson
CB - Jackson
OLB - Lang (Troy)
RB - Tate
TE - Peek
C - Pugh
QB - Brown (Troy)
SS - Wooddall

I also like Tate a lot. He can also catch a little and appears to be a willing blitz protector. In my mind, drafting him depends on how he runs.

Another Tiger I really like is the center Pugh. Smart, tough and really explodes off the LOS. He has some issues athletically, but I think he would be a great C/OG backup type for us, that eventually takes over at C.

As far as I am concerned BB can stay in the state of Alabama and come out with a whale of a draft.

ILB - McClain
NT - Mt. Cody
OG - Johnson
CB - Jackson
OLB - Lang (Troy)
RB - Tate
TE - Peek
C - Pugh
QB - Brown (Troy)
SS - Wooddall

Pretty impressive group you came up with Ochmed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back